Are the Pats a dynasty if they win?

patsox

Willl the Patriots be a dynasty if they win the superbowl?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

thats ridiculous, thats like saying the 9ers werent a dynasty because they didnt win 3 in a row.

A dynasty is a team that dominates in an era.

3 Super Bowls in 4 years especially in this era of free agency would be considered a dynasty in my books

I agree 101% with you.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I also agree. I don't mind if someone sets tougher standards for dynastys but usually it only happens when a team that person hates is being discussed as a dynasty team. Sure you have the Bears in the 40s, Browns and Lions in the 50s, Packers in the 60s, Steelers in the 70s, 49ers in the 80s and Cowboys in the 90s.

So if you want to make it so that a team has to win three in a row I don't have a problem with that, but that's not how I determine a dynasty. You win 3-5 championship in a period of 5 years. That's a dynasty to me. Not conference championships either. League titles.

Conference Championships just makes you a Great team, not a dynasty. So sorry to the Braves and Bills of the 90s, Sorry to the Lakers of the early 80s, sorry to the Vikings in the 70s, sorry to the Redskins of the 40s and everyone else that came close. You just don't make the cut. Surely the Lakers finally strung a few together in the end but the rest never made it to the dynasty level. They were just great teams.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

So to you, the NFL has never had a dynasty?

I guess not--there have been dominant teams--but in my books a dominant team is not necessarily a dynasty--although dynasties are always dominant teams--it's basically a matter of degree, I'm just a bit more strict on using the word...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I had a guy try to argue the Bills with me a few days back - he insisted I call them a dynasty. In my mind, a dynasty actually has to win something. It's great that the Bills made four straight Superbowls, but losing all four doesn't exactly meet any criteria for a dynasty. The unofficial Dynasty definition is the domination of an era.

In Hockey, the number of Stanley Cup wins neccessary for a "dynasty" label has been four. Nowadays ,with free agency and player turnover, I think three in three, four in four or four in five would qualify a team as a dynasty (I don't think three in four is good enough, even today).

Other NHL Dynastys:

1919-1927 Ottawa Senators

1947-1951 Toronto Maple Leafs

1950-1955 Detroit Red Wings

1956-1960 Montreal Canadiens

1962-1967 Toronto Maple Leafs

1965-1969 Montreal Canadiens

1976-1979 Montreal Canadiens

1980-1984 New York Islanders

1984-1990 Edmonton Oilers

In Basketball, there have only been four.

1948-1954 Minneapolis Lakers

1958-1969 Boston Celtics

1990-1998 Chicago Bulls

1999-2002 Los Angeles Lakers

You can debate the 99-02 Lakers if you want, but the sheer dominance of Kobe and Shaq during those three title wins must count for something. I think basketball follows much the same criteria as hockey, three in three, four in four, four in five.

In baseball, the criteria becomes a lot different. You can debate all of these if you want, but I think that as soon as a team goes three seasons without a title, that's the end of the dynasty in baseball.

1912-1918 Boston Red Sox

1936-1939 New York Yankees

1949-1954 New York Yankees

1972-1974 Oakland Athletics

1996-2000 New York Yankees

And finally, football - I feel 3 out of 4 is the minimum here, 4 out of 6, etc.

1975-1980 Pittsburgh Steelers

1982-1990 San Francisco 49ers

1993-1996 Dallas Cowboys

Oh, yeah, the whole point of this? Pats are a dynasty if they win this year.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Oh and the NFL has seen a dynasty under Stampman rules.

1961 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 37, New York Giants 0

1962 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 16, New York Giants 7

1963 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 40, Cleveland Browns 23

and again:

1965 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 13, Baltimore Colts 10 (OT)

1966 AFL-NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 35, Kansas City Chiefs 10

1967 AFL-NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 33, Oakland Raiders 14

1964: Lost 3rd Place game to the St. Louis Cardinals 24-17

1960: Lost the NFL Championship to the Eagles 17-13.

If that's not a dynasty, then I don't know what is.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Let's spell "D"ynasty with a capital D - I would think that 5-10 years would best suit a professional sport, but with free agency, I'd say 3-5 years would be the new watermark for our age of sports.

So yes - I would say that they would be. I just hope for another great game!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Oh and the NFL has seen a dynasty under Stampman rules.

1961 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 37, New York Giants 0

1962 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 16, New York Giants 7

1963 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 40, Cleveland Browns 23

and again:

1965 NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 13, Baltimore Colts 10 (OT)

1966 AFL-NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 35, Kansas City Chiefs 10

1967 AFL-NFL Championship: Green Bay Packers 33, Oakland Raiders 14

1964: Lost 3rd Place game to the St. Louis Cardinals 24-17

1960: Lost the NFL Championship to the Eagles 17-13.

If that's not a dynasty, then I don't know what is.

Okay--I'll go along with that...

(and as people who disagree with me have pointed out they hate the Pats--Well I'm not a Packers fan--ugly uniforms too...)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I think Micheal Irvin put it best. They are a dynasty they just dont look like it because they dont have any superstars. If you look at past dynasties they had great players like Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Ricky Watters, and Deion Sanders of the 49ers.

For baseball, would you add the 1966-1983 Baltimore Orioles. Alot of Orioles fans I know consider it a dynasty.

I think Micheal Irvin put it best. They are a dynasty they just dont look like it because they dont have any superstars. If you look at past dynasties they had great players like Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Ricky Watters, and Deion Sanders of the 49ers.

For baseball, would you add the 1966-1983 Baltimore Orioles. Alot of Orioles fans I know consider it a dynasty.

Montana, Rice, Walsh, Clark,& Craig made the 49ers a Dynasty, not Young, Seifert, Watters, & Sanders.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Montana, Rice, Walsh, Clark,& Craig made the 49ers a Dynasty, not Young, Seifert, Watters, & Sanders.

Sorry I just watched the Super Bowl XXIX film last night. So they just came into my mind.

Archived