derivitive minor league logos

Tom Reing

I like the Moncton Hawks logo in 87 when they were a farm team of the Winnipeg Jets. It followed the basic design of Winnipeg but was totally unique. I also liked the Halifax citadels Jerseys where instead of Fluer-delis they blossums I think.

Before they became the Muckdogs, Batavia (NY-P League- short season A) used the Phillies "P" with another semi-circle to make a "B." And when the Syracuse Chiefs joined the Blue Jays they wore Toronto-style uniforms with a stylized Chief head logo where the Blue Jay would have been. And in the '50s the Buffalo Bisons continued to wear a variation of the Detroit Tigers uniforms subbing an Old English "B" for the "D" and the script "Buffalo" instead of "Detroit." They continued to wear this style long after they parted company with the Bengals. These are still my all-time favorite Bison uniforms.

Don't forget the Providence Bruins hub-P takeoff on Boston's logo. This team SHOULD be called the Providence Reds- one of the AHL's all-time great nicknames. :D:rolleyes::blink:

I liked the Battle Creek Yankees, as long as they lasted.  Much better than the Staten Island Yankees, who didn't even bother with an "SI" cap.  :mad:

dont they have the yankees "NY" on the left sleave?

Nope, they wear the Yankees patch on their sleeve:

134.jpeg

Here's the cap:

296.jpeg

That's the best they could do? Their wordmark?

ur right. that IS lame. they could do much better.

the I-Cubs, basically they have a very derivative look, yet they somehow avoid completely ripping off the Cubs. the main logo is the regular Cubs logo with Iowa scribbled over it, the secondary logo is the walking cub's head inside the C (again with the scribble Iowa) and their home jerseys have the Cuba script on front (at one time they had sleeveless versions of the Cubs homes).

and then there's the Daytona Cubbies, who derive their uniforms from the big Cubs moreso than their logo (a good way to put it is Jeff Gordon in ursine form). the homes are basically the same and the roads are gray, stripe-less versions.

even though it technically doesn't count here, I love the Brooklyn Cyclones' hat :notworthy:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

134.jpeg

296.jpeg

What's so bad about the S.I. Yankees logo? When I think of the Yankees, the first thing that comes to mind is the NY logo. But these aren't the New York Yankees, they're the Staten Island Yankees. An interlocking S-I logo would look like a dollar sign. Again, more appropriate for the team run by George.

S.I. keeps the Yankees script (the nice one from the jackets, not the thinner logo script) and put "Staten Island" in the tail. No, it's not that creative, but it serves its purpose well. Similar enough in uniform and logo to associate it with the parent club, but just different enough to not confuse the two. Teams don't need to go overboard with wild imagery to be effective.

Of course, this is all coming from a Red Sox fan, so the team could wear orange felon jumpsuits and it wouldn't bring about any more apathy from me.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

134.jpeg

296.jpeg

What's so bad about the S.I. Yankees logo? When I think of the Yankees, the first thing that comes to mind is the NY logo. But these aren't the New York Yankees, they're the Staten Island Yankees. An interlocking S-I logo would look like a dollar sign. Again, more appropriate for the team run by George.

S.I. keeps the Yankees script (the nice one from the jackets, not the thinner logo script) and put "Staten Island" in the tail. No, it's not that creative, but it serves its purpose well. Similar enough in uniform and logo to associate it with the parent club, but just different enough to not confuse the two. Teams don't need to go overboard with wild imagery to be effective.

Of course, this is all coming from a Red Sox fan, so the team could wear orange felon jumpsuits and it wouldn't bring about any more apathy from me.

I don't have a problem with the logo, but it is completely inappropriate to put it on a cap. There's a reason most teams use one or two letters and not their whole names.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Or the hat between the letters S and I?

That may be OK (keep the slanted bat/hat, just with the s and i on the sides.)

The hat only wouldn't look good imo. I don't care for non-letter logos as hat logos (in most, not all cases.) An exception would be the Orioles bird, the old Blue Jays, and maybe the Expos (even though technically it was letters.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes hats, mostly because the name is so crazy.

P0080834.jpg

Home

P0081222.jpg

Alt

I think that might be the only official game-worn 59Fifty to have a streak on the brim.

I know it's not from the Majors, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that for me.

I love the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes hats, mostly because the name is so crazy.

P0080834.jpg

Home

P0081222.jpg

Alt

I think that might be the only official game-worn 59Fifty to have a streak on the brim.

I know it's not from the Majors, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that for me.

How is that derivitave?

there's an old syracuse chiefs logo (i'm thinking 1930's?) that was just a white, old english style S on a black cap. i can't find a picutre anywhere, but i know i've seen it. possibly at applebees (of all places) in north syracuse. that's my favorite all time minor league logo.

as for the topic at hand, ya gotta love the rochester flower-city logo. even though most people don't understand it.

Yes Rochester does have real charm. Maybe I'll start a seperate topic about old school minor league logos. I actually really like the Springfield Indians Logo where the head is 10 times the size of the body or an old --College I think--Logo where they were the fighting Scots and all they did was put a kilt on the Notre Dame character!

Archived