Making Concepts Real

Bouj

Having seen all the excellent concepts here, I was just wondering if anyone had gone to the trouble of having one of their concepts made up. I remember seeing a thread about someone making up a football jersey from their concept, but I don't remember seeing anyone make mention of a baseball concept made real.

I have been working on a baseball jersey set for my alma mater (a small DII school in South Texas). I liked my alternate and throwback jersey concepts enough to get them made up. I am working on improving my home, away, and BP jersey designs before deciding if I want those made up too. My only problem with all this is that I wonder how others feel about seeing these jerseys that might as well be just be "fashion" jerseys.

Mainly I'm asking because I wonder if anyone going around wearing their own custom jersey designs. Personally, I love the designs I came up with, but of course I would, they're mine!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I have been working on a baseball jersey set for my alma mater (a small DII school in South Texas). I liked my alternate and throwback jersey concepts enough to get them made up.

How did you get them made? I'd love to have a jersey made for my fantasy baseball team, but I've had no luck finding a business that will do just one (or a second) jersey with a custom script.

20082614447.png

I think NY Seahawk had hockey jerseys made up. They looked pretty nice IIRC.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One year for fantasy football, I had a team called the Alpharetta Omegas. As the Alpha/Omega is an obvious religious reference, I figured a style-ized version of the logo would look graet on a polo-style shirt and corresponding ball cap. I still have the duds and they still look good. Here is the helmet I designed:

alphaomegas.gif

On the printing, I had the word parts "ALPHA" and "RETTA" in arched script separated by the top point of the logo, and the "OMEGAS" centered below the logo. It was really quite ingenious. B)B)B)

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I believe you can get custom hockey and football jerseys made up at fsgear.net, and custom football helmets are doable, but I can't remember the site I saw them at. Baseball's a little trickier; I haven't yet found a site where you can get just one cap or jersey made up.

I got them made at 2 different times:

The Throwback - I had a real basic design for something that looked straight out of the late '60's. Eastbay was willing to make a single custom jersey through their team sales page. You have to do it over the phone. I took it to an embroidery shop to get the school logo stitched on one sleeve, and then I added a Texas flag patch on the other sleeve. I think it ended up costing (with the work I had to put into it with the embroidery and patch) about $90. I bought one of their lighter-weight Majestic baseball jerseys (it's the jersey they make replicas with).

The Alternates - I contacted Uniforms Express about getting a single custom jersey made. Their in California, and they have all their prices posted on their website. The cool thing is that they do custom graphics (for a one-time setup fee). I sent them my designs and they worked up a quote. It took about a month to get them. The jerseys ended up costing about $90 each (without the setup fee of $40), and the jersey is a pretty heavy-duty double-knit (as thick as Majestic game jerseys).

I plan on going with Uniforms Express for the other ideas. I think it'll be about $90 each for the home and road design, and then maybe $75 for the batting jersey. They also sell custom jackets (like the Majestic dugout jackets and the old Starter jackets that pitchers used to wear in the early 90's), but I'm not sure if I am gonna make up a jacket or not.

I want to share the designs to get feedback, but I drew them by hand. I'll work on getting pics or graphics made. I want to see what everyone thinks. I like them, but it's a pretty good-sized investment for 6 jerseys (home, road, home alt, road alt, BP, and throwback) that are pretty much novelties that never existed before I thought them up.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I believe you can get custom hockey and football jerseys made up at fsgear.net, and custom football helmets are doable, but I can't remember the site I saw them at. Baseball's a little trickier; I haven't yet found a site where you can get just one cap or jersey made up.

Lids will make a custom cap, but it's more like a Twins Enterprise Franchise cap (S-M-L-XL, not real sizes). Haven't seen anyone that make a lone wool cap online. If you really want to spend the money, you could take a blank wool cap (like New Era: not too expensive, I think they sell them blank), and go to a local embroidery shop. Most of those places can take a custom design and digitize it so the machien can stitch it. The only catch is that it could cost $50-$150 just to digitize the design, based on the thread count. Then you'd get charged for the actual stitching, with is charged by thread count and # of colors.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

since getting a custom job's a bit too rich for my blood right now, I've been trying to take the poor man's route: getting some fabric, pullin out my $30 sewing machine :D , and making jerseys that I either:

1-can't find anymore (ex. 94 Astros, Orlando Thunder, IA Barnstormers)

2-can't find in the States(ex. Essendon, Rhein Fire)

3-can't find in my size (ex. Arsenal, soccer shirts in general)

4-have created as a concept (ex. Virginia Tech, NY Americans, Cubs)

5-don't want to pay $70 for (ex. almost everything :hockeysmiley: ).

usually, 2 and 3 go hand in hand-I usually wear XXL or XXXL, and I found out the hard way that XXL in Europe is very different from XXL in America. Since I merely wanna rock em around town, I only need a wearable fabric (e.g. cotton material)

unfortunately, I haven't been very successful so far-a couple weeks ago, I finished my Adelaide Crows home jumper (and I tell ya what, making that barberpole striping is a mother. it's worth it when done right, though), but I screwed up on the armholes-they were way too small for my big guns to fit through :D

and just about an hour or two ago, I finished my Fremantle Dockers 1995-97 away, and I got the armholes right this time. Shoot, I even got the Anchor right. Problem was, this time I made the neck way too wide (basically, it was a neck fit for a sundress.), and things were a bit uneven to boot.

nevertheless, I shall try again-I know I'm almost there, where I can make one of these things with no hitches. I have the technology, and I know where to go to get what I need...heck, I even know where to get printable fabric ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I want to share the designs to get feedback, but I drew them by hand. I'll work on getting pics or graphics made. I want to see what everyone thinks. I like them, but it's a pretty good-sized investment for 6 jerseys (home, road, home alt, road alt, BP, and throwback) that are pretty much novelties that never existed before I thought them up.

please do, bouj. as they say, creating and sharing with the world...it's a beautiful thing ;) hell, I plan on making a powder blue Tennessee football jersey (yeah fellas, I STILL refuse to let that die :P )...heck, I'd be the only fella in at least my city with one :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

A while the owner of a fantasy baseball league I did a concept for commissioned the design to be painted onto a MacFarlane figure. The name of the team was Chicago Fire, if Hobogrish is still around he should be able to put up the address where pics of the figure reside as I think it was on his webspace.

Off topic - Discrim, I live in Australia, if you're chasing any AFL gear hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

Archived