Spot the error...

Stampman

In the statement on NHL.com on the season's cancellation-

(here)

Gary Bettman says this-

The National Hockey League was formed in 1917, and it has played a season through to a championship in every year but 1919.

Now what's incorrect about this statement?

It may seem like nitpicking--but he is the commissioner of the NHL, so he should know better...

Anybody spot the error?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

In the statement on NHL.com on the season's cancellation-

(here)

Gary Bettman says this-

The National Hockey League was formed in 1917, and it has played a season through to a championship in every year but 1919.

Now what's incorrect about this statement?

It may seem like nitpicking--but he is the commissioner of the NHL, so he should know better...

Anybody spot the error?

Let's see.

The first part is right. The 1917-1918 season was the first for the NHL. The 1919 games for the Stanley Cup were cancelled due to the flu here in Seattle, so that's right.

I don't see it? :Oo:

Ooh, you were so close...

Go back and re-read the quote--Bettman said championship--you said Stanley Cup...

Oh that the league didn't take control of the Cup until '26? So they weren't necessarily champions every year?

The NHL has always played to a championship. That championship hasn't always been rewarded with the Stanley Cup, however; prior to the NHL taking control of the Cup, the NHL, and PCHL champions faced off in a Cup series. The series that was canceled in 1919 was the series between the NHL champions, Montreal, and the PCHL champions, Seattle.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ooh, you were so close...

Go back and re-read the quote--Bettman said championship--you said Stanley Cup...

Oh that the league didn't take control of the Cup until '26? So they weren't necessarily champions every year?

On track--

There always was an NHL champion each season until 2004-2005. And that includes 1919--the Montreal Canadiens were the 1919 NHL champions...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The NHL has always played to a championship.  That championship hasn't always been rewarded with the Stanley Cup, however; prior to the NHL taking control of the Cup, the NHL, and PCHL champions faced off in a Cup series.  The series that was canceled in 1919 was the series between the NHL champions, Montreal, and the PCHL champions, Seattle.

Way to go Metros! 1917 Stanley Cup champs.

The arena they played in is a steakhouse now. Out front is a little plaque indicating it is the home of the first Seattle pro championship team. They were also the first (and only for 11 more years) US team to win it, although the Portland Rosebuds played for it a year earlier.

nlc006601-v6.jpg

The NHL has always played to a championship.  That championship hasn't always been rewarded with the Stanley Cup, however; prior to the NHL taking control of the Cup, the NHL, and PCHL champions faced off in a Cup series.  The series that was canceled in 1919 was the series between the NHL champions, Montreal, and the PCHL champions, Seattle.

And we have a winner...

Maybe nitpicking--but Bettman is the Commissioner and should know better.

That statement jsut rubbed me the wrong way-

The Stanley Cup was not awarded. But they played the NHL season and had a champion.

Another thing that irks me about that sytatement is that it trivializes 1919 and the flu epidemic...

That year the Cup was not awarded for a good reason.

It was a matter of life & death then.

Now? It's greed...

No comparison.

They should just give the Stanley Cup to Calgary this year. Everyone okay with that? They were an overtime goal away from it for crying out loud.

No argument from this Flames fan--include an asterik as well--I'm okay with that too...

They should just give the Stanley Cup to Calgary this year. Everyone okay with that? They were an overtime goal away from it for crying out loud.

well Calgary would of won the Cup in Calgary in Game 6 but they dis-allowed the goal that went over the line and into Khabibulin glove, which was also across the line.

8prlQWA.png

Nah, the Flames already won the Cup in '89. One's good enough. That being said, give it to the Kings, who had it stolen from their hands in '93. Yeah, who needs to use an illegal stick call as an excuse to get a late PP? The Canadiens, that's who! Winners of 23 Cups before that one. WTF? The Cup was pretty much a lock in LA if not for that weak-ass call. GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!!! :D

(Yeah, I'm still bitter. So what?)

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Nah, the Flames already won the Cup in '89. One's good enough. That being said, give it to the Kings, who had it stolen from their hands in '93. Yeah, who needs to use an illegal stick call as an excuse to get a late PP? The Canadiens, that's who! Winners of 23 Cups before that one. WTF? The Cup was pretty much a lock in LA if not for that weak-ass call. GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!!! :D

(Yeah, I'm still bitter. So what?)

Obviously bitter--if you blame all 4 Habs wins on that call...

Obviously bitter--if you blame all 4 Habs wins on that call...

Consider how games 3 and 4 were in LA, and how the Habs won those (plus game 2) in OT, and they were really THAT ripped off. <_<

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

They should just give the Stanley Cup to Calgary this year.  Everyone okay with that?  They were an overtime goal away from it for crying out loud.
No argument from this Flames fan--include an asterik as well--I'm okay with that too...
well Calgary would of won the Cup in Calgary in Game 6 but they dis-allowed the goal that went over the line and into Khabibulin glove, which was also across the line.

:lol:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

They should just give the Stanley Cup to Calgary this year.  Everyone okay with that?  They were an overtime goal away from it for crying out loud.

:lol:

Hey I don't expect them to give the Flames the Cup--but I wouldn't complain if they did...

Archived