When did the Ottawa Senators change their logo?

spyboy1

sens.jpg

The current logo used on the white jerseys is the one on the left with the laurel wreath surrounding the Senator's head.

The original logo is the one on the right that reads "Ottawa Senators" in the circle surrounding the Senator's head.

Looking online, I can confirm the Sens used the script version through the 96-97 season, and have even found a 97-98 preseason jersey in that style, but that does not mean they wore those during the regular season that year.

By 98-99 they had swithced to the laurel wreath version.

The change was made in either 97-98 or 98-99. Anyone know when for sure? :flagcanada:

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

If NHLUniforms.com is to be believed, it happened in 97-98, the same year they introduced their (awful) red thirds.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Man your eyes must be good. Thanks.

I wish the uniforms on that site would be big enough to read the patches when you clicked on things, otherwise it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and ESPN.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

my biggest complaint with the sens is that they have 3 completely different uniforms... 1 GREAT uniform (the white road jersey), 1 decent jersey (the black alternate jersey), and 1 TERRIBLE jersey (the red swooshy ugly jersey)

the tugnutt-era sens jerseys, in black... THOSE were so very fresh and so clean clean :) why they replaced those with that ugly red trash is beyond me.

Those old black jerseys were awful, and today's stroll through NHLUniforms.com confirmed that fact. The first year, they put red numbers on them; the red sleeve numbers overlapped the red stripes. Awful! Then, they changed to white numbers, which was marginally better. Then they added white stripes, which had the white numbers in them. Awful!

The current black alternate jerseys are amazing. AMAZING, I tell ya. A white version of those, and a ritual burning of the red monstrosities, and that team would be set.

POTD 2013-08-22

Those old black jerseys were awful, and today's stroll through NHLUniforms.com confirmed that fact. The first year, they put red numbers on them; the red sleeve numbers overlapped the red stripes. Awful! Then, they changed to white numbers, which was marginally better. Then they added white stripes, which had the white numbers in them. Awful!

The current black alternate jerseys are amazing. AMAZING, I tell ya. A white version of those, and a ritual burning of the red monstrosities, and that team would be set.

imo, once the stripe on the arms turned white, those sens jerseys looked fantastic.

I agree with Mockba that the current alternates are sweet-ass and they need a white version and to ditch the current road, however I must disagree about the home red jersey, for it is awesome. It should however be relegated to alternate again. And Cole, please don't quote Outkast lyrics on here. I don't know if people are ready for that. :D

IMO the Sens have two problems

1) one awesome logo (the one looking at you) and one weak logo (the older one)

and 2) an awesome jersey (the third), one okay jersey (the swoosh, which incidentally i own) and one bad jersey (the white). basically, the ideal thing to happen would be a white version of the black, and later possibly a third based on the original Senators' barber poles :hockeysmiley: i know some of us, myself included, have made Sens concepts using the barber pole, why not.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i know some of us, myself included, have made Sens concepts using the barber pole, why not.

I believe it was Jesus Gohti that made a KILLER Senators Barberpole Alt awhile back. I found an uncrested Ottawa 67's jersey that I am going to have made as close to his concept once I track down the crest for the front.

Anyone know if the Secondary patches from the alternate are out there anywhere? None on ebay for over a year now.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

The Sens logo facing the side is much better and classier. Not sayying the other logo is bad (it's not but it should be on the alternate only). Make a red and white version of the alt and put the side facing senator on the and leave the current alt alone and you have on nice jersey set.

I think this would make a much better Alt logo:

OttawaSenators6.gif

And here is the old barbershop sweater the original Sens had:

0e479c76.jpg

Yep, that's the alt logo I want two shoulder patches of.

As for that jersey, it's odd that the stripes stop at the chest. I really like the style they used throughout the 1920's when the stripes went all the way to the top.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

That really is one of the worst logos in all of the NHL. I just don't get that one at all.

You don't understand it or you can't figure out why they'd have it as a logo?

Can't figure out why people think it's a good logo. I know what it actually is (Peace Tower), but I think it's just a dull, poorly-designed logo.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived