Was watching Tenn V. Bama today..

Cyclopsis Joe

BAMA RULES!

No seriously, it made me wonder about the rules on fumbles.

During USC vs. ND, USC fumbled the ball, and it bounced out at around the 2. However, USC kept the ball.

When Tenn. fumbled today, it bouned out of the endzone and was a touchback for Alabama.

So, you only lose possession when it bounces out of the endzone? Or what?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Yes. If you fumble the ball and it goes out of bounds in the endzone it's a touchback. If it goes out of bounds the offense retains possession... but I think if it goes foward, the ball is placed where the fumble occured. I'm not completely sure about the last part -- but I think that's how it is.

IUe6Hvh.png

This rule has been around for ages. But, to be honest, I really don't know why it was put there in the first place. It does seem odd that a team would lose the ball because they fumbled it out of the end zone, but they keep the ball if they fumble it out of bounds.

to review...

if a fumble goes out of bounds in the field of play, the last team that had possession gets the ball back at that spot (IIRC). if the ball is fumbled out of the defense's endzone, it's ruled as a touchback and the defense gets the ball. obviously, if the offense fumbles out of its own endzone, it's a safety.

in Canadian football, though, the last team to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds gets possession, which is a holdover from rugby union IIRC.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Its a rule and I think a good rule it rewards goo defense and makes for exciting plays at the goaline.

Now wait a minute. Suppose a team marches down the field against this supposedly good defense, and then just fumbles the ball out of the end zone. That's good defense? That's a just reward?

Its a rule and I think a good rule it rewards goo defense and makes for exciting plays at the goaline.

Now wait a minute. Suppose a team marches down the field against this supposedly good defense, and then just fumbles the ball out of the end zone. That's good defense? That's a just reward?

if a team marches down the field and can't hold on to the ball and finish the job then they don't deserve any reward...the defense is rewarded for bending and not breaking...

oh and by the way....ROLL TIDE!!

Archived