The Last Team Standing

WJMorris3

Which team will be the last unbeaten team this year?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, we're down to four teams left unbeaten, so it begs the question. What team will be the last to lose this year?

Will it be Boston College, currently 13-0 with a win over UConn?

Or will it be Duke, 12-0 with a win over Michigan State?

Will it be Illinois, 18-0 with wins over Cincinnati, Gonzaga, and Wake Forest?

Or will it be Kansas, 13-0 with wins over Georgia Tech and Kentucky?

Folks, lock in your vote now.

LvZYtbZ.png

I say Illinois, but I kinda hope not. Nobody's done it ever. It'd be so sweet for them to, but I'd take a loss in the Big Ten Championship game.

I say they have the best chance for a few reasons.

1) I'm a huge homer.

2) I can't see them losing at home. On the road they have Wisconsin, Michigan state and Iowa in the way of tough competition. Those will be tough, any away game in the big ten is. If they can get through those three, I think they can run the table.

3) They've shown no weakness. They've over come halftime deficents, they've played strong teams, they've had that target on their back for 5 weeks now and haven't had big heads or let it faze them at all.

Kansas would be my second pick. The Big 12 doesn't have much to offer.

They get Texas and Ok State at home, but have to go to Oklahoma. I bet out of those three they'll lose one and only have one loss going in to the tournament.

Duke, I can't see them running the table in the ACC. They've got GT twice, Wake twice, UNC twice. If they win all those games, and Illinois is still undefeated, I'd vote duke number 1.

I voted for Kansas. I dont think they will lose until late Feb. On a related note I think Puke is the most overrated undefeated team. They have a really weak schedule and its not too impressive that they are undefeated. If they make it past Maryland I garuntee they will be destroyed by Wake.

In a somewhat weak Big Ten, it looks like Illinois may go undefeated atleast through the remainder of the regular season. BC is definetely the suprise coming from what a lot consider to be, from top to bottom, the best conference in the Nation.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't care if illinois loses a game in the regular season, I just hope they are the last one standing.

I think BC loses against a underrated georgetown team and Illinois loses at Michigan State in a very close game.

Nobody can beat Illinois at home. Sure wisconsin had a 38 game win streak, but do you know that Illinois has lost 3 home games this century?! They have the best home record in the country over that span. The assembly hall is very a very tough place to play, and it doesn't get much respect in those terms.

I'll admit, the building itself is not a great atmosphere. The floors are sticky, the place smells like a mix of stale beer, old nachos, and popcorn. (which is interesting because as far as I know, beer has never been sold there) The concessions are awful too. But the orange krush near the court, the fans all the way around of all ages standing on their feet for much of the game, and chief illiniwek make it a awesome place to go to for a basketball game.

There has been talk about a new basketball only facility or a 60 million dollar renovation to Assembly Hall and it'd be awesome if they do either. Everything else except the assembly hall and memorial stadium is top of the line.

I'll make a prediction that Puke's undefeated season ends tonight vs. Miami.

You were a week off. So close :D

Well I sorta also made the prediction that they would lose to the Terps:

On a related note I think Puke is the most overrated undefeated team. They have a really weak schedule and its not too impressive that they are undefeated. If they make it past Maryland I garuntee they will be destroyed by Wake.

it'll be Illinois, but not because they're great so much as that they play in a crappy conference with no dominant big men. Starting 3 PGs and having no depth doesnt bode well; I'll eat my shoe if they make it to the Final Four

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

it'll be Illinois, but not because they're great so much as that they play in a crappy conference with no dominant big men. Starting 3 PGs and having no depth doesnt bode well; I'll eat my shoe if they make it to the Final Four

But starting the three best guards in the nation(yes, it's very debatable, but I case could easily be made...and no, I'm not sure I'd really make that claim, but you know what I'm getting at) does bode well.

And your not paying attention to this team if you don't think the Illini are deep.

Engram, Smith, McBride? All three of them could start and do play a lot of minutes and contribute greatly.

From there, the Illini don't play many others, but Carter, Randle, and Pruitt are all very capable as well.

And while the conference isn't as strong as it traditionally has been, it is on the rise again and is very underated.

As for big men, Wisconsin had that. Didn't stop the Illini.

In fact, everytime the "big men" challenge has been brought up, the Illini have come through.

This team is the real deal.

Yeap, they ain't great. Unanamous number 1 team, beaten 4 ranked teams by at least 10, including the current number 4 by 20.

If you haven't noticed, the college game doesn't have big men anymore. They all go to the NBA. Its a guard game now, and that's why its so fun to watch.

And I agree with STL, Illinois has a great bench. Minus Nick Smith everyone on the bench that plays would start for most of the big ten teams.

Nick smith is awful. He always has been. He's Steve Roth all over again. Except I think Steve Roth played for like 8 years.

I have always liked Nick Smith. I think he's somewhat of a secret weapon to be honest.

He's tall, but he's not bulky. Thus, he's big without being your typical big man. So on offense, he moves around and has a great jump shot. On defense, he can play big and is pretty good at blocking and on the boards.

He has pretty bad asthma or something, so he can't play for prolonged periods of time, but I've always liked having Nick Smith.

Archived