Ot: bears football...

jonkj

For instance, NFL Europe has ads on the jerseys, NFL does not. Which league has better play.

Point taken, and I also take nitroseeds point as well. I am not suggesting advertising isnt ugly, far from it, but its the price you pay!!

Then again, as Bill Hicks (RIP) put it 'If anybody is in advertising or marketing... kill yourselves.'

I do kinda hanker after a purer age, particularly in sports- I bet it was more fun then- I bet coaches/ manages weren't under as much stress and I bet players enjoyed playing more. But most of all I bet fans had more fun (even if they were sitting on cramped uncomfortable bleechers!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's unfortunate but true - it is necessary for corporate sponsorships to be part of the mix, particularly in low-revenue amateur sports.  Rising costs for everything from equipment to insurance is the culprit in the amateur ranks, while out of control player salaries are to blame in the pros.

But some small-timers are learning from the big boys... in my flag football league for instance, the league is the "Independent Flag Football League, presented by Carolina Ale House," while our post season consists of our championship game (the Grand Bowl), the Carolina Corporation Systems Cherry Bowl, the MalianteGear Salad Bowl, and the Awards Express USA Popcorn Bowl.

The sponsorship deals that spawn these names?  They represent 60% of the league's revenue.  And there's lots of sponsorship "inventory" that can still be exploited if we chose to.  Though we'd never sell naming rights to our championship game, we could easily sell rights to our various player trophies, to division names, to our web site - just about anywhere.

Is it corporate whoring?  Sure it is.  But unfortunately without it, many amateur leagues (and some professional) wouldn't be able to stay afloat due to rising costs.

nav-logo.png

And after all the World Series i8s named after a sponsorship deal! Its nothing new!! (JP Morgan bailed out the US economy twice in the first decade of the 20th century- everyone needs money every now and again!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And after all the World Series i8s named after a sponsorship deal!

Huh?  World Series is a sponsorship?  Esplain dis one to me, Lucy...

Oh, and by the way, Viking owner Red McCombs, when interviewed about the Bears deal, basically said it was innovative and he couldn't wait to arrange a similar deal for the Vikings...   :(

nav-logo.png

Oh, and by the way, Viking owner Red McCombs, when interviewed about the Bears deal, basically said it was innovative and he couldn't wait to arrange a similar deal for the Vikings... :(

Well, I guess the big question will be whether it will be Vikings Football Presented by the Mall of America or Vikings Football Presented by the Greater Los Angeles Toyota Dealers.

yhollander Posted on June 27 2003,09:18

Well, I guess the big question will be whether it will be Vikings Football Presented by the Mall of America or Vikings Football Presented by the Greater Los Angeles Toyota Dealers.

:laugh:  Or How about: Diablos Football presented by the Greater San Antonio Ford Dealer!  :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Huh? World Series is a sponsorship? Esplain dis one to me, Lucy...

Well, the World Series was originally named for the newspaper which put up the money for the first series (An old Chicago paper I believe)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Huh? World Series is a sponsorship? Esplain dis one to me, Lucy...

Well, the World Series was originally named for the newspaper which put up the money for the first series (An old Chicago paper I believe)

This is a myth. From the Urban Legends Reference Page:

The New York World never had anything to do with the World Series, however, other than being one of the many newspapers to report the results. The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" -- the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."

Urban Legends Reference Page

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The New York World never had anything to do with the World Series, however, other than being one of the many newspapers to report the results. The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" -- the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."

If that was the "urban" legend, I wonder what the "suburban" legend was?  :D  :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Of course, in Japan, baseball teams are named for their corporate owners, rather than their cities.

For example, the Yomiuri Giants play in Tokyo, but are named after the newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun. ... The Daiei Hawks are named for the Daiei supermarket chain. ... The Kintetsu Buffaloes are named for the Kintetsu Railroad. ... The Nippon Ham Fighters are named for a meat company. ... And the Orix Blue Wave is named for Orix Financial Services.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I always got a chuckle out of the name "Nippon Ham Fighters." Makes me think of a logo of one of those hams like you used to see in Tom & Jerry cartoons, fighting off a pack of thanksgiving diners or something...

Anyone want to do a concept on this? LOL! :D

...and just remember to be safe in the knowledge that while you sleep, the Foo Fighters are out there, ever vigilant in their fight against Foo.  :)

nav-logo.png

mjrbaseball Posted on June 27 2003,15:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was younger, I used to think the team's nickname was the "Ham Fighters" ... not the Fighters owned by Nippon Ham.

I thought so too!  

Go the Japanese baseball website and have a look at each teams website! Apparently the Fighers have two mascot or something.  ???

http://www.npb-bis.com/jp/

I always liked the Giants' mascot because they just took the YG logo and made a character out of it.

...and just remember to be safe in the knowledge that while you sleep, the Foo Fighters are out there, ever vigilant in their fight against Foo.  

I think David Letterman eluded to this a few years back. I keep hearing that on the radio for some strange reason.

I saw, I came, I left.

Go the Japanese baseball website and have a look at each teams website! Apparently the Fighers have two mascot or something. ???

http://www.npb-bis.com/jp/

Two things I found strange and/or interesting...

- Some of the Nippon Ham Fighters main web site elements are in English as opposed to Japanese, and

- Apparently Japanese baseball has a farm system, which I was unaware of.

nav-logo.png

Archived