Ahhhh soccer...

CZzyzx41

I've been trying for a while to think of some club to watch. I've been wanting to get into the English Premier League, watch the Champions League or maybe watch a club from somewhere else in the world. It's just tough to find a local team to root for. So here's what I have so far:

Norwich: Team of my family. My lineage goes through and originates in Norwich. There's more of my family history there than in America though I've never been there myself. My heart lies here but I don't know about rooting for a team called the Canaries.

Arsenal: Team of my buddy. Big following of the team down here in SoCal. Probably the Premier team I have the most feeling for but I have reservations about it only because they're one of the more successful clubs and I don't want to be accused of rooting for a team just due to their success. Now that ain't why (it's mostly the friend influence) but anyways. I've never latched onto a team when they were successful except maybe the San Diego Sockers and that was just because of my age.

Chelsea: Uniforms. Colors are the same as the High School I graduated from though known to have a few idiots for fans (who doesn't...but this is like comparing Philly fans to Seattle fans). I hear it's been better lately and there's not as many chavs in the crowd as before and less trouble overall but I don't know...it's just not sticking.

Chivas USA: Probably the most local upper division adult football club. They SUCK! They worse than suck. Most of the people I hate in this town...are Chivas fans.

LA Galaxy: MLS team closest to me. I hear rumors of a team coming to San Diego but until then I have to like a team in Los Angeles? UGH. No I'd rather root for freaking Chivas.

SO...do I latch onto one of these or just keep searching from league to league until a team latches onto me? There are plenty of teams in Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America. There's a couple in North America but just not enough to make it interesting.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

When I clicked on this topic, I wasn't sure if you meant "Ahhhh, soccer ... so relaxing," or "Ahhhh! Soccer! A pox on thee!"

I see now it was the former.

Sounds like you've got the strongest ties with Norwich, but they did get relegated back to the Championship for next season.

I'm an Arsenal man myself, because when I started watching soccer, I only saw two teams regularly: Manchester United and Arsenal. I knew cheering for Man U was like cheering for the Yankees, so I sided with the Gunners.

But if your friend supports Arsenal, it would be fun for you to choose another team, just to antagonize him. I have a lot of fun prodding my friends who root for Newcastle and Tottenham. :D

Of the teams listed the one with the most tradition,history,trophies and the best football is Arsenal.

If however you want a team who under achieve but have a big loyal fan base and hate Man Utd come and join us Man City fans-years of frustration and passion guaranteed!

Best off with Arsenal then.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

The only games I get on TV here in San Diego is digital cable. So I'll have to fork over the extra money for it and catch some matches and let a team choose me.

My Arsenal friend is also a Yankees and Dodgers fan (Dodgers mostly) while I'm a Padres and Red Sox fan. He likes the Long Beach Ice Dogs and I'm a San Diego Gulls fan. History states I should root for whoever Arsenal's biggest rival is...but I think I'll just watch and let a team choose me.

-Daniel

It's hard to follow the Premiership here in the USofA (except for ManU, and I'm tired of seeing them). When I do see scores, I root for Tottenham Hotspur. The reason they are my team is that long ago, I read a book and Tottenham were the favourite team of one of the characters, and for the longest time they were the only team I knew.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

. History states I should root for whoever Arsenal's biggest rival is...but I think I'll just watch and let a team choose me.

:

Locally that would be Tottenham Hotspur,nationally it's Man Utd but that's like following the Yankees.cursing:

There's an English Premier League channel on my local Digital Cable service. There's a large English and Irish population in San Diego (you want melting pot...come to SoCal) and so there's a few channels that show Mexican League soccer and English Premier League and so I'm looking to get that as a Christmas present. Then I'll watch the matches and just observe and learn that first year. Some team will find me. I'm a buccaneers, Sacramento Kings, Aztecs, and Padres fan. I don't root for teams just cause they're doin well. I've been rooting for those teams since I was a kid. They found me. Once I have a team I'll keep learning cause you can never know enough.

-Daniel

They found me

good call. when i was on vacation in ireland i caught a world cup game against irsrael i think, and then a celtic fc game. since those are the only two soccer teams ive watched in their entirety i root for them. even got a celtic fc jersey dirt cheap (30 euro)

I've followed Arsenal ever since 1979, when Liam Brady teased Manchester United all day, then afro headed Alan Sunderland put in the winner after Man U had come from 2 goals down in the last 3 minutes of the game to equalise.

That said, I get a lot of people suggesting I only follow them because they're successful.

If you want to go for someone who isn't going to get you those sorts of accusations, I'd take Norwich due to the family connections, but you won't see them in Premier League this season.

If you want a non-threatening, why-on-earth-do-you-follow-them team I'd take Everton. Same blue as Chelsea, but they don't have the same money, they battle with cross town rivals Liverpool, and they always put up a decent fight.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

rmered is right Everton is a good team to support. They dont have high expectations but are able to challenge, they will even be in the champions league this year. Going with Norwich would be a good choice due to family connections. I go with family connections for my team Olympique Lyonnais. My fathers family is from the Rhone valley of France.

1zqy8ok.gif

Following Norwich from this season means you get to acquaint yourself with their local rivals Ipswich Town-usually a good game.

Everton are a team with an excellent history and tradition and have spent only about four seasons out of the top division since 1888/9.If it wasn't for Heysel they probably would have won the European Cup in 1986-the irony was lost on nobody and helped to fuel the rivalry with Liverpool even more.

Looks like I'll get to be a live witness to the closed-door session practice for Real Madrid in a game against the LA Galaxy. They're advertising David Beckham, Michael Owen, Ronaldo and others actually being there. From my understanding when teams like Man U make US Tours they bring their B squad. It's apparently not common for the A Class starters to make the trip so if in fact Ronaldo and Owen will be there, it'll be worth getting some good pics and perhaps an autograph or something.

Is there any etiquette about approaching these guys vs. US Pro Athletes that I might want to know before I go making an idiot of myself? I know here in the states you're more likely to get a favorable reaction calling them Mr. "Last Name" than just screaming out "HEY 'first name'...or worse...'nickame'!"

-Daniel

Archived