Halifax Moose QMJHL concept

Roger Clemente

The Halifax Mooseheads have always troubled me, primarily because their entire identity is based around the incorrect part of their name. Their slogan is "This is Moose Country!" and their primary chant is "Go Moose Go" and their nickname is "the Herd". One problem though...the noun in their name is HEADS, not Moose! No team in any of the major leagues uses the adjective of the team name as a short from name. Nobody calls the Leafs "the Maple" or the Wings "the Red" or the Ducks "the Mighty".

The easiest way they can solve this problem is to just drop the name Heads from their name.

However IMO, their logo and jerseys still suck. I decided to try and fix this by making my own jerseys and logo:

HalifaxMoose-001.gif

The colors are Wild green, Wild wheat, Coyotes brick and black. The moose itself uses Oilers copper as a primary color, but that color is not on the jerseys themselves.

The logo itself is not as detailed as I would like it to be. I might post it in the Requests forum and see if someone wants to give it a vectorization and maybe some touch ups. The outline is as I want it, but I would like the inside detail a little better. But for now, it gets the job done as far as what I'm looking for.

Comments welcome.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

uh........uh.........uh..........ugly. I hate cream coloured jersey's. Don't really like the moose logo either, but you were working with a bad nickname so I'll give you props for that

Roger-

I like these. The only thing that needs work is the "H." It needs serifs or a different shape. I like the full-on moose better than Manitoba's moose head. I like the cream colored shirt- kind of reminds you of the old Leaf sweater color from the '40s and '50s when the sweaters were actually wool.

Does the name "Mooseheads" have any connection with Moosehead beer?

Go Leafs Go!- someday. :flagcanada:

Does the name "Mooseheads" have any connection with Moosehead beer?

The team was founded by Harold MacKay - at the time, a regional sales manager for Moosehead Breweries. He convinced Moosehead Breweries President and CEO Derek Oland to financially back the franchise... which the brewery did for nine seasons (1994-95 through 2002-03).

I like the jerseys and the colour scheme, but I'm not fond of the logo. The big H looks out of place, and the moose looks a bit awkward. (To be fair, though, it's tough to see what it looks like on the jerseys, since it's a small view.) The Wild numbers also don't seem to work with the logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

there's too many things going on with this one, for my tastes...

the creme jerseys are a really nasty color of creme, imo... it's almost too yellowy-green.

i think it really needs something bright in there. the dark green, dark red, and black is a little overpoweringly dark, especially since creme is basically a form of dark white. it just looks dark and dirty to me.

my other big complaint is that the wild's furry numbers look completely out of place on such a subtle simple uniform... i've always hated the wild's furry numbers, as i think it looks very tacky.

i like what you were going for with this concept, but i just don't think you've got it right yet. keep working on this one, and you'll make it great... like i said, it's got potential.

also, for the record, moosehead is one of my favorite beers... it's great

The Halifax Mooseheads have always troubled me, primarily because their entire identity is based around the incorrect part of their name. Their slogan is "This is Moose Country!" and their primary chant is "Go Moose Go" and their nickname is "the Herd". One problem though...the noun in their name is HEADS, not Moose! No team in any of the major leagues uses the adjective of the team name as a short from name. Nobody calls the Leafs "the Maple" or the Wings "the Red" or the Ducks "the Mighty".

We Iowans often refer to the Hawkeyes as the Hawks. So we too violate your prescribed nickname grammar.

This is... Hmm... Parts of me like it, and parts of me aren't so sure...

I like the black and the green sweaters, but the wheat/cream/ecru/oatmeal sweater doesn't quite do it for me. Of course, on my monitor, it has a greenish tinge and that could be the problem.

While the font selection is slowly growing on me, I wonder how the Senators font might work on this?

But you know, after all that critique, I know I'm gonna love these. I'd wear one.

As for the whole Moosehead brewery thing, with them no longer being a financial backer, why not rename the team the Halifax Herd? Hmm?

Sign me, "Big Fan of the Portland WHL franchise. GO WINTER GO!" :P

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I'm gonna bump this back onto the front page, so Roger gets some pub for putting together a solid design.

And so that my bump has some semblance of substance, I'll refute Cole's claim about the Wild numbers. They look good... on the Wild jerseys. They fit in with the logo very well. But, I don't think they'd look good for too many other applications.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived