The AHL

Dilbert

YES! Signs of life possibly for CINCY!

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3174322

It refers to Utah moving down, any verification of this?

Utah said they would go to either ECHL or CHL level. This is the first Ive heard of San Antonio moving to CHL.

DarthMan, Im with You all the way. Im Cheering for the Phantoms since Chicago knocked out my former Ducks team. This would be great for the Phantoms since Trenton(ECHL affiliate) won the Kelly Cup.

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now, looking to next season (which some would argue, as a Wolves fan, is all I can do at this point,) let's examine the best-case scenario. This would mean no more teams going down the pooper, and new teams for two cities that rightfully deserve them: Cincinnati (because no hockey in Cincy is like no hockey in Hartford - makes me icky just thinking about it) and Orlando (who supported the Solar Bears and got screwed out of the Seals.) And now, the joys of realignment:

West:

Chicago

Peoria

Iowa

Omaha

Milwaukee

Houston

Grand Rapids

North:

Manitoba

Toronto

Hamilton

Rochester

Syracuse

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Atlantic:

Bridgeport

Hartford

Lowell

Manchester

Portland

Providence

Springfield

East:

Albany

Binghamton

Hershey

Norfolk

Philadelphia

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Orlando

That's the best I can come up with. Cincy and GR are interchangeable, but when there's a chance to put Cincy and Cleveland in the same division, why not do it?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like it. The Griffs are more north than we are, but I believe they are more west than we are. I dont like the fact of having an Orlando team. The closest team would be the N. Admirals. That and having Cincy with the Canadian teams I like. I always enjoy it when they come to town. Im quite surprised by the many Bulldogs fans who come down from Hamilton for the game.

If the Panthers and Coyotes were to respectively place their affiliates in Orlando and Cincinnati, I would go with the following alignment:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

New England Division

Bridgeport

Hartford

Lowell

Manchester

Portland

Providence

Springfield

Atlantic Division

Albany

Binghamton

Hershey

Norfolk

Orlando

Philadelphia

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Northern Division

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Grand Rapids

Hamilton

Rochester

Syracuse

Toronto

Midwest Division

Chicago

Houston

Iowa

Manitoba

Milwaukee

Omaha

Peoria

I think you need to keep Manitoba with Toronto and Hamilton.

The only thing that they have in common is that they're Canadian-based clubs. Geographically, Winnipeg is nowhere near as close to Toronto and Hamilton as it is to the likes of Milwaukee, Chicago, etc(Houston is the odd-team-out in that division). Given my geographic alignment of the league, Manitoba goes in the Midwest Division.

Brian, while your alignment makes sense geographically, the AHL wants all of its Canadian teams in the same division. The idea behind that, combined with the heavily unbalanced schedule, is to keep international travel expenses down to a minimum, I believe. Check out the divisional alignments since the IHL absorption and you'll see. Believe me, I'd love to have the craziness that is the Wolves-Moose rivalry 10 times a year. But financial considerations make it otherwise.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Since the AHL is loosing Edmonton, I think they need a new Canadian team(They are down to three and not having four kind of bugs me) where do you think they should put a new Canadian team?

Brian, while your alignment makes sense geographically, the AHL wants all of its Canadian teams in the same division. The idea behind that, combined with the heavily unbalanced schedule, is to keep international travel expenses down to a minimum, I believe. Check out the divisional alignments since the IHL absorption and you'll see. Believe me, I'd love to have the craziness that is the Wolves-Moose rivalry 10 times a year. But financial considerations make it otherwise.

Oh, I'm well aware of what the AHL says is reasoning for their "real life" league alignment. I just see no sense in forcing the three Canadian clubs to be part of the same division when they are obviously so distant from one another. I also question just how much money is saved when the "international travel" savings are offset by the distance which needs to be traveled to games against non-Canadian divisional opponents further East.

Ah, well... it's not my headache. And given the folding/suspending of franchises lately, it is certainly not the AHL's most pressing problem.

I like the idea of all the Canadian teams together but when you put St.John's the Eastern most team of the league in the Western Conference, you need to rethink. That wont happen now.

POST 800! :woot:

I also question just how much money is saved when the "international travel" savings are offset by the distance which needs to be traveled to games against non-Canadian divisional opponents further East.

It's not so much "international travel" that they're saving on, it's that Manitoba can pay for most of their travel in Canadian dollars if they're lumped in with Toronto and Hamilton. Paying to go to the US is only costly because it's paid in US dollars. Include Rochester and Syracuse and you've got two cities that can be reached from Toronto, so they can still pay for most of the travel in the same currency their income is in.

• 2 weeks later...
I also question just how much money is saved when the "international travel" savings are offset by the distance which needs to be traveled to games against non-Canadian divisional opponents further East.

It's not so much "international travel" that they're saving on, it's that Manitoba can pay for most of their travel in Canadian dollars if they're lumped in with Toronto and Hamilton. Paying to go to the US is only costly because it's paid in US dollars. Include Rochester and Syracuse and you've got two cities that can be reached from Toronto, so they can still pay for most of the travel in the same currency their income is in.

Why do they have to pay in US dollars to go to the US?

I've been to the US many times and not once have I ever had to pay in US dollars to get there.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Why do they have to pay in US dollars to go to the US?

I've been to the US many times and not once have I ever had to pay in US dollars to get there.

This is just a wild guess but perhaps the league does all the travel arrangements and since the AHL is based in the US, funds must be paid in US dollars.

Archived