Baltimore CFL question

DYork

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but I would guess the three stars stand for Maryland being the 3rd state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. That is just a guess, but seems logical.

Scratch this idea, Maryland was the 7th State in the Union.

Can't say I know this one, but did you know:

Baltimore is the only city in history to win a football championship in 3 different leagues.

NFL: Colts 1958, 1959, 1971 & Ravens 2001

USFL: Stars 1985

CFL: Stallions 1995

The team was originally owned by 3 general partners.

By the time the first game was played though, one (Jim Speros, I believe his name was) had assumed majority control.

Thta was the owner's name--but I've never heard an explanation for 3 stars...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Here's another real wild guess....although it has nothing to do with the three, maybe it has to do with honoring the Baltimore Stars. Since you have the horse symbolizing the old Colts name, maybe the stars in the logo represent the Stars team.

David

Okay, you have an American CFL team playing close to the nation's capital, and the Stallion's mane is, in fact, stripes. Do you really need an explanation for the stars now?

I'm not saying the ideas posted here aren't good ones, bewcause they are. I'm just saying the most obvious answer is right there for ya.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here is the definitive answer.The stars represented the 3 pro teams in Baltimore history. The AAFL Colts, THE BALTIMORE COLTS!!!!! and the Baltimore Stars. I still have my Baltimore Colts (CFL) t-shirt which was only sold for about a month until the NFL sued them because it would have created "confusion" with those other colts. The team had 4 names in its short but great history. The Colts, the CFL's, the CFL Colts, and the Stallions.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Some interesting ideas--the stars and stripes one sounds good...

Well whatever the reason (mayb the designer just thought it looked good!)

it was easily the best logo of the US teams...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The Texans had nice unis--and the logo was okay, but the Posse's were boring--the logo was okay--

You must have a thing for stars!

The Pirates & Maddogs were the worst logos though.

Here is the definitive answer.The stars represented the 3 pro teams in Baltimore history. The AAFL Colts, THE BALTIMORE COLTS!!!!! and the Baltimore Stars. I still have my Baltimore Colts (CFL) t-shirt which was only sold for about a month until the NFL sued them because it would have created "confusion" with those other colts. The team had 4 names in its short but great history. The Colts, the CFL's, the CFL Colts, and the Stallions.

This is the correct meaning/explanation of the 3 stars. I remember hearing this when the team first came to Baltimore.

Archived