Winnipeg Arena 1955-2004

gojetsgo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I miss the Jets. Lots.

Yup.

Hey Lamicus... get Burton Cummings to forget buying silly local restaurant chains (kidding of course) and contribute to actually doing something for this city for once. :)

LOL...Sy, go to the Tuxedo Mall Sal's location about 8.30 on a Sunday morning, shake him awake, and ask him yourself.

Thomas Steen was in the offices again yesterday for a meeting...he always pokes his head into my office to say hi, since I gave him the gears for wearing a Minnesota Wild jacket a few months ago...he's such a cool guy. His daughter works at Green Gates as a waitress/hostess...mrowr!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

why did the jets move?

to piss me off. :cursing:

money I assume.. grass is greener on the other side, or something.

A large reason was that the NHL was looking to expand into major American markets in preparation for the windfall TV deal... that never happened.

Not to paint too rosy a picture... the Jets weren't exactly thriving, no small market Canadian team has been for the last 15 years, but the fan support was there and Bettman just wasn't willing to put the effort in to develop an ownership group/find an owner willing to keep them in town.

They ripped the heart and soul of our town out to become the (at best) 3rd-favourite team of Phoenix. And they've done nothing but lose money since.

Serves 'em right.

Now the NHL owners (namely Bettman) isn't hesitating to dangle the possibility of the Jets returning as a way to get fans' support throughout the lockout. He's screwed us once, I wouldn't be surprised to see him screw us again... but I have to agree... the NHL would not work in Winnipeg in the current NHL financial environment.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

someday Winnipeg will get an NHL team.

If the NHL stands for something besides National Hockey League, then sure. But with the economy the way it is and the arena they have, it's not going to happen.

If the NHL stands for something besides National Hockey League, then sure. But with the economy the way it is and the arena they have, it's not going to happen.

You are probably dead-on regarding the economy, but the new MTS Centre looks amazing and would make any NHL team feel at home.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

You are probably dead-on regarding the economy, but the new MTS Centre looks amazing and would make any NHL team feel at home.

Oh no. It looks fantastic. I've been loving the design since I first saw it. But 15,000 seats for hockey wouldn't cut it for the NHL. If they were granted a franchise with that arena, ticket costs would be through the roof just to break even.

Love listening to that call of Selanne's 54th goal. Curt Keilback was THE BEST play by play guy I've ever heard.

"Great save, ES-SEN-SA!"

Another of my favourite arena memories was during a preseason game at the arena a couple years ago. The Canucks (who are the Manitoba Moose's parent club) played a game and started Bob Essensa in net. It was awesome to hear "Bobby! Bobby!" again. Not as awesome as it was when Essensa played for the Jets, but it was still good.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new MTS Centre. It looks like a sweet building.

Oh no. It looks fantastic. I've been loving the design since I first saw it. But 15,000 seats for hockey wouldn't cut it for the NHL. If they were granted a franchise with that arena, ticket costs would be through the roof just to break even.

If they sell out the games, 15,000 is plenty big. It is easier to put 15000 people into 15000 seats then it is to put 15000 into 22000 seats. Ticket scarcity makes demand greater.

Incidentally, half of the NHL posted attendances around 15000, and that is with artificially boosted attendance figures (Midway through last season Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay announced 15000 in their arena when there were only about 9000 in the seats - in their 20000+ arena). Phoenix has also had attendances well below 15000 3 of the past 4 years.

Attendance figures

They would have to sell out alot, and certainly bigger would be better, but 15000 is enough. As long as the CBA gets fixed.

If they sell out the games, 15,000 is plenty big. It is easier to put 15000 people into 15000 seats then it is to put 15000 into 22000 seats. Ticket scarcity makes demand greater.

Incidentally, half of the NHL posted attendances around 15000, and that is with artificially boosted attendance figures (Midway through last season Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay announced 15000 in their arena when there were only about 9000 in the seats - in their 20000+ arena). Phoenix has also had attendances well below 15000 3 of the past 4 years.

Attendance figures

They would have to sell out alot, and certainly bigger would be better, but 15000 is enough. As long as the CBA gets fixed.

With the numbers you provided, which aren't complete, only 8 teams have home attendance averages under 15,000. But that's an average. Winnipeg would have to sell out every game just to average 15,000.

Winnipeg is a great town, with a great hockey history and fanbase. It just wouldn't work.

15000 PAYING fans per game. That's alot more than alot of teams.

I don't want to turn this in to a "Why Winnipeg won't get a team" thread because, as I pointed out above, that wasn't the point of your original post.

But since you replied, I'd like to present some other numbers for you.

Winnipeg Jets average attendance per year

That was in an arena that held 15,500 and, as you pointed out, not all of those are going to be paid tickets. So even in it's best year they still had 1900 empty seats. Now with a smaller arena and a different team, you think they are going to sell out all the time? I just can't buy that.

Some more stats for you:

Minnesota North Stars 1981-82 15,220

Minnesota North Stars 1982-83 14,485

Minnesota North Stars 1983-84 14,355

Minnesota North Stars 1984-85 13,480

Minnesota North Stars 1985-86 13,216

Minnesota North Stars 1986-87 13,512

Minnesota North Stars 1987-88 11,440

Minnesota North Stars 1988-89 9,795

Minnesota North Stars 1989-90 11,354

Minnesota North Stars 1990-91 7,838

Minnesota North Stars 1991-92 13,472

Minnesota North Stars 1992-93 13,571

Here's 12 years of bad attendance in Minnesota. They got under 8000 one year and undewr 10000 another year. They lost their team. They got their team back. Today Minnesota is among the strongest hockey markets in the league.

Some more stats for you:

Here's 12 years of bad attendance in Minnesota. They got under 8000 one year and undewr 10000 another year. They lost their team. They got their team back. Today Minnesota is among the strongest hockey markets in the league.

If you want to compare 2 competely different teams and cities, that's fine. I understand you are passionate about getting a team to Winnipeg and proving that it would work.

Can you answer this for me though? If Winnipeg is so hockey starved, why are the Moose averaging 8500 this year and average attendance is around 7000 for the past couple years? Are you saying 7-8000 fans are going to appear when the NHL comes back to town? There are that many people just sitting around choosing no hockey over any hockey?

Winnipeg isn't hockey starved. It's NHL starved. Take it from someone who lived in Winnipeg for the past 23 years. (I find it hard to believe that someone in Seattle has the slightest clue as to what motivates Winnipeggers or knows anything about our community).

For the most part the city's feelings toward the Moose have been lukewarm from the moment they got here. Most of us still feel we deserve better and won't accept anything less than the NHL. I was a hardcore Jets fan, but I've only paid to go to one Moose game in 8 years. There are many others like me. There is passion towards hockey in this city, much more than the fast-declining interest in other cities like Nashville, Carolina, and Phoenix. I know the Jets coming back is a long shot, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Anyway, I'm sorry I diverted from the original point of this thread. If you want to know more about the possibility of the Jets coming back, go to www.jetsowner.com

Back to talking about Arena memories:

Here's some non-Jet memories. I worked at the Winnipeg Arena for 5 years, and saw my fair share of concerts (well, bits and pieces of them). I loved seeing Ozzy Osborne's frail body rocking the hell out of the arena. KISS, The Stones (at the Stadium) and Rickey Martin.... errr... scratch that last one. Other than the hockey, there have been some good shows at the Arena too.

(I find it hard to believe that someone in Seattle has the slightest clue as to what motivates Winnipeggers or knows anything about our community).

You'd be surprised what I know. :P

Archived