new jerseys for german nt

UCLAcrew

just wondering what people thought about the new german national team away kits. for the first time germany will be wearing red jerseys (you may remember green kits in the mid/late 90s), thanks in part to coach klinsmann. i'm not too keen on them, as i don't associate the idea of "germany" or "german soccer" with the color red -- black, grey and white seem better. that and i'm not a big fan of the current adidas templates regardless of which team is wearing them. at any rate, here's a link so you can check them out for yourselves:

red germany strip

This takes some getting used to. Yes, red is one of Germany's colours, but they look like England, without the St George's cross of course. Green was a cool colour. They had those for years which made sense because the Deutscher Fussball-bund logo is green.

I saw, I came, I left.

The green away strip was supposed to be in honour of the Irish who were the first team to resume international football with West Germany post WWII. It's a bit sad to see the tradition scrapped, given it actually had some meaning.

liverpool-1.png

Don't like it, why red, do they want to be like England, and honor the England 5:1 win in Germany few years ago? What pants and sox go into that combo. Thay can't go with black pants since in their home kit they wear black pants, so it's either red or white, which in no means say Germany. Bad, bad...

TodayI found out that Adidas wants Croatia to sign for them, since our Nike contract expires at the end of the year. Adidas is confident that Croatia will make it to the Germany 2006, and with a lot of Croatian working in Germany it would be great seeling item, that's why Adiads wants it, but know seeing what they are capable of doing with their own team, I can't imagin how much can they screw Croatia up. Croatia, be smart and sign with Umbro or Kappa.

I'm not really crazy about them either... Maybe if it was in black. It's a more unique color in UEFA's ranks. Gold would make them look too much like Romania, and the red makes them look like Belgium.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Mmmhhhh... well, well, well.

Before WWII, Germany had national flags that had red, white and black (I'm not talking about the Nazi flag). When soccer first appeared in Imperial Germany, the German used white and black unis and the red was reserved to the away shirt if the visitor had the same white shirt.

de1871.gif

Flag of the German Empire between 1871 and 1918 (when soccer was introducted there)

So I don't see nothing rare if the Germans begin again to use red in their unis. Thing is that I'm young and I was accustomed to see them in white or in green.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Although I'm all for using colors, I can't say that I'm a fan of this because like many others, I associate Germany soccer with black, white, and grey (and sometimes green). This would be nice as a third jersey (if there is such a thing in soccer), but not as the primary away.

If it were black with yellow Adidas stripes on the sleeves and red collar color things(which are currently black, don't know how to describe them) trimmed in yellow, then it'd be okay. You need to get red in there, just not as prominent. In my mind it also has an instant response mechanism of Red+Germany=Nazi Germany. The hockey jerseys for Germany are good because they emphasize black and yellow with only red as trim.

Black as the main color, good bit of yellow, red in trim only would be my preference for an ideal jersey, but with this template you can't really get that.

I think I'll draw up my ideal Germany kits.

Not so bad, Sabres7200. It's likable.

But I grew in an ambit with heavy tradition about heraldic stuff. European soccer doesn't escape from it. When the national shirts (in Europa) were conceived, the people rescued the strong colors from the country's history.

Germany is always white and black. A notorious red or yellow presence in the home shirt is non-minded.

Italy is always blue because despite no more presence in the national flag of the blue color, that color is truly national and was present in the ancient royal coat of arms.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived