MLB Player Movement

jrodsep

Wait, STL, you're saying you don't want a "stud" like Texas backup second baseman Andy Fox, who has 30 home runs in 11 Major League seasons? :D

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To expand on what Craven said, not only will Tek stay in Boston, but he's the new Red Sox captain - first one since 1989 - I wonder if more teams will start to do this, now that the Yankees and Red Sox have reinstated them in the past 9 years?

HornetsTwistSig.gif

The Cubs had a "Captain"....until he failed to show up and complained about the announcers.

To me, its a title in pro sports. Its great for High School and College, but what's the need in the pro ranks? There are too many egos to have a captain.

Now, I understand Football (coin-toss) and Hockey to talk to the refs. But Baseball? What do they do? walk out with the manager to deliver the lineup? Even in the High School and College ranks, as far as the game, all i did as a baseball captain was relay the ground rules to the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong that there is a need for them in the pro ranks other than football and hockey.

Well, the Reds let their Captain go.

The Cardinals unofficial captain (as stated by the manager) bailed on them for money.

The Cubs captain was anything but.

The Yankees captain...well I don't like the guy, but he might be deserving.

I have no idea about the Red Sox captain, but since they are a team "full of idiots" (a terrible, terrible ploy to make America root for the "underdogs" that sadly worked--not that it had anything to do with the games, but still made me dislike them more), I'm not sure one idiot can lead better than another.

Yeah, I'd say captains in baseball suck.

Varitek was probably the only player in the Sox clubhouse that wasn't an "idiot". Aside from the A-Rod fight, he is the hardest-working player on the team, and he is a leader in the dugout. He is the player who calms down the pitchers and gets them to focus on the game when it starts to get out of hand. He has consistently done what's asked of him, plays hard and runs out every hit.

His only injury came when he broke his arm chasing down a foul pop-up. A foul pop up! Hustling even to catch a foul ball!

He is an extremely respected and liked player, and this is why it was very important for the Red Sox to resign him. Even Pedro made a point of wondering what was taking the Sox so long to sign him at his own press conference for the Mets.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Varitek was probably the only player in the Sox clubhouse that wasn't an "idiot". Aside from the A-Rod fight, he is the hardest-working player on the team, and he is a leader in the dugout. He is the player who calms down the pitchers and gets them to focus on the game when it starts to get out of hand. He has consistently done what's asked of him, plays hard and runs out every hit.

His only injury came when he broke his arm chasing down a foul pop-up. A foul pop up! Hustling even to catch a foul ball!

He is an extremely respected and liked player, and this is why it was very important for the Red Sox to resign him. Even Pedro made a point of wondering what was taking the Sox so long to sign him at his own press conference for the Mets.

Sounds a lot like Mike Matheny AL style.

I'll miss Matheny, but with Yadier Molina ready, I guess it was time. Molina posses many of the skills that Matheny did and still does behind the plate as well as calming down pitchers. The leadership in the dugout will come with time.

Part of Matheny's always working hard meant he felt the need to play the majority of the games, so the way things worked out, he had to be somewhere else, but I still think he can be equated to Varitek.

I've never heard any grumbling about Varitek sitting every 5th game so Doug Mirabelli catches Tim Wakefield's knuckleball. Varitek understands that Mirabelli is a better knuckleball catcher, and it's a good excuse for a day of rest.

If you say Matheny is just the same, then the Cards were blessed with a very good catcher this past season.

I don't know how well Varitek or Mirabelli would perform if they weren't teammates, or at least on different teams. I just know that they work great on the Red Sox, because they both understand their roles and are willing to do what it takes to help the Sox win. They don't have egos (egoes? eggoes?) that put themselves first above the good of the team.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'll agree that the Captain is basically a figurehead position in the MLB. I tend to dislike it when John Sterling and Charlie Steiner(Yankees radio announcers) explain that Jeter is walking out to the mound to check on a pitcher with Torre and Posada cause he's the team captain. Regardless, giving a player the captain position is a way to honor them, even if it doesn't serve a real purpose in the game. And I also think both Jeter and Varitek are deserving of that honor.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

It wasn't ego or anything with Matheny. I think Matheny could have easily dealt with 4 of 5 pitchers.

However, both he and Molina (Molina was a rookie last year) are now ready to be starting the majority of the team. Obviously you can't have two majorities.

But yes, Matheny was and is that kind of catcher.

If you were to compare them statistically, then Varitek is better offensively, but Matheny tops him defensively. Matheny blocks balls like no other.

Newsday reported that the Cardinals signed Roberto Alomar to a 1 year, non-guaranteed contract for $500,000.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...ports-headlines

(scroll all the way down)

Two words come to mind...Why???

Ok, one word. I hope I'm wrong though if they did sign him, and he does well. I've looked everywhere else online and can't find it mentioned however.

God damnit...is Jocketty on Dioxin?

Dioxin is a registered trademark of United Waffles.

Dioxin is a registered trademark of United Waffles.

Please send your royalty check of $135 to:

Uncle Viktor's Magic Ukranian Turnip Soda

United Waffles Bottling Company

PO Box 5318008

Brooklyn, NY 11242

Remember I'm half-Jewish...I will not hesitate to sue you.

I'm also half-Lutheran...I will not hesistate to let this pass with a friendly apology. And cinnamon buns.

Pokey Reese to the Mariners, Odalis Perez and Milton Bradley re-sign with LA - the West is gettig better, that's for sure...

HornetsTwistSig.gif

Cardinals sign 2B Mark Gruzelank (man I can't spell) to a 1 year deal. Terms not disclosed.

Also rumored are they might try to sign Alomar as a backup, mainly because he's a switch hitter and more than likely cheap. We'll see if Alomar is up for that, doubtful for a player that many say could be a hall of famer.

Yankees payroll is at 207 million, could be higher if they get Beltran (doubtful now however...they'd be at around 220 million next year alone!!!)

What I'm hearing (reading) is that the Cards may still sign Alomar, but that they may never intend to use him as a backup.

Either he'll win the job in Spring Training (which would be good, because that means he's back to par), and Grudz will be a super utility player with Nunez probably headed to Memphis, or Grudz will win the job, they'll release Alomar, and Nunez will be our main infield backup.

I do like the signing of Grudz.

Mets sign 2B Miguel Cairo to a one-year deal worth $900, 000.

Brave sign RP Gabe White to a one-year deal.

White Sox sign C A.J. Pierzynski tyo a one-year deal(old news I think)

Also old news, OF Dustin Mohr and IF Deda Relaford sign with the Colorado Rockies.

Padres sign RP Chris Hammond to a one-year deal.

Basically minor stuff, just throwing it out there.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

By opening day...from 2 years ago the Mets will have what...zero starters remaining in the field?

Sorry to you mets fans, but this offseason smells an awful like the Alomar, Leiter, Vaughn year to me.

The only thing that's different is, the Mets aren't bringing in guys who have a torrid history of injury. I think they're making the right moves for once. I do question why they've added two backup infielders, when they already had Keppinger, Brazell, Garcia and McEwing on the roster(though I guess it makes sense cause Brazell and Garcia will likely be sent back down to the minors).

HornetsTwistSig.gif

Archived