Tulsa gets new football uniforms

Moser316

This one probably slipped under the radar (because hey, it's Tulsa :P), but they just unveiled new football uniforms last Friday:

Link

EricRichardson1.JPG

Not sure if anybody mentioned it yet, but this is my first time hearing about this, and I haven't seen anything here or at Fanhome about it...

QPR%20Sig.png

If you've seen what they had before, it's a major improvement.  Basically, it was a gold/blue (main/secondary color) rendition of the Broncos-style uniforms with blue helmets.  This year, they're changing the helmets back to gold with this uniform combo...

QPR%20Sig.png

Yeah that gold jersey, with the Broncos stripe, and that Highway sign font they used as lettering.  This is a major improvement

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

When Marquette had football (pre-1961), their teams were called the Golden Avalanche, because we have a lot of avalanches in the Milwaukee area :P

golden avalanche? funny, i was under the impression that they were the hilltoppers back then. never really crossed my mind, though.

and i'll be damned, the cane put red in.

another note, tulsa provides info on why their name is 'golden hurricane' at their team site (i'm too lazy to get the address, just use google, you'll find it). basically it indirectly involved georgia tech and was mainly for pub.

critique: i like this look, even though i liked the last look it was too bronco-style to last imo.  i gotta say, i hope they have an alternate gold jersey to go with these, cus ncaa 04 has last years uni w/inversed helmet (predominantly gold) and that looks good to me.  tulsa will still suck in real life but maybe the 'look good, don't have the sooners on your sked, play good' mantra will hold true :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Why shouldn't they?  The colors for the Hurricane flags are red and black? ;)

And while looking through one of my old Athlon NCAA football yearbooks the other night, I came across a picture of some red Tulsa home jerseys from the mid-late 1990's.  I'll see if I can find it again so I can scan a pic :)

QPR%20Sig.png

With the exception of the #5 the unis kinda remind me of the New York Giants football team from a few years back.

Tulsa would be more conductive to "Tornados" than Hurricanes - afterall they in "tornado alley"!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

With the exception of the #5 the unis kinda remind me of the New York Giants football team from a few years back.

Tulsa would be more conductive to "Tornados" than Hurricanes - afterall they in "tornado alley"!!

for those too lazy to look for it, here's why Tulsa's the Golden Hurricane and not the Golden Tornadoes: that name was taken :;): (the below is from tulsahurricane.com, Tulsa's athletics site)

A Hurricane In Tulsa?

The origination of The University of Tulsa nickname - Golden Hurricane - came in 1922. A new football coach, Howard Acher, came to town and inherited a slew of nicknames dating back to 1895.

Past Tulsa teams were referred to as Kendallites, Presbyterians, Tigers, Orange and Black, and Tulsans. In the fall of 1922, the team nickname was "Yellow Jackets," which was apparently due to the fact that the team was wearing new black and yellow uniforms instead of the traditional orange and black.

The team opened the season and it was apparent that Tulsa was going to have a great year, and trying to seize some publicity for his team, Acher wanted to find a new nickname quickly.

After a remark was made in practice one day about "roaring through opponents," and because of their new jersey colors, he thought of Golden Tornadoes. However, he quickly found out that the name had been taken by Georgia Tech a few years earlier. From the tornado, he evolved meteorologically to the hurricane. A few days before the team left for a game against Texas A&M, Archer asked the squad to vote on the name, and thus "Golden Hurricane" was born.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Does anyone else think that the white on the collar loooks out of place with there not being any other white elements?

Depends on whether there are white sleeve stripes that are not visible in the picture due to the sleeves being tucked in a bit.  If there's no sleeve striping then yes, it would be a bit distracting.

And while we're on the subject of Tulsa, their on-filed mascot costume is a riot.

Kind of rerminds me of the London Monarchs when they were in the World League of American Football, or whatever they called it in those days!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Does anyone else think that the white on the collar loooks out of place with there not being any other white elements?

Depends on whether there are white sleeve stripes that are not visible in the picture due to the sleeves being tucked in a bit. If there's no sleeve striping then yes, it would be a bit distracting.

And while we're on the subject of Tulsa, their on-filed mascot costume is a riot.

the mascot itself looks funny in a good way...the drawing of said mascot, however, has always looked stupid, imo.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived