Houston Texans - Proposed Logos

swisherHOU

It's not just Texans or Californians. I think most people who have lived in any state for a period of time consider themselves residents of that state more than citizens of the US.

I consider myself a New Yorker before an American, and when I was a kid many of the people I knew considered themselves Wisconsinites before anything else.

Actually, I'll go a step further and say that I consider myself a New Yorker in the sense of NYC. I have no identification with the rest of the state (other than my regular pilgrimages to Mecca in Cooperstown), only with my city - the capital of the world. :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps, but having at various times in my life called Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Nevada and now North Carolina home, I can't say that in my own case. If I had to pick one I'd pick Ohio, where I was born, but generally I'm an American first and foremost.

Unless I'm in France. Then I'm from Ontario. :flagcanada:

nav-logo.png

• 11 months later...
Actually, I'll go a step further and say that I consider myself a New Yorker in the sense of NYC. I have no identification with the rest of the state (other than my regular pilgrimages to Mecca in Cooperstown), only with my city - the capital of the world. :P

Typical... :P

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I think it depends on where you're at.

If you're away from your city but in the same state, you probably say the city you are from.

If you're in a different state, you may either say the city or the state you are from.

If you are in a different country, you probably say the country first, then the state, then the city you're from... generally speaking.

I think it depends on where you're at.

If you're away from your city but in the same state, you probably say the city you are from.

If you're in a different state, you may either say the city or the state you are from.

If you are in a different country, you probably say the country first, then the state, then the city you're from... generally speaking.

The test is to ask someone who is away from his home where he's from.

If you're speaking to an American in a foreign country, he will usually answer either "I'm from the States" or "I'm an American."

If you're speaking to an American inside the USA, most people will answer in the form of, "I'm from Wisconsin" or "I'm from Los Angeles" or whatever.

But more frequently than people from any other state, folks from Minnesota and Texas will answer in the form, "I'm a Texan" or "I'm a Minnesotan." Less frequently, but still commonly, you'll also hear "I'm a New Yorker" meaning the city, not the state. For all three groups, you also commonly hear that answer if you ask them where they're from when they're not away from home. You ask a local in Philly where he's from and he'll say, "I live in Bryn Mar." But ask a local in Dallas where he's from and he's quite likely to say, "I'm a Texan." Even if he only recently moved there. It's that kind of place, and people from Minnesota are almost as likely to identify themselves in a like manner.

In fact, people from Texas, Minnesota, and New York City were the only Americans I met when I lived overseas recently who would sometimes identify themselves as Texans, Minnesotans, or New Yorkers instead of Americans when asked where they came from. (Of course, for much of 2003, most non-Texan Americans in Europe seemed to identify themselves as Canadians, but that's another story.)

It's using the name of a resident as a nationality, instead of just saying that they're from wherever they're from, that tells you that people identify strongly with their state or city of origin. People from very few places other than Texas, Minnesota, or New York do so, in my experience.

20082614447.png

i understand completely why the texans' bull has the star in its eye, but i just feel that the star is overused in pro sports. in the nfl alone, the cowboys obviously rock it loud, and the pats and titans utilize stars to a lesser extent.

and i know this has already been discussed and debated, but the bull logo is too similar to the longhorns logo.

and then fc dallas had to go and put a bull in their logo too!

the propsoed titan is awesome by the way.

The three stars in the Titans logo have meaning (see State Flag, Tennessee).

• 2 weeks later...

Entirely by accident I stumbled across the website forVerlander Design. I saw the Texans logo and clicked on it and realized they had designed it (along with the Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals and Seahawks).

Funny how that happens...

All the sudden a Texans (Cowboy) sketch became the Desperados logo.

Fred Gehrke

Archived