Return to Classic Logo in Cleveland?

mohigan

Trivia: the designer of the new "Dawg" logo is the same designer of the logos and uniforms for the Washington Nationals and the [insert Your Name Here] Angels.

I think the Dawg logo was supposed to be for merchandise only anyway.

Todd Radom

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

Trivia: the designer of the new "Dawg" logo is the same designer of the logos and uniforms for the Washington Nationals and the [insert Your Name Here] Angels.

Todd Radom

I imagine he's the one that delievered the classic "That Chris Creamer guy" quote :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Todd Radom

I imagine he's the one that delievered the classic "That Chris Creamer guy" quote :)

Yep.

I laughed a lot when Todd said that...

(being guilty myself and all)

I think the Elf is related to what Europeans call a "Brownie". The Brownies are the helpers of Santa's Elves. Honest. In fact, in England, children hang socks on the wall for the 7 days prior to Christmas in hopes that the Brownies will leave them candy. So......Brownies = Browns. That's the way I learned it.

Very true! Though the team was named after owner coach Paul Brown and the elf was adopted after that.

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

Bucfan-

The way I've always understood it is that Paul Brown (for whom the team is named) chose the original color scheme, perhaps in part because of Bowling Green.

When Modell kicked Paul Brown out of Cleveland, he got picked up by the new organization in Cincinnati, and designed their look as well. Their initial look (with "BENGALS" on the helmet) was very Browns-esque, and orange-and-black isn't that far from orange-and-brown. Also, Paul Brown originally became famous as a high school coach, at Massillon HS, who are nicknamed the tigers and wear orange and black. They now play all of their home games at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.

I could be completely wrong about this, but it's how I've always understood it, and it seems to make sense.

Yep, that's about it. If you've ever seen old NFL Films footage of Browns-Bengals games of the early 70's (before Cleveland had the orange pants) the teams are almost indistinguishable.

And the St. Louis Browns had a very similar logo that I believe appeared right around WWII, but I'm not sure. The one that was referred to earlier in this thread was actually supposed to be St. Louis if I'm not mistaken.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

true. But the dawg is a connection to the Canton Bulldogs ( the first team ever ).

Nope. The Dawg is a connection to the Browns defense of the 80's. Though there was a Cleveland team in the late 20's-early 30's that had a connection to the Bulldogs as they bought out Canton, raided it of it's best players and renamed themselves the Cleveland Bulldogs. Of course before then they were the Cleveland Indians.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The elf rocks. I'd love to see it incorporated into the helmets and/or uniforms. Any of you talented folks up to do a concept of that? Or maybe someone already has?

I think it could take the most boring NFL uniforms and make them the most unique.

Archived