Interesting fact about TheCarolina Panthers Logo

CrackTheSky

I have read several posts saying how they don't like the Carolina Panthers logo but the designers were smart and included an interesting element in their design. If you look closely at their logo and then examine a map of the United States you will notice that the Panthers logo is in the shape of North and South Carolina combined. This allows both states to rightfully support the team and it doubles the teams fan base even though they actually reside in Charlotte North Carolina. Hence the name The Carolina Panthers and not the Charlotte or North Carolina Panthers.

On a side note I am a transplanted Long Islander living in NC and was overjoyed when the Jets went back to the Joe Namath era white helmets with the oval Jets logo inside. When you look at that helmet and the uniforms with their double stripes, there is no other team you might confuse them with. The logo and helmet aren't exactly the same as the old ones, they were updated just a little with a darker green and bolder lettering etc. They are a classic look that never needs to be changed again.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Charlotte and have been a Panthers fan since literally day one. I've always heard that the logo was supposed to look like the Carolinas' geographic area but I'm not totally convinced myself. I don't think that statement has ever been made from an official source.

The original post is correct, however, that the team name was choosen as "Carolina" because when Jerry Richardson was pitching the region to the NFL expansion committee he used the idea that even though Charlotte is not a big city by NFL standards, the area within a few hours' drive would provide a fan base of something like 6 million people. So far it seems to have worked as the Panthers have sold out all but a handful of games in their 10 seasons, in a 72,000 seat stadium.

See also: Bobcats

Since when did the Charlotte Bobcats have anything to do with South Carolina? :therock:

Because the team was probably intended for all of the Carolinas anyway?? :therock::therock:

:therock:

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i hate to break this to south carolina, but there is no way to put sc into that logo...it just doesn't fit:

750x750northcarolinam5kw.gif

Of course it does, there not making a map out of the logo. I find it comical you can put up such wonderful visual aids and at the same time can't see what’s right in front of you're face (respect intended). The logo isn't going to be an exact mirror image, but CLEARLY the intent is obvious just look at the lines closer its there as plain as day. North and South Carolina fit nicely into the logo, don't forget it is a logo so it also has to look like a Panther too. Yes there is no question that the shape of the logo does indeed encompass both states

I can see the shape of the logo matching the states. If you were to take that logo that is superimposed on the map and tilt the head down slightly to the right, then it would make a little more sense to everyone I would think. Nice little marketing ploy...subtle yet effective.

Of course you could never make this logo fit the exact outline of the two states. However, If you tilt it a bit, and certainly use your imagination just slightly, you can see how the basic outlines relate. In my opinion, it's a very subtle and succesful attempt to incorporate both North and South Carolina. Plus, it's already a great logo, regardless of whether it perfectly fits the two states.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I see what some of you guys are saying, but unless you hear it through the grapevine that the logo is supposed to be the two states, you're not gonna see it. To me, that's not at all effective. I do like the logo, but it almost seems to me that they designed the logo as it is and any similarity in shape is coincidental.

I was living in NC when the Panthers came into being, and I have heard this same story from a few non-collaborating sources.

If you tilt the cat's face down a little bit, and just look at the outlines of the shapes involved (i.e. get rid of the facial markings on the logo, and the border that splits the 2 states involved) and concede that it isn't going to be a perfect geographical match, you can see it. Sort of.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

personally, i think if there is any resemblence to a state, it's nc:

750x750northcarolinam10nt.gif

if you stretch and rotate and add and subtract from ANY logo enough times you can make it resemble just about anything you want - i'm not saying the designers did or did not intend for the outline of the 2 states to be a vague reference, but if they did, in my eyes, it is exactly that...vague

750x750northcarolinam8mw.gif

jldesigns404eo.png

I think it was meant to be vague.

But it had to have been a factor - otherwise they could have put as much or as little of the body as they wanted. They could have just stopped at the head, but they added a somewhat arbitrary amount of body.

If anything, it looks more like SC alone to me, as it is kinds triangular, like the logo.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I see what some of you guys are saying, but unless you hear it through the grapevine that the logo is supposed to be the two states, you're not gonna see it. To me, that's not at all effective. I do like the logo, but it almost seems to me that they designed the logo as it is and any similarity in shape is coincidental.

It’s not meant to be subliminal advertising, just a way of tying into the Carolina's.

If you turn the silhouette of the states upside down by rotating 180 degrees, you can see it a whole lot better than by tilting the cat over.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived