Estrada Explotion

paynomind

MIAMI ? Two Braves could face suspensions after a heated argument in Thursday night's rain-delayed series finale against the Marlins at Dolphins Stadium.

Catcher Johnny Estrada and injured pitcher Mike Hampton were ejected along with manager Bobby Cox in the first inning, when tempers flared over an apparent exchange of words between Estrada and home-plate umpire Doug Eddings.

The game didn't start until 9:51 p.m., following a rain delay of 2 hours, 46 minutes. And before the first inning was through, emotions boiled over.

Marlins catcher Paul Lo Duca was batting with two out in the first inning and three Florida runs already in when the incident occurred. Lo Duca had called time out and stepped out of the batter's box for a moment.

TV replays appeared to show Estrada turning his head slightly and speaking to Eddings while in his catcher's crouch.

As Lo Duca was stepping back into the box, Estrada sprang up and wheeled around toward Eddings, dropping his mitt and going face-to-face with the umpire, who immediately ejected him.

Cox ran out of the dugout and got between Estrada and Eddings, as the furious catcher continued shouting at the umpire. Cox picked up the argument, threw his cap and was tossed from the game by Eddings.

As Cox argued, hitting coach Terry Pendleton held back Estrada and tried to calm him. Estrada continued shouting from across the field and was caught by TV cameras flipping his middle finger at Eddings from the dugout.

Eddings apparently heard Hampton say something from the dugout, pointed toward him and told the pitcher he was ejected. Hampton is on the disabled list, and players on the DL face suspensions for arguing with umpires.

Dodgers closer Eric Gagne was suspended two games earlier this season for arguing from the dugout while on the DL. Since Hampton is a starter, he could face a five-game suspension to assure he'd miss a turn.

Hampton, who has pitched only once in six weeks because of forearm tightness, is expected to be activated shortly after the All-Star break.

Estrada could be suspended for his heated confrontation with Eddings, based on other similar incidents in baseball.

Most recently, Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield was handed a two-game suspension after throwing his helmet and arguing aggressively with an umpire after being called out on a play at first base in Sunday's game with the Mets.

Cox was ejected for the second time this season and 115th time in his career, easily the most among active managers and unofficially the third-highest total in history, 16 behind all-time leader John McGraw and six behind Leo Durocher.

I was watching the game, and it was amazing.

Estrada began to walk off after Colon threw strike three, but the Ump called ball. So Estrada stopped, threw the ball back to the pitcher, and could be heard, (Since the stadium was mostly empty due to the rain delay) saying, "Come on, ump, get the call right." (or something to that effect. I can go back and watch the tape)

As they began to set up for the next pitch, you hear a voice that the announcers attributed to the Marlin's dugout, "Don't let him upstage you, ump"

They both crouched, and about the time Estrada would be giving the pitch signals, you see the Umps head bob, like he was talking, then Estrada jumped up, turned around and said "F____CK YOU!" Loud as hell. He chest bumped the ump, who tossed him out, then turned away form him and walked towards first a few steps.

Reading lips, Estrada seemed to be saying, "say that to my face... don?t walk away from me, say it to my face" Terry Pendleton was out there quick to pull Estrada away, and Bobby Cox laid into the ump.

Again reading lips, Bobby said to him, "This is Bull S__, this is f__king bull s___"

Somehow Hampton got tossed too.

My point is... WTF did the ump say? It couldn?t have been anything related to the play, it must have been personal. I hope it comes out what was said in the press conference. I think this was 100% the umps fault, and HE should be suspended, not Estrada.

I'm tired of the umps having no code, no responsibility. There is no way for an ump to get throw out for losing his temper, which I think happened here.

I wanna know what he called Estrada. Maybe a racial slur, maybe something impeaching the fidelity of his mother or wife.

The world will probably never know.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

More info, from another AP source:

The only hit Beckett allowed was a two-out, fifth-inning single by McCann -- in the game because starter Johnny Estrada, manager Bobby Cox and injured left-hander Mike Hampton were ejected in the first inning for arguing with plate umpire Doug Eddings.

"He made some inappropriate comments towards me. That's why he was ejected," Eddings said, referring to Estrada.

Estrada said he was upset with Eddings' strike zone, and he appeared to bump the umpire after he was ejected. He also made an obscene gesture in Eddings' direction.

So, after waiting through a 2-hour, 46-minute delay to start the game, the trio returned to the clubhouse for another couple of hours waiting for the game to end.

Both Cox and Estrada insisted Eddings escalated the argument with coarse language.

"At one point, I said, 'Why are you yelling at me?"' Estrada said. "I don't think it's right, he can say what he wants and I can't."

Said Cox, referring to Eddings: "He did all the yelling and he did a real bad thing."

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The only hit Beckett allowed was a two-out, fifth-inning single by McCann -- in the game because starter Johnny Estrada, manager Bobby Cox and injured left-hander Mike Hampton were ejected in the first inning for arguing with plate umpire Doug Eddings.

"He made some inappropriate comments towards me. That's why he was ejected," Eddings said, referring to Estrada.

Estrada said he was upset with Eddings' strike zone, and he appeared to bump the umpire after he was ejected. He also made an obscene gesture in Eddings' direction.

So, after waiting through a 2-hour, 46-minute delay to start the game, the trio returned to the clubhouse for another couple of hours waiting for the game to end.

Both Cox and Estrada insisted Eddings escalated the argument with coarse language.

"At one point, I said, 'Why are you yelling at me?"' Estrada said. "I don't think it's right, he can say what he wants and I can't."

Said Cox, referring to Eddings: "He did all the yelling and he did a real bad thing."

If this is the case than Estrada deserved what he got. Players cannot mouth off to an umpire. Even if Estrada thought the ump blew the strike three call earlier, it's on him to concentrate on calling pitches and not worry about the ump.

I hope Estrada gets a good, lengthy suspension.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

as it goes-

Fable has it the Satan challenged Saint Peter to a baseball game.

Saint Peter laughed. "Are you kidding? I've got Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, and a host of all time greats. Who have you got?"

Satan snickered "The Umpires."

and thats how it goes. estrada will be suspended but they should find out what this ump said because it looks like he did something wrong

If a player starts bitching about the calls in the first inning, chances are he will not be around for the end of the game. It makes for a very long and frustrating game for both player and umpire (compounded with a 2+ hour rain delay, it's not a situation anyone would want to be in).

Everyone complains about the umpires' calls. You try to get in there with balls coming at you 90+ mph and judge if it's a ball or a strike. If you blink, you might even miss the swing. And if the catcher is big or doesn't crouch down all the way, you can't see the low and away corner of the strike zone.

Players and coaches have the right to be dissatisfied about a judgement call. And they can express themselves within reason, as long as it's nt disrespectful. If it continues, I tell them "no more" or "enough". That's the warning. They keep going, they'll keep going to the clubhouse.

I had a coach complain to me about calls that happened in the top of the first inning. I told him not to say anything else about my judgment call (out vs. safe, etc.). I warned him if he continued to complain about the call, he'd be watching the game from the parking lot.

He continued. I tossed him. In between the top and bottom halves of the first inning. Earliest ejection for me ever.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If this is the case than Estrada deserved what he got. Players cannot mouth off to an umpire. Even if Estrada thought the ump blew the strike three call earlier, it's on him to concentrate on calling pitches and not worry about the ump.

I hope Estrada gets a good, lengthy suspension.

This umpire says....RIGHT ON!!

He continued. I tossed him. In between the top and bottom halves of the first inning. Earliest ejection for me ever.

I've had the pleasure of tossing out a head coach before the first pitch. He asked me to for reasons I will never know.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

as it goes-

Fable has it the Satan challenged Saint Peter to a baseball game.

Saint Peter laughed. "Are you kidding? I've got Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, and a host of all time greats. Who have you got?"

Satan snickered "The Umpires."

I find it hard to believe Cobb would be up in Heaven.... :D

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Archived