Soccer in US

WideRight

soccer is a sport full panzies that can't play a real sport.  it could explain why europe dominates soccer.  :P

You obviously never played the game then. It is a workout. 90 minutes, no timeouts, constant movement or the other team scores 17-0. It looks way slower on TV then it actually is. I play for a military team here, Medina United FC(Football Club). I can tell you for a fact that soccer isn't a sport you play cause you can't play something else. It actually requires more hand-eye coordination then any other sport save baseball. It also requires loads of endurance. In an average game, a player will run a minimum of 7 miles.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There is obviously a market for soccer here in the United States. How else do you explain European clubs coming playing here in the summer for the Champions World Series and draw sellout crowds of 60,000-70,000 fans. If anyone has attended any of these matches you will see fans wearing kits with names of their favorite players and the soccer knowledge of fans is impressive. As mentioned, this sport will never be able to compete with our other sporting passions in this country. However, the growth of this sport continues, as it will for a long time.

soccer is a sport full panzies that can't play a real sport. it could explain why europe dominates soccer. :P

nothin against ya magus, but i need ya as my guinea pig :hockeysmiley:

the attitude that soccer is a 'pansy sport' is why its growth in the American imagination was stifled for so long. the main thing is most of us might either go to a game and leave confused, or never take a game in at all (same with, say, a Scot who goes to a Claymores game for the first time and is understandably confused)

soccer's made progress here, and will continue to do so. i look forward to how the game goes along here in the coming decades B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Many teams are well over a hundred years old (some approaching 200) and back then, it just wasn't a done thing to name a team over a type of bird or fish or whatever. The only exceptions I can think off of the top of my head are Celtic, Rangers, Heart of Midlothian, and Hibernian football clubs.

Well, IIRC Hearts was named (wow. Odd construction, what?) after a dance hall where they were formed. So that makes as much sense as any of the clubs named after boroughs or neighborhoods.

In English football, there's only Arsenal. Formed by workers at the Woolwich Arsenal, started off as Dial Square (the shop where they worked), then became Woolwich Arsenal, then Royal Arsenal once they moved north, then finally just Arsenal. So even that name has some geographical origin to it.

Yeah, actually, I guess Hearts is kinda location-based. Sure, I'll give you that. The Heart of Midlothian is actually a little patch of cobblestone on Edinburgh's Royal Mile where the public gallows used to be. As a result, for the longest time, it was the only place in the city you were allowed to spit (you were meant to spit on the hanged criminals). It's a bit of a city tradition and there's also a pub and hotel named after the landmark too.

heart_of_midlothian.jpg

As a die-hard Hibbee myself, I always consoled myelf with the fact that Hearts were only worth spitting on!

Oh, and as an aside, football is definitely NOT a pansy sport. It's 90 minutes of constant movement up and down the pitch, setting up plays, maintaining defense. The only break you get is at halftime and their are no such things a line rotations. Its a brutal, brutal sport to play. I will admit it's not the best to watch it on the tele, but NOTHING beats watching a match at the stadium, especially an innercity derby.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Archived