Phila. Eagles numbers

VitaminD

Ever since the Eagles went to the midnight green uniform package, they've grown on me. Hell, I have 3 of the jerseys. But there have always been a couple things about the number font that never looked quite right on a football jersey.

So, using Nick's excellent set as a basis, I modified some of the numbers to something that looks a little better for football jerseys IMO. My set is on top; Nick's set (the current set) is on the bottom. I propose no changes to the colors or the outlining scheme.

eaglesnumbers.png

CHANGES:

1: Got rid of the long serif coming off the vertical line. My least favorite of the set, only made worse by all the people rockin' their #81 jerseys.

2: Got rid of the small vertical serif in the upper left corner to something rounder and more in line with the other rounded numbers.

3: Smaller middle bar.

4: Chopped off the right-sided horizontal bars. Thickened some of the lines.

5: Thickened the upper vertical bar so it is as thick as the rest of the number.

7: Reduced the vertical serif so the 7 looks less like a 9.

6, 8, 9, 0: No changes.

Any thoughts? Am I alone in my fixation?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You did do a good job of cleaning up the numbers, but now there's less resemblance to the lettering, which is all based on the same font: Schadow Bold Condensed. The serif of the 2 (which is oddly not repeated with similar style to the other numbers) goes with the serifs of the S and C. I like your 1 better on its own, but something about it seems out of place with the rest of the numbers.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm not 100% on board with this, VD.

First, let me say that I'm not a huge fan of their numbers. They kind of look "classic", while their wordmark and identity is really modern. I understand they go with the nameplate font, but I still don't really like it. I don't hate it, just don't like it.

That being said...

Keeping in mind that we are tweaking what they have and not revamping, I have to say that I like the serif (or notch) on the 2. It looks like their pre-Jaws era font, which I really like on football jerseys. I also like the different line thicknesses that they use, don't ask me why, I just do. Also, I don't think that either "1" works too well with the set, although I'd give the nod to yours. The slant on theirs just stands out like a sore thumb to me, and it is my least favorite number in the set (followed closely by the 7.)

Nice effort with this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

First, let me say that I'm not a huge fan of their numbers. They kind of look "classic", while their wordmark and identity is really modern. I understand they go with the nameplate font, but I still don't really like it. I don't hate it, just don't like it.

To be honest, BBTV's comments were largely the motivation for me tweaking what they have, because I've thought the same thing for almost a decade now. When Lurie came to town, he dumped the classic kelly green/silver colors, logo and distinctive wordmark (which made all of my childhood clothing and memorabilia instant throwbacks) for the new stuff. And the logo is all angles and very modern looking, but he paired this with a uniform font that is almost too polished and dainty for NFL football. From a design standpoint, the font is mostly graceful curving letters and numbers.

And yeah, the "1" is what bothers me the most. My version is modeled after the "1" that Southern Cal uses. The other numbers followed from further tweaking. If they'd do something about the "1", I'd call it a victory and never speak of it again. I ditched the "2" serif because it looks inconsistent; if they wanted to pay homage to the pre-Vet Stadium era BBTV alluded to, there should be serifs on the "3", and likely the "5", "6" and "9" as well. (Check out Packers throwbacks or Cowboys throwbacks to see what I mean.) I doubt they were paying homage to anything, since Lurie came out and stated he wanted to dissolve as many connections to the pre-Lurie era as he could when he took over.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I ditched the "2" serif because it looks inconsistent; if they wanted to pay homage to the pre-Vet Stadium era BBTV alluded to, there should be serifs on the "3", and likely the "5", "6" and "9" as well.

I guess you're right about that. I dunno. I like it on the 2 for some reason. Seeing your set without it on the 2 reminded me of those horrible Ricky Watters reversable replica jerseys that they made. For some reason the 2 in 32 looked like your 2. I aplogize for typing two too many times to count.

I guess the only real solution would be to develop a totally new font, one with more angles and jagged-edge serifs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seeing your set without it on the 2 reminded me of those horrible Ricky Watters reversable replica jerseys that they made.

Oh, :puke: . Every now and again I see someone tailgating at the Linc with one of those 1st-year-in-midnight-green jerseys (usually an Andy Harmon #91) with the thick sleeve stripes that were only on the white jerseys and the numbers and letters that weren't even close to what they wore.

Yecch. Sorry for that if that's what my tweaking conjured up.

2007nleastchamps.png

I remember reversible jerseys :D I remember I used to want one...one of my teammates had a Ricky Watters jersey (home/away reverse), though the away side was sort of a 96/97 hybrid (the eagle was on the sleeves, but so was the thick green stripe).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I remember reversible jerseys :D I remember I used to want one...one of my teammates had a Ricky Watters jersey (home/away reverse), though the away side was sort of a 96/97 hybrid (the eagle was on the sleeves, but so was the thick green stripe).

IIRC, the green side had the eagle on the sleeve (with no black cuff), while the white side had the thick black + thick green stripe with no eagle head.

Here you go, courtesy of eBay:

eBay...

b4_1_b.JPG

c9_1_b.JPG

that's what his jersey probably shoulda looked like, but the numbers were actually correct on his, and as I mentioned the eagle head was on the sleeves, then the green stripe, and finally the black cuff. as i'd said, sort of a 96/97 hybrid. odd, but true :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

b4_1_b.JPG

c9_1_b.JPG

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!

:cursing:

I don't even know where to start, so I am going to say nothing and go wash my eyes out.

2007nleastchamps.png

b4_1_b.JPG

c9_1_b.JPG

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!

:cursing:

I don't even know where to start, so I am going to say nothing and go wash my eyes out.

I had the same initial reaction, but it had less to do with that specific jersey, and more to do with the fact that an Eagles jersey is hanging up in front of a backdrop of mostly Redskins paraphernalia. That just ain't right.

As a lifelong (and currently suffering) R*dsk*ns fan, I'm just glad someone else has proof they used to be good.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

As a lifelong (and currently suffering) R*dsk*ns fan, I'm just glad someone else has proof they used to be good.

its ok...I know how you feel. We have a support group called Redskins Fan Anonymous if you'd like to join us ^_^

I've been looking for that set of football fonts by Nick and I can't find them, where are they?

bump....bump????????

Try searching for Nick 1733's posts. There is (or was) a link in his sig to his NFL and MLB .zip files.

2007nleastchamps.png

I've been looking for that set of football fonts by Nick and I can't find them, where are they?

bump....bump????????

Try searching for Nick 1733's posts. There is (or was) a link in his sig to his NFL and MLB .zip files.

They're history. I'm pretty sure he took the links down.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived