ISU Redux

muchafraid

Well...quick description...(this is my first post, btw)...I took Iowa State's current logos and recolored them slightly to get rid of the navy blue that I hate, and then designed some new uniforms as well. This is the first thing I've ever done with Illustrator, and I'm quite happy with the results. Anything you guys have to add would be appreciated. Enjoy!

ISU-Logos.jpg

ISU-Home.jpg

ISU-Away.jpg

ISU-Alternate.jpg

Overall I think it is a nice concept, but the 'ISU' in both the primary logo & helmet decal are difficult to see. I would try to make 'ISU' jump out alot more.... (I've never understood what a cardinal and a cyclone have in common though...)

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Sorry man, but they look too much like USC. It needs more of a unique look.

Virginia Tech taught us that using different coloured TV numbers than the main numbering doesn't work well either.

Try using more black (*gasp!*)

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

To answer the question about the relationship between a cardinal and a cyclone, there is quite an interesting story.

Iowa State athletic teams were originally referred to as the Cardinals. In approximately 1895, the Cardinals were playing a football game against a team from Northwestern University in Illinois. During that summer, a series of tornadoes (or as they were then known, cyclones) had ravaged the midwest. The next day, after a convincing win by my beloved team, the local newspaper carried the headline: NORTHWESTERN HIT BY IOWA STATE CYCLONE. The name stuck, and for the next 50 years, we were known simply as the Cyclones. However in 1954 or 55 (I can't remember exactly) the alumni association sponsored a contest to come up with a new mascot that could be made into a costume. And since you "can't stuff a Cyclone," the idea was proposed to make a mascot that referred to our original name of the Cardinals. The mascot was later named Cy. The current incarnation of the logos have turned Cy into a sort of Super-Cardinal, with the amazing ability to turn himself into a sort of swirling menace.

It's a complicated history, but even so, I think our logos are pretty cool.

• 6 months later...
To answer the question about the relationship between a cardinal and a cyclone, there is quite an interesting story.

Iowa State athletic teams were originally referred to as the Cardinals. In approximately 1895, the Cardinals were playing a football game against a team from Northwestern University in Illinois. During that summer, a series of tornadoes (or as they were then known, cyclones) had ravaged the midwest. The next day, after a convincing win by my beloved team, the local newspaper carried the headline: NORTHWESTERN HIT BY IOWA STATE CYCLONE. The name stuck, and for the next 50 years, we were known simply as the Cyclones. However in 1954 or 55 (I can't remember exactly) the alumni association sponsored a contest to come up with a new mascot that could be made into a costume. And since you "can't stuff a Cyclone," the idea was proposed to make a mascot that referred to our original name of the Cardinals. The mascot was later named Cy. The current incarnation of the logos have turned Cy into a sort of Super-Cardinal, with the amazing ability to turn himself into a sort of swirling menace.

Hey brother Cyclone, thanks for posting to this group!

As for the original poster, I'm sorry to hear you don't like the Navy Blue. I've been noticing a third accent color creep into uniforms the last few years and I like the Navy Blue. I would have been satisfied with black as well. The designer ISU commissioned had considered green, ugh!

Iowa State athletic teams were originally referred to as the Cardinals.  In approximately 1895, the Cardinals were playing a football game against a team from Northwestern University in Illinois.  During that summer, a series of tornadoes (or as they were then known, cyclones) had ravaged the midwest.  The next day, after a convincing win by my beloved team, the local newspaper carried the headline: NORTHWESTERN HIT BY IOWA STATE CYCLONE.  The name stuck, and for the next 50 years, we were known simply as the Cyclones.  However in 1954 or 55 (I can't remember exactly) the alumni association sponsored a contest to come up with a new mascot that could be made into a costume.  And since you "can't stuff a Cyclone," the idea was proposed to make a mascot that referred to our original name of the Cardinals.  The mascot was later named Cy.  The current incarnation of the logos have turned Cy into a sort of Super-Cardinal, with the amazing ability to turn himself into a sort of swirling menace. 

Thanks for the info. I had always wondered myself.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

:welcome:

Very nice first concept, but I agree, it is pretty much USC midwest.

But, for future reference, concepts go in the concepts thread.

There wasn't a concepts thread in March, otherwise that's where it would've gone.

Ah, another case of posts being bumped back from the dead again...

<_<

VmWIn6B.png

Archived