2005 MLB Awards

NJTank

making Thome the new Wally Pipp

LOL. We can only be so lucky.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can't argue with any of these picks, though 3 Yanks just seems a bit...hmmm...wrong on so many levels. :D

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just curious, did you consider Giambi for comeback player in the AL or did the steriod thing make you discount him altogether?

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Just curious, did you consider Giambi for comeback player in the AL or did the steriod thing make you discount him altogether?

Coming back from Steroids is a joke he should not get rewarded for cheating.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well, he was legitimitly sick w/o steroids and had one heck of a year when it's almost guaranteed he's clean. That's gotta be worth some mention.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Here's what I disagree with:

AL Cy Young- Definately should go to Colon. I think that the fact that he won 21 games with a sputtering offense for most of the season is a much stronger feat than Rivera.

AL ROY- I honestly don't think that a call-up on a team loaded with sluggers is deserving of a ROY. I'd personally give it to Jonny Gomes of Tampa Bay, because he helped the DRays become a huge spoiler.

NL Manager of the Year- I really wouldn't credit Cox too much for the turnaround, with a player having a year like Andruw Jones. I'd give it to Frank Robinson, because of the huge turnaround that the Nationals had from their recent Montreal years.

VmWIn6B.png

Here's what I disagree with:

AL Cy Young- Definately should go to Colon. I think that the fact that he won 21 games with a sputtering offense for most of the season is a much stronger feat than Rivera.

AL ROY- I honestly don't think that a call-up on a team loaded with sluggers is deserving of a ROY. I'd personally give it to Jonny Gomes of Tampa Bay, because he helped the DRays become a huge spoiler.

NL Manager of the Year- I really wouldn't credit Cox too much for the turnaround, with a player having a year like Andruw Jones having such a huge year. I'd give it to Frank Robinson, because of the huge turnaround that the Nationals had from their recent Montreal years.

Wow. That's practically exactly what I was thinking.

Well, he was legitimitly sick w/o steroids and had one heck of a year when it's almost guaranteed he's clean. That's gotta be worth some mention.

Almost guarenteed he's clean?

The MLB doesn't test for HGH, which is what Giambi was using in the first place.

Besides, wasn't his sickness basically caused by steroids?

IUe6Hvh.png

The only one I have a problem with is NL MVP.

Andruw Jones gets too much credit IMO. I know, I'm a homer, blah, blah, blah. But really, I think Lee is far more deserving than Jones, and with Pujols minislump towards the end of the year, that would be easier to take than Jones.

I know Jones leads in RBI and HR, but his average is so low, and so is his average with RISP. Yes, nobody expected Atlanta to do good and they did, but Jones did not carry that team on his back. Players they just didn't expect to play great did. Jones had more around him than did either Lee or Pujols. Too many people base that on beginning of the year expectations

That leads me into my next semi-complaint. It's not really a complaint, because Bobby Cox is certainly deserving of the MOY. He took a team that looked like it had not shot and turned it into an easy division champion. What I don't like is the lack of consideration La Russa gets (I have no idea how much you considered him Tank, so I'm not commenting on your pick here). People assume La Russa just met expectations, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

If you had been told that their would be about an 60-80 game span (and I'm guessing on that) where the Cards would not have the same lineups back to back, and that those lineups would include at least 4 of John Rodriguez, Scott Seabol, Mike Mahoney, So Taguchi, John Mabry, Abe Nunez, Hector Luna and that those guys would be filling in for Sanders, Walker, Rolen, and Molina nearly every game during that span, what would your expectations have been? The Cards certainly wouldn't have been expected to wrap up the division in early september.

This team was worth of the name the Memphis Redbirds of St. Louis. Tons of minor leaguers came up with no time to gel with the team, and yet, they all managed to fill the roles of superstars. La Russa was a huge part of that. It's very possibly (and IMO is) his finest season of managing ever. And we're talking about a HOF shoo-in here. How can an easy HOF not get consideration in his finest season?

Anyways, I can't complain about Cox because he's a shoo-in as well, and this may have been his finest season. He deserves the award. I just think La Russa is as deserving and should be having his name mentioned more than it is.

Overall, real solid picks Tank.

I have to say I disagree on a lot of them.

Manager of the Year:

In the American League, sure, Ozzie was a good manager for the first half of the season, but where was his managing when they almost choked away the division? If anything, Joe Torre deserves this award because of how he handled the entire season. As for the National League, Phil Garner of the Astros should be a lock this year.

AL ROY: I'm not too sure on this one. Sure, Cano came in and produced when Tony Blo-mack couldn't do squat, but I wouldn't hesitate to give the ROY to Huston Street or Gustavo Chacin before giving it to Cano.

And, steroids or no steroids, this was a comeback season for Giambi.

espnsig.gif

Archived