New Syracuse Logo (again!?)

Waffles

According to WTVH-TV (CBS-Syracuse), Syracuse University is planning to change its logo again...

CBS-5 Exclusive: SU To Change Logo...AgainVIDEO

The SU athletics department is getting a new logo. SU athletic director Daryl Gross told us that the interlocking SU that the school unveiled last year is being replaced by an old-school style 'block S'. He says it fits with the 'Respect The Past' motto the school will push for football season. It also represents the city better because the old SU logo made it look like the university was seperate from the city. The 'block S' will be an orange 'S' outlined in blue. It will be unveiled soon.

http://www.wtvh.com/story.asp?topid=13&stid=13136

The Block "S" is better than the interlocking SU, that's for sure.

I don't mind when the school goes back to it's roots.

I beleive Syracuse used the block S before Michigan State ever did so it's alright by me.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Even though I'm a BigTen first guy, I'd rather Syracuse use a block S anyways as the S represents Syracuse...which is who they are...while the S for Michigan State represents State...and while that's grown to mean them to a lot of people...it's still not quite a great representation.

Anyways...why do they even need to unviel this? It's a block S and they gave us the colors...we all know what it is now.

I don't mind a retro theme, but their new football uniforms suck.

...while the S for Michigan State represents State...and while that's grown to mean them to a lot of people...

I think Michigan State is "State" to surprisingly few people. Where I went to school, GTHNCSU.gif referred to NC State. And there are literally dozens of similar stories. Leave the "S" to a school like Syracuse. Or Stanford.

Personally, I like the new "SU". I just wish they'd make up their minds and choose something already!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

...while the S for Michigan State represents State...and while that's grown to mean them to a lot of people...

I think Michigan State is "State" to surprisingly few people. Where I went to school, GTHNCSU.gif referred to NC State. And there are literally dozens of similar stories. Leave the "S" to a school like Syracuse. Or Stanford.

Personally, I like the new "SU". I just wish they'd make up their minds and choose something already!

Seeing as MSU's block S is used almost exclusively within the athletics department, could it stand for "Spartans" instead of "State"? I'll as the designers down the hall and see what they know, if anything's been passed down to them through the years.

Seeing as MSU's block S is used almost exclusively within the athletics department, could it stand for "Spartans" instead of "State"? I'll as the designers down the hall and see what they know, if anything's been passed down to them through the years.

Could be, and it's worth asking. But they're also prone to just use "STATE" across their jerseys, especially in hoops. Of course, NC State has done the same thing, and only changed in the last 1-2 years.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I also don't like it when a team puts "State" across it's basketball uniforms, or other athletic gear. I mean, please, tell me what state it is.

Heck, if given the choice, I'd much rather see what Ohio State often does, and just call itself Ohio, even though there is an Ohio University.

And as for Michigan State, that fine college has a wonderful looking Spartan logo that is so much better than just an S.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos of the new logo from the Syracuse practice field:

FBpracticeblocks.jpg

SU1.jpg

It also appears that the SU logo will remain on the jerseys this season:

SU2.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived