Montreal's last game

JQK

MONTREAL -- The Expos and Marlins were pulled off the field during Montreal's final home game Wednesday night after a fan threw a golf ball that landed near second base, delaying the game for 10 minutes.

With Florida's Jeff Conine at the plate in the third inning, Expos manager Frank Robinson came out of the dugout, summoned plate umpire Rick Reed and pointed out the golf ball.

Reed, the crew chief, waved all the players into the dugout as the crowd cheered. Security guards lined up along each baseline at Olympic Stadium. Before play resumed, fans were warned that the game would be forfeited if any more objects were thrown onto the field.

Three plastic bottles were tossed into left field in the sixth, one near Florida's Miguel Cabrera, but the teams remained on the field and no announcement was made. The game was delayed just a couple minutes as the bottles were retrieved by a ball boy and Marlins manager Jack McKeon spoke with Reed.

Hours earlier, baseball announced that the 36-year-old franchise will be moved next season to Washington, D.C. Baseball had been looking to relocate the team for years because of dwindling attendance.

A crowd of 31,395 showed up for its final chance to say farewell -- the largest crowd of the year and about four times the season average in Montreal.

The last major league team to move was the Washington Senators, who became the Texas Rangers for the 1972 season.

The Senators' final home game was forfeited on Sept. 30, 1971. Fans rushed onto the field with two outs in the ninth inning, upset over owner Bob Short's decision to move the team to Texas.

The Senators were leading the New York Yankees 7-5 when the game was declared a forfeit.

Fans were still streaming into Olympic Stadium during the second inning Wednesday night. The seldom-used upper deck was already filling with spectators as Sun-woo Kim threw the first pitch to Juan Pierre.

Wednesday night's game was the 2,786th for the Expos in Montreal, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. That includes 641 at Jarry Park, where the team started play in 1969, and 2,145 at Olympic Stadium, where the Expos moved in 1977.

The 1994 Expos were honored in a pregame ceremony. That team was 74-40, the best record in baseball, and six games up in the NL East when major league players went on strike, a work stoppage that ultimately resulted in the cancellation of the playoffs and World Series.

At least they didn't storm the field like Washingtonians did 33 years ago...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Yeah 1971 was pretty ugly from what I read, Im glad it didnt get any uglier, Montreal has this weird habbit of ugly riots, liek when Guns and Roses didnt play a full show.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah 1971 was pretty ugly from what I read, Im glad it didnt get any uglier, Montreal has this weird habbit of ugly riots, liek when Guns and Roses didnt play a full show.

That's the night Hetfield got torched...

Let's also not forget the '93 Stanley Cup Riot...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

And what about the Montréal retired numbers???

r2516633559.jpg

Will Washington inherite all them? Among Walter Johnson and Clark Griffith?

Why not? It's the same franchise. The Dodgers kept the retired numbers from Brooklyn, and I believe the Giants kept their retired numbers from New York. Then again, they might want to completely disavow any connection of Montreal, a'la the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland. I guess that'll be up to management.

VmWIn6B.png

Well, regarding the Expos "fans," they certainly picked a decent time to actually start caring about having a team again... :rolleyes:

and besides, anyone notice that the fan support was so low that they didn't even bother to update the other NL teams' logos on the outfield wall? They still had the boxy "MB" for the brewers, and the silver and navy Astros logo from before they moved into Enron/Astros Field/Minute Maid! :wacko:

VmWIn6B.png

Well, regarding the Expos "fans," they certainly picked a decent time to actually start caring about having a team again... :rolleyes:

and besides, anyone notice that the fan support was so low that they didn't even bother to update the other NL teams' logos on the outfield wall? They still had the boxy "MB" for the brewers, and the silver and navy Astros logo from before they moved into Enron/Astros Field/Minute Maid! :wacko:

Well, they probably couldn't update them any more as they probably don't make those things any more becfause the Pos are the last team to that 80's fad.

Montreal has this weird habbit of ugly riots, like when Guns and Roses didnt play a full show.

Actually, that was St. Louis.

Unless it happened in Montreal too.

Both true, but at least there was a concert. A few years ago, Guns and Roses cancelled a concert in Vancouver which resulted in a riot.

I saw, I came, I left.

Montreal has this weird habbit of ugly riots, like when Guns and Roses didnt play a full show.

Actually, that was St. Louis.

Unless it happened in Montreal too.

You bet it did in Montreal as well.

GNR was to follow Metallica.

Metallica had to cut their concert short because James Hetfield got burned by the pyrotechnics (09/08/1992).

Axel wasn't ready to jump on stage quickly, therefore fans were left waiting for awhile, fans booed him, he responded with a warm "F-you Montreal" and the rest is history...

8 months later the city was set on fire again, that time during a HAPPY celebration, the HABS' Stanley Cup win.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I didn't know it was a golf ball, I thought it was a rolled up piece of tape or something. It took the Stade security until the 8th inning to find the guy... I must say at SkyDome a fan doesn't get that second (or in this case fourth) chance to do it, he's found and gone quickly.... they probably weren't used to seeing so many people.

I wouldn't be quick to insult the crowd at the game, there were 31000 people there and one person threw a golf ball on the field, t'is very bad generalisation.

Pics will arrive shortly.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This is probably as good of a time as any other to ask how they picked the name "Expos" for this franchise anyway?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

And what about the Montréal retired numbers???

r2516633559.jpg

Will Washington inherite all them? Among Walter Johnson and Clark Griffith?

Why not? It's the same franchise. The Dodgers kept the retired numbers from Brooklyn, and I believe the Giants kept their retired numbers from New York. Then again, they might want to completely disavow any connection of Montreal, a'la the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland. I guess that'll be up to management.

The situation of the Giants and Dodgers are very different. They always carry their historic nicknames so they can follow their history.

It's why they can maintain their retired numbers from their NYC era.

The A's have a sin: never, never put the retired numbers from their Philadelphia's past!!! Remember guys like Mack, Foxx, Grove, Collins, etc? Well... so give them some place in the wall of their stadium!

The situation of the Expos may be equal to the Rangers... when there's not any Washington team, in Arlington I never saw any retired number like the one from Walter Johnson or Hondo.

And the Orioles never had the courtesy to remember the Brown's George Sisler in any corner of their outfield in Camden Yards.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived