Will's You Make The Call

WJMorris3

What do you do on the point after touchdown?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(This is just to see what your personal strategy would be.)

Okay. You're the head coach of the Detroit Lions, playing against the Dallas Cowboys. With the clock running down, and the Lions up 21-20, the Cowboys take their timeouts defensively. They use their final timeout with 2:03 left in the fourth quarter. It's fourth and goal from the 5.

You call a play-action pass play.

Joey Harrington throws a touchdown pass to Az-Zahir Hakim right at the two-minute warning. But there's a flag on the play. It's pass interference against Roy Williams of the Cowboys.

On the ensuing point-after play, do you go for one to make it an eight-point game? Or do you go for two and try and make it a two possesion game?

LvZYtbZ.png

Personally, I think the NFL rules committee should do away with the extra point try and make all post touchdown plays a 2pt conversion.

Think about it. EX PTs. are as automatic as they come. Why not put some excitement and unppredictablity into the play by mandating that teams must try for 2.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Personally, I think the NFL rules committee should do away with the extra point try and make all post touchdown plays a 2pt conversion.

Think about it. EX PTs. are as automatic as they come. Why not put some excitement and unppredictablity into the play by mandating that teams must try for 2.

Tell that to last year's New Orleans Saints. They scored what could have been the game tying touchdown to go to the playoffs on a miracle of a kick return. what happened? They missed the extra point, lost the game, and were left out of the playoffs.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

If I'm in charge, I kick. Harrington sucks, it must have been a fluke that he got the ball to Hakim in the first place. The defense/special teams probably scored the first 21 points. Hanson's pretty automatic. Hell, he probably scored the 21 points by himself, kicking 7 field goals.

You kick the 1 point and make it an 8 point game. If you go for 2 and miss all they need is 7 points to tie. If you kick they need td and 2 pt which is hard with already even harder with 2 minutes. Play it safe and make it where even if they get a td they still have to work for the tie and don't chance it where if they do get a td all they need is an extra point.

That makes no sense. You'd take points off the board and re-run a 4th down play? The clock would not start until the ball is snapped. You can take all the delays-of-game you want, no time will tick off until you either score or turnover the ball.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

No, Nick is right.

I've been holding off because me and Will had already discussed it...but since Nick brought it up...

You accept the penalty. The situation is then 1st and goal. There are 2:00 left, and the Cowboys have no time outs.

Forty second play clocks mean you can take 3 knees and run the clock out.

Sure, an 8 point lead seems secure, but there is no better option than the 99% gurantee.

You go for 1 because its hard to get a Two Pointer and if you fail all the Cowbosy need to do is kick an extra point to tie teh game if you go for 1 and lead by 8 then they must try to get a hard to get 2-pointer.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived