Is this really a good idea?

Bleujayone

And so the new Lonie Glieberman Era has kicked off with a questionable promotion at best. I have a bad feeling about this one. One game would be bad enough, but EVERY home game? You don't have to be a fortune teller to predict this is going get out of hand.

"Renegades game day experience to involve south side Mardi Gras style party beginning on Canada Day"

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Renegades Football Club announced the launch Mardi Gras Madness in the south side upper deck at Frank Clair Stadium for home games this season at a special jersey unveiling ceremony in downtown Ottawa Wednesday evening.

Beginning with Friday's Canada Day showdown against Montreal, female fans will get a chance to win $1,000 at each game. The announcement was made two nights before the Renegades home opener by team president Lonie Glieberman, who said he believes the latest promotion will more of a festive feel to the park.

"We want to make the stadium and enjoyable place to be and this will help make it a festive, fun environment for a key demographic of our fan base," said Glieberman. "We hope it will add to the atmosphere and that people will enjoy themselves.

"We also do know that some of our younger supporters and families may now not want to attend the game in upper region of the south section. We are aware that there may be those who took advantage of our successful $99 season ticket pass sale, purchasing tickets in the top deck behind our sidelines, and are now not interested in the Mardi Gras Madness promotion. So we are also opening and allowing access to nearly 3,000 additional north side seats in sections A, H and J for our loyal and dedicated fans to enjoy the game in a more family-friendly area of the park," added Glieberman.

The Mardi Gras style event will involve male fans being provided different colour beads to wear for each Ottawa contest played at home. The female fan collecting the most bead necklaces at the end of the day will win the $1,000 cash prize. The Mardi Gras promotion will ONLY be occurring in the upper deck of the south side - notorious for being the rowdy are of the stadium.

In New Orleans, if women want to collect beads, flashing themselves is some of the tamer behavior, somehow I don't think guys are going to give women beads for having the biggest cheer. The excuse seems to be that this section of fans are rowdy anyway, but that would be like giving the bleachers at Fenway free beer just so everyone else can watch more drunken fights. Encouraged bad behavior among the people in the stands just seems to be poor team management. I would say the person who came up with this idea should be fired, but then I'd bet Glieberman was the one who came up with it.

I remember cheerleaders in the XFL. Their outfits and moves were a bit sleazy and many people complained that it was one of the many things that took away from the overall game experience. I wonder how many people might want to stay home instead of bringing their kids to something like this. I would think this would drive away the fan base, not strengthen it. Ottawa is hurting enough for fans as it is.

There was a wet T-shirt contest in Toronto that was put down by the league a few seasons back for being both tasteless and not being very sports or family oriented. I cannot imagine promoting this at a football game would be any better.

Bottom line is that if you're going to a football game to see topless women, you're in the wrong place, AND you're paying too much money.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Are you using "biggest cheer" as a euphemism? I'd give beads for a nice set of "cheers"... :P

In all seriousness, this is absolutely a recipe for disaster. And wouldn't the north-side seats be facing directly into the south-side section, where all the topless (or more) mayhem will be going on, right in front of the kids' eyes? Oh boy, this could be interesting.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

i can see it now- some dad walks past stares intently- turns back to his steaming wife and says it sure is a bit nipply I MEAN nippy heh heh heh yup hey kids uh lets go get a soda

Your Gliebermans at work, I hate to say I told you so...

I hope it doesn't blow up to badly--

I wonder how many sets of beads Lonie will keep for himself?

Hmmm.....

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The more I read about this guy, the I think he aspires to be Vince McMahon, and last I checked, he didn't do that great with football either. CFL commissioner Tom Wright will be at this game, and I'm wondering if he isn't already regretting being here. I guess we'll know by the end of this evening.

Madness Rules On Eve of Game

Mardi Gras promotion nearly cancelled

Matthew Sekeres: The Ottawa Citizen July 1, 2005 :flagcanada:

Ottawa Renegades president Lonie Glieberman has some female friends in town. They are from Michigan and they have been hired to perform in tonight's halftime act. All three are blonde, beautiful and, for dramatic purposes, Finnish princesses. All three attend Finlandia University in Hancock -- or "F-U" as they call it -- where the motto is: "Potential is often a matter of environment."

The same might be said for football in Ottawa.

Yesterday, as the Renegades prepared for their home opener against the Montreal Alouettes and the Mardi Gras Madness promotion in the south-side upper-deck stands, Glieberman was asked to demonstrate a harmless bead exchange and tried to recruit some regal help. (In New Orleans, women typically flash their breasts in order to collect beads.)

"We don't want to be associated with that Mardi Gras thing," one princess said. "It's slutty," another quipped. When Glieberman told them such talk was "blatant insubordination" in front of reporters, one responded: "What about the CFL team for Finland?" "Yeah, Lonie," another said. "What happened to that promise?"

The princesses are here bearing traditional gifts -- not beneath their shirts -- for an in-game presentation. When they realized their exchanges with Lonie would likely end up in newspapers, they became concerned and wouldn't give their real names, identifying themselves only as Princesses Anti, Isa and Anya.

CFL commissioner Tom Wright is in town, and at one point yesterday the Mardi Gras promotion was nearly cancelled because of league office concerns. As of last night, it was back on, but it appeared to be on life support.

When told the stunt probably furthered his frat-boy image, Glieberman said, "That's probably accurate, but, at the same time, we're trying to attract a younger demographic."

Young people have contributed largely to the Alouettes' resurrection. So-called "lost generations" of a mostly male CFL fan base need rebuilding, and the possibility of meeting women is "a way of getting them back into the stadium," Glieberman said.

Those offended by the promotion will be allowed to move to the north-side stands, and there will be extra security in the upper deck to ask any flashers to leave. Glieberman said bracelets, buttons, pins, stickers and other less-loaded items wouldn't be as good logistical fits as beads.

"There's no excuse why this stuff isn't done and it's a fair criticism," Glieberman said.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived