BYU football concept

Mingjai

I was a little disappointed that BYU's new uniforms were simply the 80s uniforms with the royal blue changed to navy. I'm generally a traditionalist when it comes to college football uniforms, but I like BYU's updated identity package (the colors, logos, etc.) and it seems that the new (old) uniforms don't quite match this new identity.

Here's my compromise set of uniforms (I made with the Nike template), based a little on the Redskins throwbacks of a few years ago. The helmet is based on the updated 49ers look. It maintains the traditional look while fitting in with BYU's athletic identity. Let me know what you guys (and girls) think.

BYUUniform3.jpg

This is what they currently have (basically):

BYUUniform_Current.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Your blue jersey needs gold outlines on the digits, but I'm definitely feeling these. Honestly, I loved the bibs from a couple years back, but this is a nice compromise.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Your blue jersey needs gold outlines on the digits, but I'm definitely feeling these.  Honestly, I loved the bibs from a couple years back, but this is a nice compromise.

I actually didn't include the tan/gold outline on the home jerseys because I liked how the Redskins throwbacks didn't have them. I also think adding a gold outline on the numbers on the blue jerseys would demand adding a gold outline on the Y in the helmet decal. It would probably look good, but I guess I'm trying to be minimalist. Or maybe I'm just lazy. . . .

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I absolutely hated the "new" BYU uniforms (you know, the ones that are now old), especially the bibs. Those things were awful.

But I never did mind the gold. To me, the gold in those uniforms were the only saving grace.

You did a great job keeping the old look but adding a splash of gold. That looks saintly ... Latter-day saintly, that is.

I share your sentiments completely. However, I would have preferred to see them keep the modern helmet logo and fonts, and incorporating the white helmet, as opposed to toning them down so much, since I'm a huge fan of school identity standardization.

VmWIn6B.png

I share your sentiments completely. However, I would have preferred to see them keep the modern helmet logo and fonts, and incorporating the white helmet, as opposed to toning them down so much, since I'm a huge fan of school identity standardization.

In hindsight, they absolutely could have melded the good things about the new look (fonts, gold) and brought back what was right about the old look. I like the addition of gold; I also think they may have gone too far in bringing back the very old look with a darker blue.

But let's remember the school, alumni, and fan abse we're dealing with. The Crowton Era will be remembered for mediocre football, bib uniforms that were deemed illegal for use, and enough scandals and discipline problems than the Mormons would care to remember. To placate their fan abse, going back to the old, conservative look not only harkens back to the success of the Young/Detmer Era, but to LaVell Edwards and the squeaky-clean way he ran the program that the church could be proud of. BYU football is one of the most visible faces the LDS church has, and they need it to be what they want it to be, and to look like.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Like your concept and like what you said. It would have been better for the football team to adhear to the overall school look then to go out on their own with a new identity. I really like the old/new unis they had up until this year. You concept does a good job of combining old with the new. If the football insisted on changing I would have let him choose this compromise, or not changed at all.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but here's something I whipped up that not only maintains the color scheme, but keeps the identity standardized with the rest of the athletic program. C&C welcome.

byufootball.png

VmWIn6B.png

LMUPB...

I like the design, but it doesn't make me think BYU. The font doesn't look right, and the football team returning to the "Northwestern" sleeve stripes does more to refer back to the Yound/Detmer Eras than the "UCLA' style you used. Maybe if they made the middle stripe on the current sleeves gold, it could work.

And when did Ty Detmer go black? Will he ever go back? (Sorry...)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but here's something I whipped up that not only maintains the color scheme, but keeps the identity standardized with the rest of the athletic program. C&C welcome.

byufootball.png

Perfect.................except for both sets of socks.

SigReflect.png

Archived