The AHL

Dilbert

Let's see if I have the whole soap opera that is the AHL straight?

LEAVING/DISBANDING/FOLDING/ETC

Worcester IceCats (St. Louis)

Utah Grizzlies (Phoenix)

Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (Anaheim)

Edmonton RoadRunners (Edmonton)

Portland Pirates (Washington)

Hershey Bears (Colorado)

Lowell LockMonsters (Calgary)

St. John's Maple Leafs (Toronto)

NEW TEAMS/AFFILIATES

Peoria Rivermen (St. Louis)

Iowa Stars (Dallas)

Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights (Calgary)

Toronto Marlies (Toronto)

Portland Pirates (Anaheim)

Hershey Bears (Washington)

Lowell LockMonsters (Colorado)

Which currently leaves Phoenix and Edmonton without current AHL affiliates, right?

I wonder if either or both may come back to Worcester. Since there were rumors of Portland's franchise (Capitals) going to Worcester, maybe the city is still seen by the league as a viable destination.

It's very weird that a league with a long and succesful history goes through cities and franchises like rolls of toilet paper. And it's too bad tat without this consistency, the league is not able to promote itself better, relying on the individual teams to market themselves.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it was probably good they left they had become the new StJohns Maple Leafs of traveling costs and lack of teams nearby

Carolina is with Lowell. Colorado has just joined in this threeway relationship.Otherwise all is good.

Signature intentionally left blank

Carolina is with Lowell. Colorado has just joined in this threeway relationship.Otherwise all is good.

I know. Look at my location to the left ;) The team shares a parking lot with residents of my apartment building.

I didn't mention Carolina because they're remaining constant. But I do wonder if there will be other dual-affiliates next season.

whats with al the shared affiliations, they had 30 teams a few months ago

Cheaper to share if you aren't making money.

Heard a rumor that would mean the AHL will lose more. It's not (at least not specifically) a matter of it being cheaper to share, it's a matter of only having demand for 25 AHL teams.

Well, I knew San Antonio was closing up shop when they "leased" all their talent out a few months back. Anyone want to start a pool on the next team to go? Put me down for Cleveland...

Honestly, with the amount of movement and folding that's taking place in this league, board members around here are going to start demanding that every AHL team incorporate a red, white, and blue ball into its logo.

And it's just wonderful to know that the NHL is now starting to kill off hockey at the minor league level, too. If it keeps going down this road (and I see no reason why it won't be,) maybe teams with strong ownership that aren't necessarily dependent on their affiliations to stay alive could break off and form an indie league, which would then become the top-level league in the U.S. and Canada... a total fantasy, I know, but I find myself confronted with the idea that my days of watching pro hockey are numbered, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

You know what sucks the worst for me about this? The fact that if things continue going this way, Bill Wirtz will be responsible (however indirectly) for the demise of my beloved Chicago Wolves. That just makes me want to throw up all over myself.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You know what sucks the worst for me about this? The fact that if things continue going this way, Bill Wirtz will be responsible (however indirectly) for the demise of my beloved Chicago Wolves. That just makes me want to throw up all over myself.

I doubt that will happen. Besides, I think people go to Wolves games because they can actually watch good hockey and to spite Bill Wirtz :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Can one of theese teams forget about shared affiliations. Please come to Cincinnati. Dilbert is getting desperate now.

Edmonton to share with Montreal. I knew they would be crawling back to Hamilton.

Signature intentionally left blank

I couldn't find any news about the Rampage folding up shop, or even anything about Edmonton. www.theahl.com is usually updated with this kind of info. Are these just rumors, or can anyone confirm them?

I mean, besides sportsnet.ca.

I couldn't find any news about the Rampage folding up shop, or even anything about Edmonton. www.theahl.com is usually updated with this kind of info. Are these just rumors, or can anyone confirm them?

I mean, besides sportsnet.ca.

Tsn link included with my Edmonton post.

Neither is official yet as a vote hasn't been taken. That is probably why it hasn't appeared on the AHL site yet.

Road Runners' President Stew MacDonald says, "Unfortunately, timing of the deadline for confirming Road Runner plans for next season could not be coordinated with news from the National Hockey League or Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, so we truly felt this was our only decision. If the NHL restarts some time this fall as hoped, the Road Runners may represent a significant distraction to Edmonton and area hockey fans."

Well, then why did you put your team in Edmonton in the first place, jerk-ass? I can't wait for all of this to blow up in Oilers' ownership's face when there's no NHL yet again this season, and they're left to confront a bunch of pissed off fans who've now had 2 teams taken away from them by one group of people. Doing something like this in one of Canada's hockey hotbeds borders on necessitating a "pitchforks and torches in the street" sort of reaction.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived