J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

budbowl77

Well, the same thing is going on around the NASCAR circles..NASCAR wants to build a racetrack around NY, and supposedly the city wouldn't mind tearing down Brooklyn to get it.

These people are really messed up.

Thank you for very blindly dissing all of New York. It makes you sound very smart. For the record, the most popular/probably proposal has the track being built on Staten Island, which is basically just a landfill right now.

I'm for the West Side Stadium.

I'm for the Brooklyn Arena.

I'm for the Coliseum at the Lighthouse.

I'm for the Staten Island NASCAR Track.

I like sports, dammit, and I like new facilities.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

i support a new stadium in manhatten for the jets. last i checked they are the new york jets, not the new jersey jets. come to think about it, the giants should play in nyc as well. i say call the new stadium 9/11 memorial field and move both the jets and giants there.

i support a new stadium in manhatten for the jets. last i checked they are the new york jets, not the new jersey jets. come to think about it, the giants should play in nyc as well. i say call the new stadium 9/11 memorial field and move both the jets and giants there.

Yarf!

One of the biggest things is that the Jets are trying to get their own stadium, without being secondary tennants in another NFL team's field. If both teams were to move to the proposed stadium, it would negate that whole idea.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Yarf!

One of the biggest things is that the Jets are trying to get their own stadium, without being secondary tennants in another NFL team's field. If both teams were to move to the proposed stadium, it would negate that whole idea.

Well, technically are not secondary tennant. The Giants do not own Giants Stadium, the NJSEA (aka the state of New Jersey) owns Giants Stadium. The Giants and Jets pay equal rent and get equal revenue from it. The only thing that makes it appear that the Jets are secondary tennants is the name.

Also, Giants Stadium is located 6 miles away from mid-town Manhattan, the same distance Yankee Stadium is from mid-town Manhattan.

as cool as that would be..i think the state of new jersey would have a baby if new york took back both there teams. but anyway, maybe some of the jersey members here can clear this up..I'm hearing from Giants fans that the Giants may change there name to the New Jersey Giants if the Jets come cross river...is this true? has anyone heard this???

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

as cool as that would be..i think the state of new jersey would have a baby if new york took back both there teams. but anyway, maybe some of the jersey members here can clear this up..I'm hearing from Giants fans that the Giants may change there name to the New Jersey Giants if the Jets come cross river...is this true? has anyone heard this???

No, that is not true. And I have not heard this.

I am against it. Not saying the Meadowlands is a great place, but I love to go to Jet games and tailgate. With this new stadium this wouldn't be possible, because there will be no tailgating.

This is quite possibly the stupidest anti-stadium rationale ever. If they build a stadium in Manhattan, there is no need to tailgate. Unlike the Meadowlands which are right smack in the middle of nowhere, you could go to basically any kind of restaurant or bar you could imagine. You would also have the option of hitting up other city attractions after the game.

I support the stadium concept. The traffic will be a problem I'm sure, but it will bring jobs and revenue and potentially a Superbowl and various convention.

Here's the letter/ad that was put out by Madison Square Garden in AM New York and the New York City edition of Metro about this mess.

"Dear Mayor [Michael] Bloomberg:

"It is time to set the record straight on the position of Madison Square Garden [and Cablevision, MSG owners] regarding the proposed West Side Stadium and the [Jacob] Javits Convention Center expansion.

"We strongly support [the] Javits expansion, recognize its' importance to the New York economy and urge that the project move ahead. But this project is being held up by its' attachment to the contriversial football stadium proposal. If these two projects were not tied together, the expansion of Javits would already be underway and thousands of new jobs would have been created.

"[The] New York Association for Better Choices (NYABC), along with distinguished community and civic leaders, and even the City's own Independent Budget Office, have raised important concerns about the stadium proposal. These real issues deserve a forthright response. And while it is true that MSG provides funding to help give voice to these issues, if it did not, it is clear that City Hall would turn a deaf ear to this important public dialogue. Consider the following:

"Football Stadium Construction Is Unnecessary Prior to Olympic Decision

• "No host city has begun construction of a new stadium before winning its' Olympic bid, and seven years will remain to build a stadium after the bid is awarded [in July].
  • "The City's proposal calls for a football stadium, not an Olympic stadium. An Olympic stadium would require major, costly, and unbudgeted structural modifacations and - as the City acknoeledges - additional federal approvals.

"Football Stadium Economic Viability Relies opn Specutative and Unproven Assumptions

• "The stadium was originally anticipated to cost $1.4 billion, more than twice the cost of any other NFL stadium and includes more than $600 million in taxpayer subsidies. But this does not include the cost of the stadium site, which will add hundreds of millions of dollars to the price tag.
  • "The City's Independent Budget Office says stadium revenue projections leave little margin for cost overruns, fewer events, economic downturns, and other unanticipated factors. Other facilities that combine a stadium and a convention center [such as Atlanta and St. Louis] have been severly underutilized, calling into question stadium revenue assumptions.
  • "The estimates of the stadium jobs are also significantly inflated. For example, [Giants Stadium] at The Meadowlands employs fewer than 250 full-time workers.

"Football Stadium Threatens to Divert Funds From Important Services

• "If optimistic estimates of new taxes do not materialize, the City's Independent Budget Office points out that the City could be left with insufficient revenue to cover its' investment. This would divery tax dollars from [public schools], police, firefighters and other services.
  • "The [New York] Jets' payment to the [Metropolitan Transit Agency, who own the air rights to the proposed site] for the prime waterfront property has not been established nor disclosed, raising serious questions about whether the MTA, and its' riders, will subsidize a football stadium during a time of severe MTA [budget] deficits.

"Football Stadium Is More Likely to Hurt Javits Than to Help It

• "A football stadium is highly inefficient, substandard convention space. Stadium space is three times more expensive to build, difficult to transform for convention use and much more costly to heat, cool, secure and operate.
  • "A football stadium threatens to drive convention business away from Javits. Surveys show that the stadium would jeopardize convention buisness for Javits during Jets games over the six-month football season, when load-in and other activity is impaired, and convention buisness would be jeopardized.

"Whatever you may presume to be Madison Square Garden's motovation for supporting NYABC, it should not prevent consideration of the serious public issues surrounding the West Side football stadium proposal.

"The solution is clear. We should not hold [the] Javits expansion hostage to a football stadium. And as for the football stadium, legitimate, unanswered questions demand a thorough review. We look forward to working with you to make [the] Javits expansion a reality.

"Sincerely,

James L. Dolan

Chairman, Madison Square Garden.

"P. S.: For further information on the Stadium proposal and support material regarding this letter, please visit www.NewYorkabc.org."

Comments, anyone?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

yawn...of course Dolan and MSG are against the stadium..its only blocks away from there dump of an arena. Dolan knows he cant do major construction because the Garden is basically landlocked. So he has to keep up the fight against the new stadium because its all about $$ to MSG.

Mayor Bloomberg was right..maybe dolan should spend more money worrying about his poor sports teams instead of paying millions to fight a football stadium.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I am against it. Not saying the Meadowlands is a great place, but I love to go to Jet games and tailgate. With this new stadium this wouldn't be possible, because there will be no tailgating.

This is quite possibly the stupidest anti-stadium rationale ever. If they build a stadium in Manhattan, there is no need to tailgate. Unlike the Meadowlands which are right smack in the middle of nowhere, you could go to basically any kind of restaurant or bar you could imagine. You would also have the option of hitting up other city attractions after the game.

I support the stadium concept. The traffic will be a problem I'm sure, but it will bring jobs and revenue and potentially a Superbowl and various convention.

Sorry, I like many people like to go down to the games to cook and hang out with family and friends. I can go to resturant anytime, tailgating adds to the experience of going to the games.

Mayor Bloomberg was right..maybe dolan should spend more money worrying about his poor sports teams instead of paying millions to fight a football stadium.

I heard Dolan is spending some dough on renovating the Garden. Any truth to that?

Now that I think about it, I'm behind the stadium. Dolan knows that a stadium in the area will attempt to drive away conventions and concerts from MSG so he will just create an excuse, which is legitamite to a point. But there are events that cannot be held in MSG, but would be a perfect fit in that stadium like an Autoshow or a rodeo. The arugment he made about driving conventions away from Javits is a complete joke. You can hold a week long convention during the football season easily and even if some business goes away, revenues from Jets games can make up for that.

The only part of the argument that I can agree with is the diversion of tax dollars from essential services.

I saw, I came, I left.

• 2 months later...

Dolan is Satan he trully is I am now convinced of that he ruined the Rangers ruined the Knicks, he puts his cable customers trhough the ringers thank god Im not in a Cablevision area but Ive heard stories such as in not showing the YES Network for the first year, Blocking MSG which he didnt own at the time during Yankee games in 1989, he is already said to be planning the same in 2006 with the new Mets Network. He also took over an Electronic Outlit called the Wiz and ran them straight into the ground its a wonder he is rich he seems to be terrible and everything he runs.

But mist of all he is a bitter petty man, he wanted teh Jets himself he and Robert Wood Johnson were the final 2 bidders for the franchsie when Leon Hess died and his family sold the team. Johnson outbid Dolan and tahts why he is doing that had he won the bidding he would be demanding the Stadium be built, hell he would not even be offering to pay for parrt of it like Johnson is.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived