Weekday games

ninersdd

The NFL stopped the Thursday night games a few years ago.

Do you think they should bring them back?

(Heck I wouldn't mind Friday night games)

Why did the NFL dump them?

Maybe because some teams didn't like playing Sunday then Thursday, fewer days off.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yeah, it isn't really fair for the teams. But then again, it gives them extra time to prep for their next game. The NFL should offer the Thursday slots to the teams that woudn't otherwise get national attention. I'm sure there are teams who (at least their owners) would sacrafice the prep time just for an opportunity to be in a nationally televised game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NFL stopped the Thursday night games a few years ago.

Do you think they should bring them back?

(Heck I wouldn't mind Friday night games)

Why did the NFL dump them?

um, isn't the opener gonna be on a Thursday? :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

There are still Thursday night games. The opener is on Thursday, then there is Thanksgiving. They usually play on Thursday in late October instead of going up against the World Series Sunday Night. There is Thursday games, in fact there is talk of Comcast/OLN buying the rights to Thursday and Saturday NFL Games (8 Games total).

Putting any significant amount of games on Thursday would weaken the Sunday stranglehold they've got.

Appointment TV is a powerful thing, and the NFL should be wary to mess with it.

I don't think they are adding any Thursday games for next year. What I think they are doing is having 1 network broadcast all the Thursday and Saturday games minus Thanksgiving. So if OLN wins the rights they would broadcast opening thursady night, the Thursday before the World Series, and the 6 Satuday games the last 2 weeks of the season.

JKR's right on the WorldSeries conflicts. I seem to remember the Bengals always having one Thursday night game a year, and it was in mid-October, to allow the Reds the field for the weekend.

I thought I read that a Friday NFL game was a possiblity with the new TV contracts (and it wasn't due to a holiday conflict).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The reason there is a lack of Thursday and Friday (especially Fri.) NFL games, is because the league wants to avoid going head to head with high school and college games. Yes, the opener and Thanksgiving are exceptions, but the opener is a special deal, and by Thanksgiving, college and high school are usually over (or getting ready for bowl season/play-offs). The NCAA ran into much publicized criticism about three or four years ago when they signed their TV deal with ESPN for Friday night college football, violating the gentleman?s agreement of Friday for high school, Thursday and Saturday for college, and Sunday and Monday for NFL...

Moose

Archived