2004 sports identity awards

kc51design

Ok, here is how is how i see it. Since this is the first year we are making a real effort at this, we should have a special catagory for the best current logo, which will be open to all sports logos. So, thusly, the Catagory list would look like so:

Award for Timeless Design Excellence

Sports Logo of the Year 2004

Uniform of the Year 2004

Identity Package of the Year 2004

Throwback Uniform of the Year 2004

Sporting Event Logo of the Year 2004

Playing Surface Design of the Year 2004

Concept of the Year 2004 (CCSLC Members)

What about a progressive design award, i.e. for a modernized logo / uni?

NOLAbanner.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, here is how is how i see it. Since this is the first year we are making a real effort at this, we should have a special catagory for the best current logo, which will be open to all sports logos. So, thusly, the Catagory list would look like so:

Award for Timeless Design Excellence

Sports Logo of the Year 2004

Uniform of the Year 2004

Identity Package of the Year 2004

Throwback Uniform of the Year 2004

Sporting Event Logo of the Year 2004

Playing Surface Design of the Year 2004

Concept of the Year 2004 (CCSLC Members)

What about a progressive design award, i.e. for a modernized logo / uni?

I'd prefer an Updated Identity Package award, open to teams who either update their look (ie. Hamilton) or do a complete redesign of their logo/unies (Manitoba).

But that's me.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Lami, i think what youa re looking for is the overall SLOTY award.

This year, Hamilton would be eligable.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

An exciting idea, gang! I'm interested in helping out in whatever way I can (judging, etc.).

Some suggestions... take them or leave them:

* What about naming the awards the Sports Branding Awards of Merit? The SBAMMIES (or S-BAMMIES), if you will? Branding covers all aspects of design that we're currently looking to recognize: logos, uniforms and playing surface design. Additionally, it allows us to add categories - if we desire - in the future (i.e. best slogan, marketing campaign, etc.).

* Alternately, we could go with the Sports Logo and Uniform Awards of Merit... the SLAMMIES or Grand SLAMs.

* Categories could include:

New Sports Logo Design of the Year - Recognizing the best achievement in a single, completely new sports logo design.

Updated Sports Logo Design of the Year - Recognizing the best achievement in updating a single, existing sports logo. (Think of the Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks and Hamilton Tiger-Cats in recent years.)

Sports Identity Package of the Year - Recognizing the best achievement in overall identity package design (either new or updated), including a family of marks and apllications (i.e. primaries, secondaries, tertiaries, wormarks, uniforms, playing surfaces and/or ancillary applications).

Sports Uniform Design of the Year

Sports Playing Surface Design of the Year

Sports Event Logo Design of the Year

Award for Timeless Excellence in Sports Design - This award would recognize a single logo, a complete identity pacakge, a uniform or a playing surface, the design of which - with minimal changes (if any) - has stood the test of time.

Sports Branding Professional of the Year - This award would recognize the accomplishments of an individual designer (or design firm) whose overall body of work in a calendar year (between our award ceremonies) is deemed the most outstanding.

Creamer Community Concept of the Year - This award would recognize the best achievement in sports branding design (logo, uniform and/or playing surface) by a member of the Chris Creamer Sports Logo Community.

If so desired, any of the first six awards could have sub-categories (i.e. Major Professional, Minor Professional, Collegiate and Amateur/Semi-Professional), with an award being presented in each (i.e. New Professional Sports Logo Design of the Year, New Minor Professional Sports Logo Design of the Year, etc.) and the overall award being presented to one of the four sub-category winners.

* I would say that the awards should cover a calendar year, with - as an example - the 2004 awards being presented in January of 2005 and recognizing all designs that were officially unveiled and used in at least one official instance in - let us say for this example - 2004.

I'm in favor of the above.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I second it, with a couple comments.

"Sports playing Surface of the year"...What exactly goes in this? Aside from basketball courts, are there any other sports to mention? Football might bring in some painted end zones, and LSU has the cool "feathered" tiger's eye at midfield, but there's not much there. I think this whole category is a little weak, simply because most, if not all surfaces in each sport are identical except for colors. Basketball might have once had the widest variety, but the trend of the 3-point arcs one color and the key another color has died down over the last few years.

If a design is unveiled during one calendar year, but not officially used until the next calendar year, into which year does the nomination go?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

(1) "Sports Playing Surface of the year"...What exactly goes in this? Aside from basketball courts, are there any other sports to mention? Football might bring in some painted end zones, and LSU has the cool "feathered" tiger's eye at midfield, but there's not much there. I think this whole category is a little weak, simply because most, if not all surfaces in each sport are identical except for colors. Basketball might have once had the widest variety, but the trend of the 3-point arcs one color and the key another color has died down over the last few years.

(2) If a design is unveiled during one calendar year, but not officially used until the next calendar year, into which year does the nomination go?

1) I'm not a fan of this category myself, but I recognize that others feel strongly enough about it to warrant it's inclusion. If the majority don't feel that the category deserves recognition, by all means remove it.

As an aside, keep in mind that an award does not have to be given out in every category every year. If the judges/nominators don't feel that there are any designs warranting selection in a particular category, that category should be bypassed for that given year. Otherwise, we run the risk of rewarding less than worthy efforts. Similarly, if absolutely no team/organization in a given year unveils a logo that is truly an updated logo design as opposed to a brand new logo design, then we wouldn't present an award in the Updated Sports Logo Design of the Year category.

2) I'm of a mind that the logos/identity packages/uniforms/playing surfaces must be used in a given year to qualify in their categories. Obviously, some logo design elements may be implemented on a team's website and merchandise immediately, while new uniforms and playing surfaces might have to wait until a season in the following calendar year to see their official use.

For example, in December of 2004 an NFL franchise unveils a new logo system, as well as uniforms and a playing field template. The logos immediately begin to show up in some applications on the team's website and merchandise, but the uniforms and field design won't make their official in-game debut until 2005. I could see where the logos could be eligible for 2004 awards, while the uniforms and field designs would be eligible for 2005 awards.

Still, if the majority believes that the year in which a design is nominated should be tied to the date of the initial official announcement and unveiling, I would support that as well.

Finally, while I have suggested that any of the first six categories I offered up could have sub-categories with each receiving an award, if the majority feels that this cheapens the awards (and I can see how it might), by all means ignore the suggestion and simply recognize the best example in each of the main categories. I simply felt that each of the sub-categories I mentioned (Major Professional, Minor Professional, Collegiate and Amateur/Semi-Professional) offered up unique opportunities/challenges for designers, thus resulting in unique generalized designs for each sub-category. Major Professional clients are more often looking for more corporate/iconic logos... Minor Professional clients are more often willing to go the "goofy mascot" route... Collegiate clients are often looking for updates of a more traditional logo design... Amateur/Semi-Professional clients are looking for a design on a fixed budget. I felt that if we were going to go with sub-categories, we should focus on sub-categories that actually impacted the finished design... not the somewhat arbitrary sub-categorization based solely on a sport.

I think we should go by first playing date of a new design.. that creates a definative break, and any new design would be released by the time the season starts

for instance, the Nationals design wouldnt count untill the 2005 awards.

ΓΔΒ!

What does SLUNI stand for?

SL = Sports Logo

UNI = Uniform

It is the Sports Logo and Uniform award, thus, the Sluni Award!

Excellent!

What does everyone think of my idea on how to handle it?

Sure...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

If, in a pretend world, I was in charge of this thing... i'd say the next step was Chris PMing his 8 people, asking them to be a aprt of it. Once those folks were onboard, it would be time to drive a hard nail into the list of awards, with the approval of the commitee, then, begin accepting nominations.

Chris?

ΓΔΒ!

If, in a pretend world, I was in charge of this thing... i'd say the next step was Chris PMing his 8 people, asking them to be a aprt of it. Once those folks were onboard, it would be time to drive a hard nail into the list of awards, with the approval of the commitee, then, begin accepting nominations.

Chris?

Yes'm?

Sure, I'll start working on a list of people -- I would probably pick them based on various attributes.

I do support the "rotating judges" idea, so if I don't pick you it could be because I want to save some "big guns" for 2005 :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Sure.. why dont we do this like some of the fantasy leagues do, and you be the commish.. you pick two vice, one serves a two year, one serves a 3 year. Then, the vice's and you pick the rest of the line up. You can serve more than one year, but not in a row.

Make sence?

Then go for it, Chris!

ΓΔΒ!

I would just suggest that let's not clog up the board with volunteers for judges or the like...let CC PM each of you/us if he wants us in.

This thread is already pretty long, let him decide. I think he has an idea who wants in already, as well as who he'd pick.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Agreed. I dont think too many people would decline,a nd if they did, he just PMs the next person and asks...

Rock and roll.

ΓΔΒ!

-shaking PM box up and down furiously-

I still dont see anything IN here... what is UP?

ΓΔΒ!

Archived