The AHL

Dilbert

This list has now been updated!

The AHL will be celebrating its 70th anniversary next year and because there has been so much talk on another thread unrelated to the AHL, here is the AHL for next year

Hartford Wolf Pack-NY Rangers

Lowell Lock Monsters- Carolina Hurricanes/Colorado Avalanche

Manchester Monarchs- Los Angeles Kings

Portland Pirates- unoficially Mighty Ducks of Anaheim(They will still be the Pirates)

Providence Bruins-Boston Bruins

Springfield Falcons- Tampa Bay Lightning

Peoria Rivermen- St.Louis Blues

Albany River Rats- New Jersey Devils

Binghamton Senators- Ottawa Senators

Bridgeport Sound Tigers- NY Islanders

Hershey Bears- Washington Capitals

Norfolk Admirals- Chicago Blackhawks

Philadelphia Phantoms-Philadelphia Flyers

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins- Pittsburgh Penguins

Cleveland Barons- San Jose Sharks

Edmonton Road Runners- Edmonton Oilers

Hamilton Bulldogs- Montreal Canadiens

Manitoba Moose- Vancouver Canucks

Rochester Americans- Buffalo Sabres

Toronto Marlies- Toronto Maple Leafs

Syracuse Crunch- Columbus Blue Jackets

Chicago Wolves- Atlanta Thrashers

Grand Rapids Griffins- Detroit Red Wings

Houston Aeros- Minnesota Wild

Milwaukee Admirals- Nashville Predators

San Antonio Rampage- Florida Panthers

Iowa Stars- Dallas Stars

Omaha AkSarBen Knights- Calgary Flames

Utah Grizzlies and Cincinnati Mighty Ducks have voluntary suspensions for 2005-06. Phoenix has yet to announce an affiliate

Not everything is exactly set in stone. Portlands new affiliation is still unofficial. It has been rumored that New Jersey wants out of Albany, but I dont think that will happen this year. San Jose wants to move Cleveland but they have at least one more year by the lake. San Antonio was rumored to maybe move to Orlando. Utah is for sale and if they dont find one, they may fold. If that happens, Utah has been rumored to put a team in the ECHL, and out of desperation Phoenix may put a team in Cincinnati, however I dont think it will happen. Because Colorado decided to be aholes and signed on to be a dual affiliate with Lowell and Carolina, The AHL will only be able to run 29 teams next year instead of the 30 they wanted, ruining almost any chance that Cincinnati would have a team. Ive also heard that the AHL is not happy with that situation.

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was rumored before that Colorado was going to have the Eagles jump from the CHL to AHL but play where they currently play in Loveland, Colorado, but it is not happening now that the Avs are with Lowell.

I would believe they are going to realign the league, and here is my proposed plan for the AHL. Of course, this is pending to all of the rumors being false.

UPDATE: With Cincy and Utah biting the dust, I think the format should change to equal out the league. I placed Syracuse in the Eastern Division of the Western Conference because it's western most city out of the Eastern Conference teams.

Western Conference

Western Division

-San Antonio Rampage

-Houston Aeros

-Manitoba Moose

-Edmonton Road Runners

-Iowa Stars

-Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights

-Peoria Rivermen

Eastern Division

-Chicago Wolves

-Milwaukee Admirals

-Cleveland Barons

-Toronto Marlies

-Grand Rapids Griffins

-Hamilton Bulldogs

-Rochester Americans

Eastern Conference

Northern Division

-Manchester Monarchs

-Springfield Falcons

-Portland Pirates

-Providence Bruins

-Lowell Lock Monsters

-Albany River Rats

-Syracuse Crunch

Southern Division

-Binghamton Senators

-Hershey Bears

-Norfolk Admirals

-Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

-Philadelphia Phantoms

-Bridgeport Sound Tigers

-Hartford Wolf Pack

The rumors including Orlando appear to be going down like this, if at all: Florida and Phoenix of the NHL would "trade" affiliates, with Phoenix taking San Antonio and Florida taking Utah. Florida would then move Utah to Orlando. Now, I do not know the ownership situation of either franchise, or the years left on current agreements, but multiple things I have read have this as the most likely scenario for Orlando joining the league.

Switch Lowell and Hartford and it looks perfect

Why switch Lowell and Hartford? Hartford, Providence and Springfield are much more southern than Lowell, and Manchester's biggest rival is Lowell.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Its yet to be announced but most definetly Anaheim will be in Portland. Unless some deal(which I doubt will happen) with Utah or San Antonio could happen, Cincinnati will be dark for 2005 and might return in 2006 as the new affiliate for Columbus. The BlueJackets contract with Syracuse ends at the end of next season. So most likely for the first time since the 1989-90 hockey season Cincinnati will be without hockey. It also means Lexington and Louisville hockey fans will have to go further for hockey! Surprisingly with the folding of the Louisville Panthers and Kentucky Thoroughblades AHL franchises and the Lexington Men O' War ECHL teams the Cincy Ducks often got fans from the Kentucky cities. Alot of the time they cheered against us.

I dont like it but if I have to College hockey might be my only choice. I dont like college hockey because its just not as hard hitting and fun as professional hockey is. I might have to cheer for Miami(OH) or Ohio State.

That sucks about Cincy. I have always been a Ducks fan since they were affiliates of my hometown Huntington Blizzard a few years ago. I can't imagine Cincy without hockey.

I hope Orlando is able to land that team though. It'd be great to have AHL hockey here. (Even if they are the Panther's affiliate. Boo. Go Bolts!)

I was always a fan of the IHL Orlando Solar Bears . The Bears and Cyclones were always fun to watch together. They really hated each other. I wouldnt mind seeing that name back in Orlando.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3163780

Cincinnati Mighty Ducks have been granted a voluntary suspension due to lack of NHL affiliate. Utah has been granted a voluntary suspension as well.

I dont see why Cincinnati had to go when Utah went as well. Phoenix could have gone to Cincinnati. Lack of NHL affiliation my butt! :cursing:

Ive also read in an article that the new Peoria Rivermen are changing their colors to reflect their affiliation with St.Louis. Red is now gone from their logo.

So who's Phoenix going to pair up with? Perhaps Worcester is still going to be in the fold? Their website no longer works btw.

Actually, Phoenix will probably go without an AHL affiliate and link up with the expansion Phoenix Roadrunners of the ECHL. But who knows?

Well, given the fact that the AHL will be operating as a 28-team circuit in 2005-2006, without franchises in either Cincinnati or Salt Lake City, allow me to suggest the following alignment (based purely upon geography):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

New England Division

Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Hartford Wolf Pack

Lowell Lock Monsters

Manchester Monarchs

Portland Pirates

Providence Bruins

Springfield Falcons

Mid-Atlantic Division

Albany River Rats

Binghamton Senators