NHL Off-Season 2005/06

Suigi

I just love Leaf fans.  They crack me up.  Always thinking inside the box with their wishful thinking.  They hear a big name and they think THEY have the inside track to sign him or trade for him.

Where did he say that? He was merely stating his hopes... I'm sure anyone here would like to have St Louis, Lecavalier or Richards and the rest that he listed.

I still think it's very fishy that all these teams that were poor for the past decade are suddenly rich rich rich, couldn't keep Weight, Poti, or Cujo but can afford Pronger AND Peca now?

Don't get me started on the "bankrupt" Penguins either.

Give me a break.

I'll be happy to take your tickets, Chris, since it sounds like you won't be going to any games in the near future.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just love Leaf fans.  They crack me up.  Always thinking inside the box with their wishful thinking.  They hear a big name and they think THEY have the inside track to sign him or trade for him.

Where did he say that? He was merely stating his hopes... I'm sure anyone here would like to have St Louis, Lecavalier or Richards and the rest that he listed.

I still think it's very fishy that all these teams that were poor for the past decade are suddenly rich rich rich, couldn't keep Weight, Poti, or Cujo but can afford Pronger AND Peca now?

Give me a break.

I'll be happy to take your tickets, Chris, since it sounds like you won't be going to any games in the near future.

I take it that you're not from the Toronto area... only the elite have Leafs tickets in Toronto, hence the quiet crowds and empty seats to begin periods.

I've been to 4 Leaf games in the past 16 years.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Give me a break.

I dont think it is because these teams are "rich" now, they are just able to get good players without having to pay over 7 million, which I think was their problem for the last while when teams like Detroit, Toronto, New York, Colorado and a few more offered 9, 10 and 11 million for players...and its no wonder why people went for the 8 million instead of the 7 or less. It is weird how Pittsburgh can now spend more then say, Carolina, who hasnt really signed anyone big. This shows which teams really are in trouble and which arent.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Give me a break.

I take it that you're not from the Toronto area...

How long have you known (of) me? :P I'm in Seattle.

The point was, if you don't like it, they don't deserve any of your money or attention. Yet I get the feeling people will complain yet still support the league and the teams that a most of the last year they were berating.

Give me a break.

I take it that you're not from the Toronto area... only the elite have Leafs tickets in Toronto, hence the quiet crowds and empty seats to begin periods.

I thought there was something where if you display too much "rambuctious behavoir" they can eject you from the game. I remember hearing that during one of the playoff games during the last season. Or reading it in the Star. My grandpa used to have season tickets for the Leafs but decided to dump them sometime in the 80's because he didnt have time to go anymore. He also used to have jays tickets, but dumped them in 1997 when the team really started to suck. And just for the record, the Leafs tickets were for right behind the net, at the bottom of the second level (if you have seen the inside of MLG, you will know what I mean) and the jays tix were VERY good too...I just dont remember the section. It is hard to get Leafs tickets because most of the people who have them are rich and have had them in their family for ages.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I thought there was something where if you display too much "rambuctious behavoir" they can eject you from the game. I remember hearing that during one of the playoff games during the last season. Or reading it in the Star.

Hogwash.

Speaking as an usher we never eject fans for being loud.

We do, however, eject fans if they are loud AND either using profanity, incredibly drunk, or the odd instance of a player complaining to security about a specific fan.

I've ejected only a couple of fans...

- a fan passing off beer to an underager

- a fan pulling down his pants to show his ass to the dome (no, not the streaker photo -- here it comes I'm sure :P)

I did let a few off with warnings, guys who snuck in alcohol to the stadium, I would make them throw it out but not kick them out, and another i caught trying to throw something, or spitting on the field

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

- a fan pulling down his pants to show his ass to the dome (no, not the streaker photo -- here it comes I'm sure :P)

Oh well.....

close_up.png

Now the real question is why is our own Chris Creamer butt-naked in the Skydome? :therock:

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I dont think it is because these teams are "rich" now, they are just able to get good players without having to pay over 7 million, which I think was their problem for the last while when teams like Detroit, Toronto, New York, Colorado and a few more offered 9, 10 and 11 million for players...and its no wonder why people went for the 8 million instead of the 7 or less. It is weird how Pittsburgh can now spend more then say, Carolina, who hasnt really signed anyone big. This shows which teams really are in trouble and which arent.

But with some teams, it's not that the players are cheaper. While it's true that players are cheaper now, Pittsburgh was dead broke or worse with an $18 million payroll. For ease of numbers, we'll round it up to $20 million, which is $15.2 million after the rollback.

Since the end of the 2003-04 season, they've added Mark Recchi at $2.28 million, Sergei Gonchar at $3.5 million and Ziggy Palffy at $4.5 million, for a total of $10.28 million in added payroll. And that's without Curtis Joseph, who they're rumored to be after as well.

They were dead broke at a $20 million payroll, they're now up to a $25 million payroll. A salary cap does not give teams money, it causes players to be cheaper. Where did the money come from?

But with some teams, it's not that the players are cheaper. While it's true that players are cheaper now, Pittsburgh was dead broke or worse with an $18 million payroll. For ease of numbers, we'll round it up to $20 million, which is $15.2 million after the rollback.

Since the end of the 2003-04 season, they've added Mark Recchi at $2.28 million, Sergei Gonchar at $3.5 million and Ziggy Palffy at $4.5 million, for a total of $10.28 million in added payroll. And that's without Curtis Joseph, who they're rumored to be after as well.

They were dead broke at a $20 million payroll, they're now up to a $25 million payroll. A salary cap does not give teams money, it causes players to be cheaper. Where did the money come from?

My guess is that since the Penguins found out they will get Sidney Crosby, they had receiving a lot of orders for tickets (season and single game), thus they have more money to spend.....

I saw, I came, I left.

That's the only vaild arguement I can see. I did calculations on another site that showed that the Penguins could make $7 million more from ticket sales on the season than they did in 2003-04 if they sold out every game. If they don't sell out every game, the number drops, and since my payroll calculations don't include the cost of insurance or anything like that, it seems to me that currently the Penguins are damned close to doing what all the big-market teams who have been referred to as ruining the NHL were doing - banking on playoff money to break even or make a profit.

Additionally, if they sign one more FA or raise payroll in any other way, they'll go over. Keep an eye on it and see if they do, 'cause they don't have the money for it if they were telling the truth in previous years.

Eerily similar to Philadelphia these days.

Back when I was growing up, the Spectrum was the best place to watch a game. The 2nd and 3rd decks hung way out over the 1st deck, and sound hit the low tin roof and crashed back down over the ice. It was cold, wet and damp. And there wasn't a bad seat in the house.

At the new building, the upper deck is far removed laterally from the playing surface, on top of the suites. And all the suits sit in the lower deck, coming late, yammering on their cell phones, and leaving early. It's like going to a Dodger game.

Worst of all, the Flyers' "concession" to the fans after the lockout was dropping $10 off the price for seats in the upper deck. Lower bowl is still $85 and up. Which is why we dumped our season tickets years ago - too much money for too many crappy games. For every Rangers/Devils/Senators/Red Wings game I wanted to see, I sat through 3 Thrashers/Ducks/Sabres/Isles games.

Of course, my wife is a Devils fan, and Sidney Crosby comes to town on my 30th birthday, so I know I'll be back, prices be damned... <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Eerily similar to Philadelphia these days.

Back when I was growing up, the Spectrum was the best place to watch a game. The 2nd and 3rd decks hung way out over the 1st deck, and sound hit the low tin roof and crashed back down over the ice. It was cold, wet and damp. And there wasn't a bad seat in the house.

At the new building, the upper deck is far removed laterally from the playing surface, on top of the suites. And all the suits sit in the lower deck, coming late, yammering on their cell phones, and leaving early. It's like going to a Dodger game.

Worst of all, the Flyers' "concession" to the fans after the lockout was dropping $10 off the price for seats in the upper deck. Lower bowl is still $85 and up. Which is why we dumped our season tickets years ago - too much money for too many crappy games. For every Rangers/Devils/Senators/Red Wings game I wanted to see, I sat through 3 Thrashers/Ducks/Sabres/Isles games.

Of course, my wife is a Devils fan, and Sidney Crosby comes to town on my 30th birthday, so I know I'll be back, prices be damned... <_<

Ditto. At the lower levels (and even Mezz.) at the Wachovia (or Corestates, or F.U., just call it Comcast) Center you are more likely to hear "and I'm playing Pine Valley next week. I'm trying to take a stroke off of my handicap" than "enforcer? you call Brasheer an enforcer? He couldn't hold Dave Brown's jock." or "this Ninnima kid is OK, but he's no Mark Howe."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A quote form the above posted article.

Ah yes, Ken Sawyer. The Chief Financial Offer of the NHL when

John Ziegler was running the NHLPA.

John Ziegler was the former president of the NHL not the NHLPA. It's mistakes like that weaken the guys argument. Now the author is correct that Pittsburgh was part of the problem in the 90's, much like it was ironic that in baseball Tom Hicks and the Rangers back in 2002 were complaining about rising salaries and wanted a luxury tax. (The previous off-season they had signed A-Rod to a 250 million dollar contract) However, with Pittsburgh they still had financial problems. The losses by the owners were probably greatly exaggerated by the owners as a negotiating ploy in the lockout. It was probably the reason it stretched out for an entire season. But there were losses but not as much as they claimed.

A quote form the above posted article.
Ah yes, Ken Sawyer. The Chief Financial Offer of the NHL when

John Ziegler was running the NHLPA.

John Ziegler was the former president of the NHL not the NHLPA.

I understand what you're saying, since the typo makes Gabe look amateurish, but does it invalidate any of the points that he makes?

Archived