2004 sports identity awards

kc51design

Guys, I'm not sure if enyone ever tought about this, but since our community makes impact in the world of sports logos we should make something like ESPY, Oscar or Emmys for sports logos. Annaunce categories like best logo for a new team, best redesigned logo, best uniform update, best colors, best overall package, and everyone should vote, we get the winners, make a little icon with the award and send it to the teams, and the winners list send to Paul Lucas, and people who care about it. That could also be posted at ssur.org, and all sites with similar interest, and who knows in few years meybe we could have the acctual event held at MSG or MCG (those would be Medison Square Garden and Melbourne Cricket Ground)

What do you say? Chris?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you say? Chris?

I say I did this once before

Yes the SLOTY Awards (Sports Logos Of The Year) - a grand event that lasted one year recognising the best and worst in new logos from the past 12 months -- I think the Denver Broncos won it the only year it was held, and the Vancouver Canucks won in the Crappiest Logo category (shows you how long ago this was).

I think that may be a good idea to hold again, end the hiatus!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Now I remeber that, but this time it should be more serious, so without the worst logos, worst unifoms, let's make it more official, make 6-10 categories, put 5-6 submissions for each category and vote.

Let's see, categories:

Best logo for a new team - Corpus Christie, Hamburg Sea Devils, Washington Nationals...

Best logo family (primary, secondary, wordmark) Washington Nationals

Best redesigned logo - Utah Jazz

Best new unifom set - Memphies Grizzlies, Utah Jazz, Bobcats, Nationals

Best alternate uniform - Hawks, Warriors, Chicago Bears...

Best event logo - Superbowl, All Stars, College Bowls...

If we get enough responses I say we go for it, if there is no interest, oh well...

If there is a return of the SLOTY, will the VCL be far behind... haha, just kidding, I dont think those ever finished.

The first VCL tournament finished, I forget who won tho -- I know I didn't, and JQK didnt... and that's about it :)

---

Chris Creamer

My nominations would be but would change:

Best logo for a new team - Melbourne Victory (A-League Soccer, Australia)

Best logo family (primary, secondary, wordmark) Washington Nationals

Best redesigned logo - Victoria Giants (NBL, Australia, no-longer competing though until at least 2007)

Best new unifom set - Charlotte Bobcats

Best alternate uniform - St Kilda FC (AFL, Australia, nice and simple design)

Best event logo - Super Bowl XXXVIII (this years one)

i propose to hold it at Crown Palladium, Melbourne and we can get all media attention by getting all the teams owners that got nominated and all of us can get sponsors to pay for the trip to Sunny Melbourne.....i reckon it should be called the SLOTY II proudly brought to you by CCSLC... the media will love having the US sports teams owner over here....ok, i'm dreaming too much

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I like the idea.. Chris, you want some help organizing? I'd love to be part of it.

Maybe with the connections we have as a community, we could get some guest judges.

Lets get started!

Any more category suggestions, guys?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think this is something we should do, and make it an annual thing again.

I like the guest judges thing too, that'd be pretty neat!

RC, the VCL was a tournament for the best Viewer Created Logo, Viewer being a person who viewed my website... we held it once in 1998 and it was organised by myself and Mr. JQK.

---

Chris Creamer

I have an idea.. Chris.. pick 8 or 10 of us board folk as official judges, and then we can work on getting a guest vote form some folks.

Then, we submit a round of nominees, then vote in each category.

I think it woudl be marvelous.

As far as categories, I think having positive categories is a good idea, but I would liek to see something to the extend of "wish they'd wear throwbacks every day" or "Most Overdue for a Redesign" somethign to that extent.

Chris, IM or PM me, and I can get a private site set up for your judges to contribute, if you'd like.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

If you want to go nuts with categories-how about best/worst use of animals,

best worst use of letters, oddest mascot, or most inappropriate colour...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Let's not go overboard with categories, I know we are creative and we can make so many categories, but then the whole award thing would become a fun stuff for us on the board and wouldn't be recognized by anyone outside this community. Of course we can do that, but let's make it serious, let?s name thic bad boy, design him a logo, design an award and maybe give name to acctual award.

I agree to have only so many judges, and Chris is a right guy who can choose judges, based on involvment on this board, artistic skills and some variety on location, but everyone else should submit nominees. Or maybe the pannel of judges could be responsible for 80% of the final mark, while other viewers can add 20%... Someone contact Paul Lucas to make him a judge, and it would be great if we could have a special site with all nominees in all categories (with photos) so people could see (and vote).

Archived