Field turf fever?

Chazberg

St. Louis has AstroTurf right now. I have heard nothing about FieldTurf, but it wouldnt' surprise me.

Technically, the Rams have "Magic Carpet." I did hear that they were considering FieldTurf but I think the issues regarding what is necessary to cover it up for other events still need to be worked out. The Dome would like to host the Mizzou-Illinois basketball game which is always in December and the hope is also that St. Louis University will play at least one nonconference game a year there once they move into their new arena. Since the new, on-campus arena will only hold about 15,000 at max, SLU would use the dome's larger seating capacity as a gate enticement for a big-time road team to come in. Since FieldTurf can't just get rolled up and stored, there are a lot of logistical hitches that have to be resolved first and that's what they're working on right now.

SLU's moving out of the Kiel?! Bwuh?!

Same reaction from me, seeing as Marquette is a similar school to St. Louis, and they've thrived in the Bradley Center for 15 seasons now...

QPR%20Sig.png

SLU gets a good amount of fans, but they have no atomosphere cuz they just can't fill Savvis (yes, sadly I couldn't keep the habit of calling it Kiel...that's ok though, I happen to like Savvis as a sponsor). This new arena I believe is supposed to be on campus in an attempt for more students to go I think, and smaller so it can be filled and have that atomosphere to it. I mean Duke really has a small place, but they fill it and it gets noisy and you have a good atomosphere. SLU is goin for that. This is good IMO for St. Louis, because it's now one less knock against St. Louis being able to get an NBA team.

if anyone cares Camp Randall's (UW) apparently going to make the switch to FieldTurf or one of the knockoffs for this season...a friend of mine went to a camp up there once and said he hated the astroconcrete, so this should be an improvement.  and if you're gonna ask "why the hell didn't the badgers switch to grass?" i got two words for ya:

Fifth Quarter.  or two more for the uninformed: the band.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

SLU gets a good amount of fans, but they have no atomosphere cuz they just can't fill Savvis

And, see, I always hear sportscasters talk about how loud Kiel is when SLU is playing there. Hm.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Indiana University is just wrapping up its installation of "AstroPlay".  Here are some pictures from iuhoosiers.com:

FBallTurf0331.jpgFBallTurf0332.jpg

IU pulled up the green concrete 5 or 6 years ago, but never could get grass to take hold.  It will be interesting to see if the new turf is safer than the pasture of divots it replaced.

Astroplay.. pfft......

The only NuTurf that looks real, and feels real, and is the best out there, is FieldTurf. It should be the only one out there, these other ones are.... nowhere near as good....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

the worst in fill surface has gotta be NexTurf, whcih is used at the Vet in philly. i have been on it many times for post game fireworks displays, and even played a carpenter cup baseball game on it. it sucks. the plastic blades of "grass" hurt like none other. it is rock solid. and the worst part is it traps the heat. why they chose to use it i have no idea. the linc does have natural grass, lined with strands of artificial turf for more grip and less wear on the field. manchester united called it the best surface they have ever played on. itll be interesting to see how this withstands the test of time and use.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Archived