Whalers & the new WHA

cyandlux

If they're planning on using it, they better send the royalty check to the Governor...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

It is my understanding that those logo's are still owned by the WHA.

No. They're owned by the state of Connecticut. And since the old WHA doesn't and can't own anything anymore, I don't know how they would own the Whalers' logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nope. Everything associated with the former Hartford Whalers is owned by the state - including the Pucky logo.

I should tip my cousin who works in the state comptroller's office about this - maybe they'll send a nice letter to the WHA reminding them of that... :hockeysmiley:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

What is the point of the state of Connecticut owning the Whalers identity if they're never going to let anyone use it for anything?

I think that this is a way to preserve the nickname for CT... so when a future NHL team comes to CT, it would use the nickname and all the Whalers' stuff.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

What is the point of the state of Connecticut owning the Whalers identity if they're never going to let anyone use it for anything?

I think that this is a way to preserve the nickname for CT... so when a future NHL team comes to CT, it would use the nickname and all the Whalers' stuff.

Except no future NHL team is going to CT. Both the Rangers and Bruins would voice objections. The Islanders also might not like a Hartford team. Hartford is wedged right in the middle of 2 major markets who already have teams (and in New Yorks case 3 teams). It makes it real hard for CT to get a team.

Except no future NHL team is going to CT. Both the Rangers and Bruins would voice objections. The Islanders also might not like a Hartford team. Hartford is wedged right in the middle of 2 major markets who already have teams (and in New Yorks case 3 teams). It makes it real hard for CT to get a team.

The Bruins most defintely would...although every damn time there was a Whalers/Bruins game at the Civic Center, there were quite a few folks wearing the Black & Gold Hub-B with an amazing inability to pronounce their R's...

The Rangers actually waived their objections to the Whale joining the NHL back in 79...however, seeing the dip-plop Dolans run the show at the Civic Center, they can block anything coming in that could replace the Wolfpack...

Nobody around here gives a flying fluff what the Isles think...they're too busy trying to cultivate Fairfield County (read: Bridgeport) as an area for fans...hasn't worked too well (most folks are still Ranger fans down there and nobody goes to Sound Tigers games unless they're playing Hartford)

It's wishful thinking, but there's more of a chance of Bridgeport falling into the Sound than the NHL coming back here.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I think youre wrong. Theres already a presidence set that all 4 teams ultimately can survive, so that argument is out the window. Hartford would need 1. a new arena, which aint happening especially since they just built Rentschler and 2. a team to move here, which definately isnt happening.

Archived