CFL question

slapshot

I caught a bit of the highlights of the Toronto-Winnipeg game tonight (I think it was Winnipeg). I know the end zones are 15 yards deep. But this end zone curved in at 10 yards, like the corner boards of a hockey rink.

Is this a Winnipeg-only thing? That they actually have less of an end zone to work with than other stadiums?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That was Montreal and the curved endzones are there because there is/was an athletic track. Edmonton is the best example of that. Hamilton has a curved endzone as well because they once had an athletic track.

BTW, the endzones are 20 yards deep.

I saw, I came, I left.

Do they still have the rouge/single point?

Yeah, if a returner takes a knee in the end zone on a punt/kickoff/missed FG, if the ball rolls out the back of the end zone, or if the punter is pinned deep and runs it out the back of the end zone, it's still a single. There may be more scenarios for it than that; those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

if the punter is pinned deep and runs it out the back of the end zone

I believe that's considered a safety.

It's kinda wierd that some endzones have their corners cut off, but when you consider that very few baseball stadiums have the same dimensions, it's not like it's without precedent in sports.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

if the punter is pinned deep and runs it out the back of the end zone

I believe that's considered a safety.

It's kinda wierd that some endzones have their corners cut off, but when you consider that very few baseball stadiums have the same dimensions, it's not like it's without precedent in sports.

Yeah, but no standard has been set for baseball stadiums. Football (and others) have definite field dimensions.

Unprecedented, no. I see your connection with this to Major League stadiums and their outfield walls, but I just think it's odd for a sport whose playing dimensions are specific amounts to have teams that play in non-uniform facilities.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

End zones getting cut off used to happen in the NFL and AFL years ago, when they played in tiny baseball stadiums. When the Patriots played in Fenway Park, the end zone corner was cut off by the Green Monster.

---

Didn't the CFL once upon a time have 25-yard end zones? Why were they shrunk?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Kickoffs rarely have single points on them--I can't remember the last time I saw one--they have their own part of the rouge rule-

From cfl.ca-Rule 3 Section 2 Article 4 -

Note: If during a kickoff the kicked ball proceeds through the goal area and across the deadline or sideline in goal without being touched there shall be no score and the ball shall be awarded to the receiving team at any point between the hash marks on its own 25-yard line.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived