Celtics Package

andrewharrington

all right. mac if you read this, please respond to my PM. the celtics logo thread from a few days ago. im from ohio. i have friends from dublin. consequently, i decided to create something that would put that mockery of a logo the dublin jerome class president "designed" to shame.

i started with macs idea of a warrior in profile, then ditched it for this, because i did not like how the profile rendering was coming out. the main colors are the two greens and the gold, white is an accent, along with the burnt orange and the light gold. Face logo, upper body logo, which i may add one with legs as well later, a few sword and shield logos, and a couple seals. wordmarks are modified garamond scripts. more solid and modern than regular garamond.

keep in mind that the oter two high schools in dublin are called the fighting irish and the shamrocks, so this one needed to be pretty unique. whats the word? how does it work, how doesnt it, what can i do to improve it?

Dublin-Jerome.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

not bad playa but you gotta get some contrast. the greens are the same tone but different hues (or the other way around). same with the gold, it just doesnt contrast enough. i have problems with that too sometimes. as far as execution its fine, except he does look mad, with a lil bit o constipated in there (yeah i made that up). good job

definitely. id say the inspiration is LA kings and toronto argonauts, with the man and shield logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yeah, I do see the Argo influence, but the sword being held by the Celt needs to have the handle area contrast more with the rest of his body, and definately lighten the lighter shade of green.

VmWIn6B.png

I know this might sound contrived/overdone but enlarging the "S" in Celtics might balance the mark a bit more. I absolutely dig the wordmark and the knotwork.

Keep in mind the importantance culturally of the knotwork and the meanings behind the knots, and even the claddagh for instance. Use them to your advantage as you work through this, create the story of what this work means, this kind of thought helps convey your work to the client or potential client showing that you did your homework and know from where you draw references. You could utilize the knotwork to accent the wordmark creating a unique and ornate solution.

Not much feeling the as Josh put it? "constipated" celt.

I think the strength that you have is the knot and wordmark should drive this package. I would consider the name of "Celtics" indicative of the whole not to be identified by just one man, if that makes any sense.

Again tone and color are important and need to provide a necessary contrast, maybe a more striking mix of green/green tied into the gold with a minor accent of silver, just to pop things off a bit.

I know this might sound contrived/overdone but enlarging the "S" in Celtics might balance the mark a bit more. I absolutely dig the wordmark and the knotwork.

Keep in mind the importantance culturally of the knotwork and the meanings behind the knots, and even the claddagh for instance. Use them to your advantage as you work through this, create the story of what this work means, this kind of thought helps convey your work to the client or potential client showing that you did your homework and know from where you draw references. You could utilize the knotwork to accent the wordmark creating a unique and ornate solution.

Not much feeling the as Josh put it? "constipated" celt.

I think the strength that you have is the knot and wordmark should drive this package. I would consider the name of "Celtics" indicative of the whole not to be identified by just one man, if that makes any sense.

Again tone and color are important and need to provide a necessary contrast, maybe a more striking mix of green/green tied into the gold with a minor accent of silver, just to pop things off a bit.

damn you give some great c&c, ill have updates to my soldiers package over the weekend, hope you are on

I actually think your wordmark is one of your strongest points here. I have always found it difficult to incorporate a classic-styled font that is not bulky and bold and fast-mosving and make it look good as an athletic mark. I agree with the rest of the posts on the contrast too. Definitely can see the LA Kings influence...maybe if the mouth was a bit different it could help that out a bit. Overall a really great approach to the concept. :)

this is my opinon too. i want the knot and/or swords to take major precedence over the celt. i think they better suit the heritage of the name. the celt might make a nice mascot, for banners/signs or something. can anyone think of a good celtic name for him?

this is my opinon too. i want the knot and/or swords to take major precedence over the celt. i think they better suit the heritage of the name. the celt might make a nice mascot, for banners/signs or something. can anyone think of a good celtic name for him?

Bob

:D

Angus?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

tempest,

Looking great! Glad to see you found a good font, and you executed it well through the wordmark.

The swords/shield logos are stunning! Funny thing is, before it was postponed/cancelled, I was planning to use that exact celtic pattern on the hockey mask I was working on for the WLPT.

I have something to nitpick about the warrior, though. Body looks good, but it's that ponytail-looking thing on the helmet that bothers me. What's up with that? Last time I checked, celtic warriors didn't have green ponytails! :P

Bottom line: I'd be extremely proud to flaunt those logos if they belonged to my high school! Sick work, buddy. :grin:

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

histoireguerriercelte.jpg

BOOM! haha its a helmet garnish. they were probably made of horsehair. do you guys think a spear would be better in the logo, like this warrior is brandishing, or do you like the sword?

i though about it, but it wouldnt be authentic. braveheart was about the scots, not the celts.

Thing I don't like is the upper body look... the arm looks a little odd for whatever reason (the musculature is awkward), the man lacks a neck, and the pose is lacking the intimidation factor. (Additionally, the helmet is sitting up pretty high on his head... lots of forehead showing.)

It looks like it was picture day at Warrior School, and so he sat up straight, gave his best grimace, and went on his way.

Regardless, great start on the warrior logos.

I do like the non-warrior logos... they're really good looking pieces of work. The wordmark is terrific.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Thing I don't like is the upper body look... the arm looks a little odd for whatever reason (the musculature is awkward), the man lacks a neck, and the pose is lacking the intimidation factor.

It looks like it was picture day at Warrior School, and so he sat up straight, gave his best grimace, and went on his way.

so instead of "I'm Rick James, bitch!" hes saying "Grrrrr, Bitch!"?

Just messing around, tempest you know I like the logos...

Archived