Retiring Clemente's #21 in all the MLB stadiums

Swiss

Do you agree with retiring #21 in every MLB ballpark?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

capt.px10209022036.clementes_number_px102.jpg

Roberto Clemente, outfielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, is seen in a 1967 file photo.

In the latest effort to recognize the increasing numbers of Latin American baseball players, an advocacy group wants Major League Baseball to retire Roberto Clemente's No. 21 by next year's All-Star Game in Pittsburgh.

Clemente died at age 38 on Dec. 31, 1972, when a plane loaded with relief supplies for victims of a Nicaraguan earthquake crashed shortly after takeoff from San Juan, Puerto Rico. (AP Photo)

Gee, like the stuff of Jackie Robinson's #42 few years ago...

I support that iniciative favoring retiring Roberto Clemente's #21 everywhere but I think that Clemente isn't like Robinson because the ex Dodger was a pivotal person in the American life, society, sports and history. Clemente is a very exceptional human being and a superb athlete, he already belongs to the HOF and his number has retired in the Pirates' ballpark but... he hadn't the same impact that Robinson made when he was on the public look.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to agree with Swiss on this one. If MLB is going to universally retire #21, it would have to be for Clemente, not Clemens. Clemente was a figure of social change in baseball, much like Jackie Robinson. Clemens is/was just a damn good pitcher (who has worn #22 for the last few seasons).

That being said, I don't agree with the universal retirement of numbers. I thought MLB was going down the slippery slope when they retired "42" and now you see groups advocating retiring "21" in honor of Clemente and "3" in honor of Babe Ruth (beat me to it, Tank). Ruth saved the game after the Black Sox scandal and is still one of the most recognizable of players 57 years after his death. Clemens' legacy doesn't hold up to Clemente's or Ruth's.

Swiss made a very good point. I can't think of any sports figure who impacted society the way Jackie Robinson did.

Roberto Clemente was a great humanitarian. He lost his life trying to help his fellow man. But that doesn't mean his No. 21 should be retired by every team.

Why don't we just retire one number for each race league-wide so we can stop the madness altogether? White people can have 3 (Ruth), Latinos can have 21 (Clemente), Blacks already have 42 (Robinson). Would Jews count as a separate race? If so, retire 32 (Koufax). Someone help me with Oriental/Asians, maybe 51 (Ichiro), oh and I can't forget Native American/Indians, what number did Jim Thorpe wear?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Why don't we just retire one number for each race league-wide so we can stop the madness altogether? White people can have 3 (Ruth), Latinos can have 21 (Clemente), Blacks already have 42 (Robinson). Would Jews count as a separate race? If so, retire 32 (Koufax). Someone help me with Oriental/Asians, maybe 51 (Ichiro), oh and I can't forget Native American/Indians, what number did Jim Thorpe wear?

Exactly

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've got to agree with Swiss on this one. If MLB is going to universally retire #21, it would have to be for Clemente, not Clemens. Clemente was a figure of social change in baseball, much like Jackie Robinson. Clemens is/was just a damn good pitcher (who has worn #22 for the last few seasons).

I think they should retire #21 for Roger and for Clemente.

--Roberto "Time?" Clemens.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Why don't we just retire one number for each race league-wide so we can stop the madness altogether?  White people can have 3 (Ruth), Latinos can have 21 (Clemente), Blacks already have 42 (Robinson).  Would Jews count as a separate race?  If so, retire 32 (Koufax).  Someone help me with Oriental/Asians, maybe 51 (Ichiro), oh and I can't forget Native American/Indians, what number did Jim Thorpe wear?

Exactly

Did Tank and I just agree on something? I don't know whether to smile or be really, really afraid. :D

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think when MLB retired #42, they set a very dangerous precedent. It just opened up the doors for different groups to lobby for one of "their own" to have the same honor. I fully support honoring Robinson in a major way, but that was the wrong way to do it. Very disingenuous to do it 50 years after the fact. If they want to honor Clemente in some way, I guess I wouldn't have an issue with it, but please not another universal number retirement.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Swiss made a very good point. I can't think of any sports figure who impacted society the way Jackie Robinson did.

Roberto Clemente was a great humanitarian. He lost his life trying to help his fellow man. But that doesn't mean his No. 21 should be retired by every team.

I voted yes because mostly of sympathy with Roberto Clemente. But I'm not a Latino.

As I said, Clemente with all his very high human and sport values wasn't in the same level of Robinson. If MLB will reject that petition, I'll not be sad, after all, Clemente had alots of honors: HOF, retired number in Pittsburgh, a statue, streets named after him, etc, etc! :)

sj32

That being said, I don't agree with the universal retirement of numbers. I thought MLB was going down the slippery slope when they retired "42" and now you see groups advocating retiring "21" in honor of Clemente and "3" in honor of Babe Ruth (beat me to it, Tank). Ruth saved the game after the Black Sox scandal and is still one of the most recognizable of players 57 years after his death. Clemens' legacy doesn't hold up to Clemente's or Ruth's.

Sorry my friend... I never talked about Roger Clemens, former Red Sox pitcher and current Astros pitcher. I think that Clemens has nothing to do with this present topic.

pennants.png

sj32

Sorry my friend... I never talked about Roger Clemens, former Red Sox pitcher and current Astros pitcher. I think that Clemens has nothing to do with this present topic.

I can't read :wacko:

Why don't we just retire one number for each race league-wide so we can stop the madness altogether?

Hey, you can't do that. That would mean we Norwegians would be put in the same group as those doggone Swedes.

Wait, wait, wait!!! I want to see the number of OTTO HESS retired in every ballpark in entire America (from Alaska to Tierra de Fuego)!

This man was the first Swiss to play ball in the Big Leagues!

Thanks for the mike and your attention, ladies and gentlemen!

( :Oo: er-- I'm remembering something now... when Hess played for the Indians in 1906... there wasn't any number in the jerseys!!! Forget it! HA!)

pennants.png

Why don't we just retire one number for each race league-wide so we can stop the madness altogether?

Hey, you can't do that. That would mean we Norwegians would be put in the same group as those doggone Swedes.

Well, at least you guys get identified with a country. Blacks and Asians get a continent and Latinos get a region... :D

Wait, did I just play the race card?

No, you just played the wild card with the Angels, A's and Yankees, my friend (HA!) :P

Dude, I'm an Orioles fan, I'm afraid I know nothing of this Wild Card you speak about...

I've got to agree with Swiss on this one.  If MLB is going to universally retire #21, it would have to be for Clemente, not Clemens.  Clemente was a figure of social change in baseball, much like Jackie Robinson.  Clemens is/was just a damn good pitcher (who has worn #22 for the last few seasons).

:lol:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No, you just played the wild card with the Angels, A's and Yankees, my friend (HA!) :P

Dude, I'm an Orioles fan, I'm afraid I know nothing of this Wild Card you speak about...

Ahhhhh... yeah, you are getting pretty far of that prize... :P

pennants.png

I've got to agree with Swiss on this one.  If MLB is going to universally retire #21, it would have to be for Clemente, not Clemens.  Clemente was a figure of social change in baseball, much like Jackie Robinson.  Clemens is/was just a damn good pitcher (who has worn #22 for the last few seasons).

:lol:

Well, Roberto Clemens, we the CCSLC people would retire YOUR number here. :P

BTW, now thinking it better, it isn't a bad idea... we should starting to retire "numbers" of the best known (I mean, "famous") CCSLC members. Each one of them must tell us what number is his favorite... and we'll retire it.

pennants.png

Archived