Minor League Affiliation

Korkie

When minor league teams switch major league affiliation, such as the Nashville Sounds on the main page article what happens to the players that finish that season on the teams roster? I guess they would still be the property of the parent club and be assigned to the new AAA team of the parent club after spring training. Am I right about that? I just couldn't picture, for example, having the SW-B Red Barons players from the year before all of a sudden playing for the norfolk tides. I would think that has to be weird for the teams fans. :blink:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I know in the AHL that some teams can sign their own free agents with no ties to the parent club. It happened in Lowell a few times. Lowell switched affiliations, so the players tied to the parent clubs moved to the new affiliate, but the team's own free agents remained as Lowell property.

I don't know if minor league baseball teams operate in a similar way.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I used to work for the New Orleans Zephyrs, so I know a little about this. Firstly, unlike minor league hockey, the contract of all of the players are the property of their parent club. There are no free agent floaters out there. Secondly, in regards to the players switching, when a player development agreement expires and is not renewed, the players switch clubs that they are playing for.

In the case of the Z's, when they moved here in 1993, we were the AAA affiliate for Milwaukee. In '97 when that deal was done, they then became the affiliate for the Houston Astros. Now that that agreement is finished, the Stros decided to move thier AAA affiliation to the Round Rock Express, currently of the Texas League. Becuase of this change, Houston will move thier AA affiliation to Corpus Christi beginning next season.

The players assigned to AAA or have big league contracts will play in Round Rock, TX while those who are assigned to AA will report to Corpus after spring training in Fla.

Hope that helps. Mahalo.

dodgers-1.png

Any word on St. Louis' new A affiliate?

The St. Louis Cardinals' Low-A minor-league affiliate is now the Swing of the Quad Cities of the Midwest League.

Overall, twenty-five minor-league franchises signed Player Development Contracts with new MLB parent clubs. The new affiliations break down as follows:

AAA

INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE

* The Indianapolis Indians are now affiliated with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE

* The Nashville Sounds are now affiliated with theMilwaukee Brewers.

* The New Orleans Zephyrs are now affiliated with the Montreal Expos (parent club expected to be relocated to Washington, DC).

* The Round Rock Express (formerly the Edmonton Trappers) are now affiliated with the Houston Astros.

AA

SOUTHERN LEAGUE

* The Tennesse Smokies are now affiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

TEXAS LEAGUE

* The Springfield Cardinals (formerly the El Paso Diablos) are now affiliated with the St. Louis Cardinals.

HIGH A

CALIFORNIA LEAGUE

* The Bakersfield Blaze is now affiliated with the Texas Rangers.

* The High Desert Mavericks are now affiliated with the Kansas City Royals.

* The Modesto A's (who will be changing their identity package) are now affiliated with the Colorado Rockies.

* The Stockton Ports are now affiliated with the Oakland A's.

* The Visalia Oaks are now affiliated with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

CAROLINA LEAGUE

* The Potomac Cannons are now affiliated with the Montreal Expos (parent club expected to be relocated to Washington, DC).

* The Wilmington Blue Rocks are now affiliated with the Boston Red Sox.

FLORIDA STATE LEAGUE

* The Brevard County Manatees are now affiliated with the Milwaukee Brewers.

* The Sarasota Red Sox (who will be changing their identity package) are now affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds.

LOW A

MIDWEST LEAGUE

* The Battle Creek Yankees (who will be changing their identity package) are now affiliated with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

* The Beloit Snappers are now affiliated with the Minnesota Twins.

* The Lansing Lugnuts are now affiliated with the Toronto Blue Jays.

* The Peoria Chiefs (who are expected to retain their name, but redesign their logo) are now affiliated with the Chicago Cubs.

* The Swing of the Quad Cities are now affiliated with the St. Louis Cardinals.

SOUTH ATLANTIC LEAGUE

* The Augusta GreenJackets are now affiliated with the San Francisco Giants.

* The Capital City Bombers are now affiliated with the Boston Red Sox.

* The Charleston (SC) RiverDogs are now affiliated with the New York Yankees.

* The Charleston (WV) Alley Cats are now affiliated with the Milwaukee Brewers.

* The Hagerstown Suns are now affiliated with the New York Mets.

An additional change on the minor-league baseball front is that the AA Texas League's Round Rock Express have become the Corpus Christi Hooks. The team retains its affiliation with the Houston Astros.

A few additions to the list:

The Sarasota Red Sox have been renamed the Sarasota Reds

The Tennessee Smokies (AA) are now affiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks

The El Paso Diablos (AA) are now affiliated with the St. Louis Cardinals

(This is as listed on the MLB Minor League Team index)

VmWIn6B.png

There's talk of somewhat of a change between Seattle and San Diego. This article explains it but for those that don't want to read it means the San Diego AAA franchise in Portland would become Seattle's affiliate and the Padres would get the Tacoma Rainiers which will move to Reno after their lease runs out at Cheney Stadium. Works for both teams. Seattle's affiliate moves farther down I-5 but the M's have a big fanbase in Portland and would do them well. San Diego gets a team in Tacoma which is pretty far away, but its only for one year and then they move to Reno which is much better than Portland was.

• 2 weeks later...
An additional change on the minor-league baseball front is that the AA Texas League's Round Rock Express have become the Corpus Christi Hooks. The team retains its affiliation with the Houston Astros.

Wow. This surprises me. Did Nolan Ryan sell his interest?

Actually what is happening is Round Rock is joining the PCL and Corpus Christi is taking their spot in the Texas League.

Read the press release here

Wow. This surprises me. Did Nolan Ryan sell his interest?

Actually what is happening is Round Rock is joining the PCL and Corpus Christi is taking their spot in the Texas League.

Read the press release here

Looks like Ryan bought another team as they BOTH are owned by Ryan Sanders Baseball...

This gives the Astros two AAA clubs within driving distance of them. I don't think any other MLB team can say that. :D

sig1.gif

The players assigned to AAA or have big league contracts will play in Round Rock, TX while those who are assigned to AA will report to Corpus after spring training in Fla.

Hope that helps. Mahalo.

Ok - so given that example then - the current Indianapolis players will go down to Nashville, and the Nashville players will come up to Indy, correct?

Wow - it sucks to be a minor league ballplayer these days... :D

sig1.gif

Archived