Golden Jr. Rockets (KIJHL) announce changes

wurldwyde

A couple months ago, the Golden Junior Rockets, a Junior B hockey team out of Golden, British Columbia, held a contest to change their name and logo. The rockets had been a last-place team for the past 14 years, and with new management on board, they decided a name change and new business practices would help revitalize the team.

The first stage of the contest involved the name. Of 70 entrants, the name "Xtreme" was chosen. None of my ideas or concepts went with the direction the team wanted to go, but they asked me if I would draw up some concepts for the "Xtreme" name. After about 4 or 5 revisions, the finalists were put to a vote last Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, they sent me an e-mail stating that I had won, and my logo would be in place for next season. :)

Their original plans called for a silver/black/white colour scheme, and using the LA Kings old black/silver/white jerseys, which I though worked best. After they decided they didn't like that color scheme afterall, I sent in a number of color varations, and they finally settled on the black/gold/white of the Pittsburgh Penguins (they wanted to be able to use an existing NHL jersey template to keep design costs down.)

Anyways, here's the designs they settled on. While it may not be my finest work (you have to accomodate the client as well), it's probably my proudest moment in the world of logo design, as someone actually thought enough of my work to outfit their team with it. Let me know what you guys think of it. :)

The old logo:

GoldenJrRockets.GIF

The new logo:

extreme_logo.jpg

Congratulations wurldwyde!

Really nice concept and execution you've come up with for the team. I appreciate your mentioning having to work with the client - with your flexibility and professional approach, I imagine this will only be the first in a long line of jobs.

Terrific news! Enjoy the moment.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

That is killer! It's got a lot going on, yet it's not busy. Hard to pull something like that off, but you did it here.

The secondary looks like it would be read "Xtreme Golden". Accommodating the French Canadian fans?

Back-to-BackΒ Fatal FortyΒ Champion 2015 & 2016

While I can't say that I was thrilled when I heard what they'd chosen for the team's new name (Xtreme? They've got be joking! They're not? Oh... man.), I've got to admit that you did an outstanding job with the logo package.

Terrific job! Here's hoping that it leads to more work for you in the future.

That is killer! It's got a lot going on, yet it's not busy. Hard to pull something like that off, but you did it here.

The secondary looks like it would be read "Xtreme Golden". Accommodating the French Canadian fans?

Actually, a good chunk of the population in Golden speak Russian. ;)

Congratulations!

Like JP said, hard to work with a name like that, but you pulled it off nicely.

With a name like 'Golden', how could they have considered any NHL template but that one? :D

Good job. This is a very nice logo, especially considering they chose what I think is a pretty bad name.

My thoughts exactly. Can't wait to see those jerseys get pounded in the fall when the Xtreme come to Fernie to face the Ghostriders. :D

Wurldwyde, are you in Golden? I'm a reporter with the Fernie paper, and I'd like to maybe interview you and do a story on Golden's new threads. I'll run it past my editor on Friday, but can you PM me in the meantime with contact info?

here is the old style jersey worn from 2000-2003

its a NY Ranger clone

Those look better than what I saw them in last year ... Dallas Stars clones in purple and blue. :blink:

Archived