NRL Seventies Week

jr79

It's a throwback week with a difference as the National Rugby League has chosen this round as 70s week and accordingly paired some famous rivals from the 70s, announced a team of the best players from the decade etc.

Wests Tigers broke out the old Wests Magpies black jerseys with the double white V last week for balance before wearing the famous Balmain Tigers gold jerseys with double black V tonight.

Bulldogs have just worn their old blue and white butcher stripe throwback they've used for a few seasons, but their home jersey is not a lot different to their classic white with blue V style.

But the best part... the referees have gone for the old NSWRL referee's shirts from the 70s and 80s with the two-blues striping on shoulders and sleeves. They used to make these in red, white, gold... and even powder blue I think, but all of them had the royal blue/power blue stripes on the shoulders extending down the sleeves as a sort of NSWRL branding.

I am struggling to find a picture and Getty doesn't have any yet of tonight's game to show you this piece of sartorial splendour :(

It'll be interesting to see what the other teams taking part in 70s week end up wearing.

liverpool-1.png

Tigers wore their 2005 "modern" shorts with their throwbacks for the second week in a row... nasty clash, not to mention cheap.

liverpool-1.png

Tigers wore their 2005 "modern" shorts with their throwbacks for the second week in a row... nasty clash, not to mention cheap.

Didn't seem to hurt them none, they won 54-2. :-p

Here are other ones that I'm noticing by looking at the NRL.com previews...

- Sydney will wear a blue with red and white horizontal striped jumper this week against Souths.

- Cronulla will wear an aqua jumper with black-trimed white stripe across the front and arms, bearing a resemblince to the old San Jose Sharks unis from the 90s.

- The Sharkies' opponent, Manly, will be wearing a white jumper with three maroon double-stripes across the front and one on each arm.

- Parramatta will wear a blue jumper with thin gold stripes across the shoulder and under the armpits against St. George-Illiwarra.

And that's it. Any other changes will probably be shown after the game is over, but I imagine that teams like Souths and St. George, who are already wearing traditional-style jumpers, will stay the same.

philly.png

Yeah the whole point of the weekend is to remember the drawn grand finals of 1977 and 1978 when they had to replay them. Parra vs St George in 1977 and Cronulla vs Manly in 1978 so they are wearing their jerseys from those years.

The Roosters tricolour stripes throwback has been around for a few years. They usually wear it on ANZAC Day vs St George and when something like this comes up.

liverpool-1.png

Parra vs St George Images

Cronulla vs Manly Images

Cronulla's jersey was almost perfect. The blue looked a little lighter than I remember it but maybe that's because the current shade they use is a little darker?

The Manly one was well done.

The Parra jersey was not quite right because the sponsor's name was so big they left the stripes off the front basically. But you get the idea from the pics. The old style white numbers were a nice touch.

St George just wore their usual jersey :sleeping:

liverpool-1.png

Archived