Real Salt Lake to Unveil 2005 Jerseys 3/12

mcan

Real Salt Lake Jersey Unveiling

Be the first to see the new Real Salt Lake jersey, the same ones the players will be wearing on the field during the club's inaugural season, on March 12th in Park City. Real Salt Lake will be joined by adidas to show to the world the colors of MLS' newest team! More details are coming soon.

See Link if you like. See second blurb.

In training photos they've been using very basic navy, black & white training kits. See photo here.

In the logo unvieling in 11/04 the following description was given:

"To help combine the theme of royalty with local and soccer-specific symbolism, the club incorporated Real Gold into its color scheme, which also features Claret Red -- meant to signify the passion of the local fans -- and Cobalt Blue -- intended to represent the surrounding mountains and lakes. The team Saturday also unveiled its shield, which features the Real word mark atop the RSL ligature, with a crown above the "e" in Real."

I'll post anything that runs in the local media here. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the unveiling.

god... i already hate this team...

and now theyre officially using the color "claret"? now i feel even more hate.

Seriously, I don't get this team at all. "Real Salt Lake"? Did nobody tell them that "Real" means "royal" in Spanish, and teams with that name should be endorsed by some sort of monarch? Is there a King of Utah that I've never heard of? I can't believe they would just rip off Spanish teams like that just to sound European.

**breathing deeply** Sorry, I just had to vent. Glad I got that off my chest.

Seriously, I don't get this team at all. "Real Salt Lake"? Did nobody tell them that "Real" means "royal" in Spanish, and teams with that name should be endorsed by some sort of monarch? Is there a King of Utah that I've never heard of? I can't believe they would just rip off Spanish teams like that just to sound European.

i couldn't agree more...

and i actually LIKE the new trend of MLS teams trying to sound more traditionally soccer.

DC United... they aren't 2 team that actually merged, like united originally meant, but being in the capital of the united states really makes it fit together. it's a great name.

FC Dallas... i know a lot of people hate this one because it's not SC, but I'd say a majority of the old dallas burn fans were spanish speaking... the games come on the spanish channels in dallas a lot of the time... and texas borders mexico... i've got no problems with FC Dallas... in fact, i LOVE the new traditional name/kits (red and white hoops)

but ReAL (be very specific with the capitalization, to ensure that the mormonzzzz :P understand how to pronounce it.) Salt Lake is an awful stretch...

if a team in california wanted to be Real something, i'd accept it, because LA and Sacto are both the kings... but to name any team in the USA after royalty is just silly.... hell... maybe that canadian expansion team they've been talking about would make a good "Real", because of their ties to the monarchy of england... but not salt lake city.

i honestly think they would have been find just naming their team Salt Lake City... works for Manchester City, doesn't it? :)

and i actually LIKE the new trend of MLS teams trying to sound more traditionally soccer.

DC United... they aren't 2 team that actually merged, like united originally meant, but being in the capital of the united states really makes it fit together. it's a great name.

FC Dallas... i know a lot of people hate this one because it's not SC, but I'd say a majority of the old dallas burn fans were spanish speaking... the games come on the spanish channels in dallas a lot of the time... and texas borders mexico... i've got no problems with FC Dallas... in fact, i LOVE the new traditional name/kits (red and white hoops)

but ReAL (be very specific with the capitalization, to ensure that the mormonzzzz :P understand how to pronounce it.) Salt Lake is an awful stretch...

Yeah, I agree with that ... even when MLS first rolled out, it was kind of odd with the traditional North American city-nickname combination ... DC United sounded like the only true soccer team of the bunch.

Even FC Dallas is heaps better than the Dallas Burn, which sound like ... no, I'd better not go there. :)

But, yeah, Real Salt Lake is just too much of a stretch.

Apparently, they have a partnership with real madrid, similar to chivas/ chivas usa. not as deep of an interest though.

Jorge Vergara owns CD Chivas in Mexico and is the Chief Investor/Operator of Chivas USA.

ReAL Salt Lake and Real Madrid have absolutely nothing similar to this. They might have a slight marketing deal, but no official ownership interest...

patriotssignature.png

Ladies & Gentleman, I give you the King of Utah!

brigham%20young%20utah%20pc.jpg

:D

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

i couldn't agree more...

if a team in california wanted to be Real something, i'd accept it, because LA and Sacto are both the kings... but to name any team in the USA after royalty is just silly.... hell... maybe that canadian expansion team they've been talking about would make a good "Real", because of their ties to the monarchy of england... but not salt lake city.

i honestly think they would have been find just naming their team Salt Lake City... works for Manchester City, doesn't it? :)

I like it too. I dunno what all the bitching is about. It's soccer, not hockey.

Would you rather them be Salt Lake City Mountain Catzzzzzz...or something equally ridiculous.

I mean, with all the new ridiculous names in major league sports - Devil Rays rings most prominently - I like that a league is trying to stick its roots. They're more interested in creating a league that has some global cred, rather than "Americanizing" soccer.

That's a smart move, IMHO.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M |Β RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors |Β USA: Front Range United |Β IFA: Toverit Helsinki |Β FOBL:Β Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National ChampionsΒ 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finalsΒ 2012, 2013, 2014Β Big 4 Conference Champions

Β 

Would you rather them be Salt Lake City Mountain Catzzzzzz...or something equally ridiculous.

I mean, with all the new ridiculous names in major league sports - Devil Rays rings most prominently - I like that a league is trying to stick its roots. They're more interested in creating a league that has some global cred, rather than "Americanizing" soccer.

But it has zero credibility at all when a MLS team rips-off an existing football team with an exceedingly long and complex history. I mean, in Europe, football is tied into a nation's culture. Celtic or Rangers means Catholic or Protestant. Real Madrid or Barcelona is tell-tale of your political beliefs. Their histories are interlinked with the Spanish Civil War and the factions involved at that time.

Real Salt Lake is just silly because it takes the existing name and in a way, steals from that history.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

they should definitely rock that portrait of brigham young as their logo and on their jerseys.

old rodney dangerfield joke talking about the man, "I don't care how you bring'em, as long as they're young"

no offense to any mormons out there.

But it has zero credibility at all when a MLS team rips-off an existing football team with an exceedingly long and complex history. I mean, in Europe, football is tied into a nation's culture. Celtic or Rangers means Catholic or Protestant. Real Madrid or Barcelona is tell-tale of your political beliefs. Their histories are interlinked with the Spanish Civil War and the factions involved at that time.

Real Salt Lake is just silly because it takes the existing name and in a way, steals from that history.

i couldn't agree more.

names like "united" or "FC something" are great, because they are so common, they aren't ripoffs...

but real is just awful, for the seasons you named.

They're more interested in creating a league that has some global cred, rather than "Americanizing" soccer.

If you think that lamely copying international naming trends is earning MLS "global cred" on the world soccer scene... well, then you're as misguided as the saps in Major League Soccer's marketing department.

DC United? FC Dallas? Real Salt Lake? They're all just hollow imitations of a soccer "heritage" that hasn't existed in the United States in any great manner since the 1920s/1930s.

What's more, the only thing that would earn professional soccer in the US the "global cred" you speak of would be a vast improvement in on-field play. You can put a $400.00 dress, $200.00 shoes and $150.00 worth of make-up and perfume on a pig... and its still a pig. Soccer fans in other countries are snickering at Major League Soccer's latest attempt to "legitimize" itself. It's absolutely assenine.

True, but not all "United" teams were created by a merger of existing clubs. Some just adopted the word like DC did.

West Ham United, for one. They changed from Thames Iron Works FC (which is a much better name, IMO) to West Ham United when they reformed in 1900. This was two years before the birth of the most famous United, up in Manchester (EDIT: which wasn't created from the merger of two clubs either).

Hey, if Arsenal can still be Arsenal, West Ham should have stayed Thames Irons.

Archived