Rollag Steamers

Epiphanic

This is a concept for my fantasy baseball team, the Rollag Steamers. Some may remember the franchise. The Independent League folded, but the Steamers live on in their original form. As a SmallBall team! Nothing to great has changed since I last posted them but I want to resubmit the design to new constructive criticism.

Primary.pngsecondary.jpg

What are some simple suggestions to make this better? Should I change the color scheme? Also, I'd like to create some sort of wordmark. The font I chose is Allegro BT. Is there a better one or how should I go about designing it? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'm sort of confused what exactly it's supposed to be. I'm not saying you did a bad render, I just don't know what it's supposed to resemble. The font looks alright, although there probably is a better one out there. I'd say put an outline around the text as well.

The fact that you can't tell what it's supposed to be shows me that I have more work than I expected. It's a steam whistle. Regarding the font, I'm not sure what color to outline it in. Black doesn't do it for me, but a lighter color blends into the wording too much.

I tweet & tumble.

Ok, now I get it. I'd say put a little indication of the opening where the steam comes out, just to clarify the whistle. As far as the text, I'm not too sure what to do about that. The gray isn't all that light, so that might make an acceptable outline.

I want to thank Biohazard69 for the knowledge of what this team is named after. Thank you.

Yeah, I've heard that should be based in Cleveland or Boston for that matter, but this is supposed to be a "professional" name. Also, I'm currently working on a new steam whistle for the logo. I hope that it will be less "dildo" like. The trouble is getting the steam to flow around it to a point that I like. Does anybody have font/wordmark ideas that could work better than what I have now?

Thanks again Bio for the cheer.

I tweet & tumble.

Here is a reference you may find useful:

SteamWhistle.jpg

That is an awesome beer logo. I love that style.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

I'd reconsider losing the force lines that help give the impression of a forceful blast. This version is less likely to read as steam than as fluffy clouds (especially since you are using sky blue), or that the steam is leaking out rather than generating an earpiercing whistle. Refer back to the beer logo and notice how the steam cloud actually takes a backseat to the lines and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Another easy "improvement" would be to vary the line thickness some. If you aren't familiar with how to vary the actual lines thickness with various filters, you can just draw a black shape behind them to create the effect and "hide" that shape behind the rest of the art.

Lastly, I would think about adding a stem of some sort. It is clear that the beer logo features a whistle b/c of the valve with pullstring. Your design lacks that context and could be confused with a capsule of some sort. The blue lines would look less like stripes on a metal cylinder if you made them a little more narrow than the gray area. It would seem more like they are holes/empty space that allows steam to escape that way. Do you need two of them? Most of the pictures that came up when I did a quick Google Images search had only one opening, and they all had handles.

Good luck and keep at it!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another attempt. I tried drawing a steam tractor for a logo but couldn't quite get the look I was hoping for. (I still might try to make one for the team.) Coming back to the steam whistle, I took a slightly different approach. It still slanted, but the steam is gone, a stem is added and a lever is present. Hopefully this will make it more "whistle-like." This is just a preliminary sketch done in my notebook. I submit it to comments and suggestions for further improvement.

Untitled-2.png

I tweet & tumble.

Thanks for the suggestion, ltravisjr. I gave it a whirl and am happy with the result. I took it a bit farther adding the "inside" from the top of the mouth too. I'm not entrirely sure on a color scheme. Is what I had a winner? Or would you go in a different direction? I would like to stay away from a monochrome palatte. Here's slightly more "developed" sample.

newlogo3.png

I tweet & tumble.

Looking mighty fine. For colors I imagine something like navy with dark silver (gray) and bronze, but that's just me. Its your vision; you might see it differently. One hint when you start coloring: see if you can use dark and light fills (shadows/highlights) to show where different surfaces meet, rather than rely just on your outlines to it. One thing I just have to throw in: the thing looks "alive" somehow. It is almost like it wants some eyes above that mouth. I doubt you want to go in that direction (cartoons), and you certainly don't need to, but that's just something I saw. Anyway, this is a great starting point - I wouldn't change a thing with what you have so far now.

LT

Archived