my personal logo scavenger hunt

IronChefShark

Ive been on yahoo and google looking for clear images of the original logo used by the 49ers, the prospector firing guns.

so far all Ive been able to find was the logo on this old football card in addition to the logo that is listed on the mother site, sportslogos.net.

However, I did find these:

old game program: 49ers vs. Baltimore Colts

old game program: 49ers vs. New York Yankees :blink:

while these dont have a full version of the old primary logo, they do shed some light on how the original logo really looked.

what Ive learned so far, is that there was at least two different versions of this logo, as the two I posted before while similar in many ways, are in fact different.

when I have an off day in the middle of the week Im gonna go explore the neighborhood around old Kezar Stadium and visit some antiques stores, collectible shops, bars (for research purposes you filthy beasts! :P ) to see if I can find any more old publications that have a clean image of the original 49ers logo. My goal out of all this is to eventually render it as accurately as I can as an image for the mother site, SportsLogos.net.

Good God, ICS - what is the Prospector doing to that horse? A little interspecies lovin' before grinding up some horse sausage? Hmmm... <_<

And the Niners dropped the apostrophe when an English teacher took the red pen to their nickname. The apostrophe shouldn't be there. If anywhere, it should precede the "49", which is an abbreviation of 1849 - the same way people say that they were "Class of '94". The apostrophe represents items deleted for convenience. It doesn't belong before an "s" where something is being pluralized.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 2 weeks later...

progress report

I had a day off today so I went to the city in search of the prospector. I thought that there wouldnt be a better place to start then the San Francisco Main Library at the civic center. There is a good sized room there dedicated to nothing but research materials on the history of the city. Sure enough, I found a few good books on the 49ers dating 1966, 1973, and 1977.

the 73 book did indeed have images of our prospector friend. there were a few color printed pages in the book with player illustrations and photographs, and a small yet clear image of the prospector logo. this version is the stand alone prospector (meaning without the football backdrop), and his hat is fallen off to his side. they dont allow these books to be checked out so I ordered a couple of photocopies that should be coming to me in a couple of days.

in that same book there was also a black and white image of a game ticket from 1949. the ticket had a different version of this logo on it. the prospector was superimposed over the football and the gunsmoke coming from his top gun formed the script wordmark that is depicted on the program images in my initial post.

I hope that the copy I sent for comes out clear, so I can have it scanned and then render it for the site. but i am by no means done with this research.

the prospector was superimposed over the football and the gunsmoke coming from his top gun formed the script wordmark that is depicted on the program images in my initial post.

yes, Im quoting myself.

anyways, I found an image of it. its small though

fbsflh.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

no logo traps WIB. I dont think seared prospector will go over too well at the Bar B Coon.

anyways, I have not given up on this. here is a large image of the logo that I found at the SF Library about a month ago.

49ersProspector.jpg

in addition, prior to the Sharks game yesterday I went to a store specializing in authentic 49ers merchandise and memorabilia in San Jose called The Fan Club, and there was a plaque for sale there with a black and white image of the Million Dollar Backfield (Joe Perry, Frankie Albert, Hugh McElhenny, and another player I couldnt identify) and on that plaque was a color image of 49ers publications and memorabilia from that era, including media guides that had our prospector on them.

from what Ive seen on the plaque, the prospector's true rendering shows him drawn out in black, wearing a red shirt and white pants with a crisscrossed red striping pattern on them (look upwards at the program). Also, this version of the logo did have the Forty Niners cursive wordmark in red outlined in black coming out of the gun above the logo.

another find

1958-49ER-YRBK.JPG

this one depicts the logo in its true color rendering. also its a version that is superimposed over the football.

kinda related to this topic, i also found this button featuring the old 49 shield logo

pin-49ers.JPG

looks to me like that is silver and not gold

also, from what I have found, it appears that from 1946 to 1949 the 49ers wore white helmets, then wore red helmets from 1950 to 1955. both helmets were worn with the same uniform (the one they threw back to in 1994)

kinda related to this topic, i also found this button featuring the old 49 shield logo

looks to me like that is silver and not gold

also, from what I have found, it appears that from 1946 to 1949 the 49ers wore white helmets, then wore red helmets from 1950 to 1955. both helmets were worn with the same uniform (the one they threw back to in 1994)

According to The Helmet Hut, the 49ers wore that silver helmet from 59-63. That is all I could find data for.

From logoserver.com :

SanFrancisco49ers51.GIF

Back when I truly hated the 49ers (because they regularly stomped my Saints), I was excited to hear they were ditching their classic "SF" logo to go with this monstrosity:

SF49ers.GIF

Alas, the idiot marketers aiming for a more "comprehensive" Bay Area appeal did not get their way and the Forty Whiners stuck with the SF.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 2 months later...

ok, this thing i feel has neared its climax.....(shaddup RC)

about a week ago I bid on a set of four 49ers media guides dating 1965, 1966, 1973, and 1979 on ebay. I won the bidding and have since recieved them in the mail.

the 1966 media guide has the prospector logo on the cover, and here is a scanned image of it (thanks to puckguy for scanning it for me)

49ersmediaguide66.jpg

and as a result, here is the finished product after three hours of cleaning up

49ers-primary46-67.gif

in the future I also plan to clean up the original team script from the above game programs and make a version that has the wordmark coming out of the top pistol.

about a week ago I bid on a set of four 49ers media guides dating 1965, 1966, 1973, and 1979 on ebay. I won the bidding and have since recieved them in the mail.

the 1966 media guide has the prospector logo on the cover, and here is a scanned image of it (thanks to puckguy for scanning it for me)

49ersmediaguide66.jpg

49ers-primary46-67.gif

in the future I also plan to clean up the original team script from the above game programs and make a version that has the wordmark coming out of the top pistol.

Nice pants. The Niners should have a uniform pair like that. B)

And BTW, why does he have a battery-powered screwdriver in his left hand? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

49ersmediaguide66.jpg

49ers-primary46-67.gif

Nice pants. The Niners should have a uniform pair like that. B)

And BTW, why does he have a battery-powered screwdriver in his left hand? :D

It's not a battery powered screwdriver, it's a soldering gun. See the smoke?

:P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived