Pro roller hockey

puckcool22

i remember when i was younger watching pro roller hockey games on espn 2.  those were the days when espn 2 showed rare things, like lacrosse and inline hockey, and now it just shows whatever nba or ncaa basketball game they arent showing on espn.  Does professional roller hockey still exist???
signature.gif

The RHI went out of business a few years ago....good thing too cause out of the 40 or so teams that went thru that league,there were maybe 3-4 good logos lol....there is a sorta kinda pro...(the call it AAA) roller league,you will find there site at MLRH

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

RHI... those were the days.  I had St. Louis Vipers season tickets in 1995 (and got to play rollerhockey on the floor at Kiel Center), then Minnesota Blue Ox season tickets at Mariucci Arena in 1999, the attempted revival year (where there were about 300 people at each game).

Good times.  I got a chance to get to know a few of the players from the Vipers, they'd come skate with the crowd after games.  They even recognized me when I would see them out of town, it was quite cool.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

RHI... those were the days. I had St. Louis Vipers season tickets in 1995 (and got to play rollerhockey on the floor at Kiel Center), then Minnesota Blue Ox season tickets at Mariucci Arena in 1999, the attempted revival year (where there were about 300 people at each game).

Good times. I got a chance to get to know a few of the players from the Vipers, they'd come skate with the crowd after games. They even recognized me when I would see them out of town, it was quite cool.

When did they name an arena after former 49er head coach Steve Mariucci?

LOL

Ah yes roller hockey.  Got to see hands down the sexiest hockey player of all time (Manon Rheaume) play in Sacramento for the River Rats at Arco Arena.  The cult that was Sly Naud and Sasha "Pit Bull" Lakovic played for the Oakland Skates.  Of course no one will ever forget Mark Woolf bringing home the first "major" professional championship to San Jose for the Rhinos.  

The problem was the teams didn't have stable ownership, the league grew too fast, and no MAJOR marketing.  Despite landing a huge deal with ESPN and its then X-treme brother, espn2, it couldn't get people to come in.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Oh. No. He. Didn't.  :o

http://www.gophersports.com/Facilities/mariucci.asp

READ!

:D

POTD 2013-08-22

RHI... those were the days. I had St. Louis Vipers season tickets in 1995 (and got to play rollerhockey on the floor at Kiel Center), then Minnesota Blue Ox season tickets at Mariucci Arena in 1999, the attempted revival year (where there were about 300 people at each game).

Good times. I got a chance to get to know a few of the players from the Vipers, they'd come skate with the crowd after games. They even recognized me when I would see them out of town, it was quite cool.

LOL

Ah yes roller hockey. Got to see hands down the sexiest hockey player of all time (Manon Rheaume) play in Sacramento for the River Rats at Arco Arena. The cult that was Sly Naud and Sasha "Pit Bull" Lakovic played for the Oakland Skates. Of course no one will ever forget Mark Woolf bringing home the first "major" professional championship to San Jose for the Rhinos.

The problem was the teams didn't have stable ownership, the league grew too fast, and no MAJOR marketing. Despite landing a huge deal with ESPN and its then X-treme brother, espn2, it couldn't get people to come in.

I went to a ton of Viper games both at the Arena and at Kiel.  I used to enjoy going because a lot of guys from the CHL played in the league and I had just moved from OKC where I had Blazer season tickets so many of the players were already familiar.  Yeah, good times.  And as for the Oakland Skates, they played as the Tulsa Ice Oilers in the CHL during the fall and winter. Garry Unger coached both teams and had something like 8 or 9 Oilers on his Skates roster.  It was fun for me because I knew a lot of the players and enjoyed having additional chances to see them play, but on the whole, I can see why RHI failed.  You just can't play in NHL sized rinks and hope to sell enough seats to pay the rent.

I loved the Vipers...they were the only team close to me lol..Tony Szabo was an absolute wizard...oh yeah and there logos were cool too  :D

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Actually, the Jawz' logo was one of the better, production-wise, logos in that league.  Their jerseys were... um... unique.

In '95, when I had season tickets for the Vipers, we noticed a trend--nearly every visiting team had a black road jersey.  (The Vipers were no exception to this.)  Only a few did not--Montreal and Detroit come to mind.

Speaking of Montreal, I think the Roadrunners may have had the best jerseys in that league.  The Vipers' were nice, but were basically the Florida Panthers' jerseys with a colour tweak.  Montreal's were unique, but not garish.

Other nice jerseys:

San Jose Rhinos

Vancouver Voodoo (the colours/logo were out there, but the jerseys looked nice)

Anaheim Bullfrogs (their second jerseys/logo, that is... the logo was decent, given the name)

Minnesota Arctic Blast

POTD 2013-08-22

New Jersey Rockin' Rollers

How could I have forgotten to mention that I own a Rockin' Rollers jersey?  The other RHI jersey is, of course, a Vipers jersey, signed by most of the 1995 team, plus Bernie Federko (GM/owner), Perry Turnbull (coach), and even by Victor the Viper (mascot) and Towel Guy (only St. Louisans will get this)!

POTD 2013-08-22

For those of us who don't know for the most part what these fine folks are talking about, I have discovered a plethora of RHI jersey images.

That's Gary G's site, isn't it?  On Tripod, one of the most annoying hosts ever, of course.  But, I flipped through the jersey photos, taking a trip down amnesia lane.  Those were the days.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived