Toronto to MLS

Brian in Boston

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milwaukee would seem to have a strong case to become team #14, with Peter Wilt at the helm. Also, looks like San Jose and Kansas City will be on the move, with MLS both unwilling to contract and unable to secure commitment from local ownership groups.

And a question to those of you who follow MLS: Why did pro soccer bomb so badly in Florida? That's something I've never understood, with what would seem to be a large potential soccer audience there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The debate about whether Rochester should get a team led me back to my perfect world notion of having a promotion and relegation system like in England.

Teams in the USL First Division, for example, could play for promotion to the MLS. Teams in the USL second division play for promotion to the first division, etc. etc. Maybe the USL already does this. I'm not entirely educated on how they operate.

Of course, this isn't likely to happen. The MLS seems to grant its franchises these days based on them having appropriate venues -- soccer-specific stadiums or plans for them. Some USL teams -- well Pittsburgh, anyway -- play in a minor league baseball stadiums or other compartively sub-par venues.

So economically, within the MLS business plan, this wouldn't fly.

But if they did do something like this, it would certainly give mid-sized to small market clubs and their fans reason to pay attention.

Just look at Wigan in the Premiership. They were just a club league 30 years ago and now they're battling at the top of the table in their first year in the top flight.

Milwaukee would seem to have a strong case to become team #14, with Peter Wilt at the helm.  Also, looks like San Jose and Kansas City will be on the move, with MLS both unwilling to contract and unable to secure commitment from local ownership groups.

And a question to those of you who follow MLS: Why did pro soccer bomb so badly in Florida?  That's something I've never understood, with what would seem to be a large potential soccer audience there.

I agree. I think Milwaukee should be home to a 14th MLS team. Also, you're right about the San Jose Earthquakes being on the move; they'll probably call Houston home but they may have to change names since there are no earthquakes in Texas, probably Houston Hurricane like the old NASL team that also played in Houston. Same for the KC Wizards; they might move across the state to St. Louis.

As for soccer bombing out in Florida, that's actually a good question!

YOZXkBG.png?1

The debate about whether Rochester should get a team led me back to my perfect world notion of having a promotion and relegation system like in England.

Teams in the USL First Division, for example, could play for promotion to the MLS. Teams in the USL second division play for promotion to the first division, etc. etc. Maybe the USL already does this. I'm not entirely educated on how they operate.

Of course, this isn't likely to happen. The MLS seems to grant its franchises these days based on them having appropriate venues -- soccer-specific stadiums or plans for them. Some USL teams -- well Pittsburgh, anyway -- play in a minor league baseball stadiums or other compartively sub-par venues.

So economically, within the MLS business plan, this wouldn't fly.

But if they did do something like this, it would certainly give mid-sized to small market clubs and their fans reason to pay attention.

Just look at Wigan in the Premiership. They were just a club league 30 years ago and now they're battling at the top of the table in their first year in the top flight.

This is actually a great idea and would be great for the sport in the US, which is unfortunately why it won't happen.

None of the owners are really interested in promoting the sport

More to the point, none of the American owners is interested in making a multi-million dollar investment in a top-flight professional sports franchise, only to have said team potentially get relegated to a second tier of competition.

Say what you want about cellar-dwelling teams in American major professional sports leagues, but at the end of the day they're still major pro sports teams. American owners and fans would see relegation as banishment to a "minor-league"... which would lead to a commensurate loss in fan support and revenue generation.

Bottom line? Promotion/relegation would never fly on the United States pro sports scene.

More to the point, none of the American owners is interested in making a multi-million dollar investment in a top-flight professional sports franchise, only to have said team potentially get relegated to a second tier of competition.

Say what you want about cellar-dwelling teams in American major professional sports leagues, but at the end of the day they're still major pro sports teams. American owners and fans would see relegation as banishment to a "minor-league"... which would lead to a commensurate loss in fan support and revenue generation.

Bottom line? Promotion/relegation would never fly on the United States pro sports scene.

I concur

YOZXkBG.png?1

I concur

It's true

I think you might see a team in St. Louis at some point. There's a great soccer history here with SLU, and the Steamers (old ones mainly, the new steamers haven't caught on really). Not to mention some of the MLS's best players are from St. Louis.

As far as 2 in Missouri, Kansas City and St. Louis are related like St. Louis is to Chicago. IE, not much.

What do you think about these alignments?

I think the alignments that have a 2nd team in Ohio - be it in Cleveland or in Cincinnati - are utterly ridiculous, as are the ones with 2 teams in Missouri. Ohio needs a 2nd MLS soccer team the way Hawai'i needs the NHL. The other ones are fairly obvious. I could see Houston.

What about Vancouver (BC, not Washington)? It's a large, worldly, international city. And I'd wonder about a city in the southeastern US, like Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh. It's where the population is headed, and there are large immigrant populations in those areas from soccer-friendly nations as well as fairly strong youth soccer and collegiate soccer programs. Not sure if they're willing to go back to Florida, which is a shame.

THe way I see it, you're right about Ohio getting another MLS team; and if they do, it will possibly be in Cleveland. I also agree with you about Houston, Vancouver, BC, Atlanta, and the two North Carolina cities (Charlotte & Raleigh-Durham). But what about Milwaukee and Philadelphia? Both cities are also good options for an MLS expansion team. Besides, they, like Houston, have proposed stadiums for potential expansion franchises. As for Florida, well, there's probably no chance that the MLS will return to Florida.

Speaking on behalf of all Raleigh, let me make it clear - we couldn't give two plops about the MLS, and putting a team here would be a phenomenal waste of time, talent and resources. It'd fold after one year.

nav-logo.png

Rumour has it that there might be a USL-1 team placed there, however; or, more specifically, in Cary. They're targeting the 2007 season.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So, about the stadium which will be home to Inter Toronto FC (one possible name for the Toronto MLS club), I believe it's going to be built on the original site of old Exhibition Stadium (former home of MLB's Blue Jays and CFL's Argonauts). As for the Milwaukee, if they get the team, I think the stadium would be built near Miller Park (home of MLB's Brewers).

YOZXkBG.png?1

So, about the stadium which will be home to Inter Toronto FC (one possible name for the Toronto MLS club), I believe it's going to be built on the original site of old Exhibition Stadium (former home of MLB's Blue Jays and CFL's Argonauts).

Approx the same area... they'll be tearing down the original hockey hall of fame to build it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So, about the stadium which will be home to Inter Toronto FC (one possible name for the Toronto MLS club), I believe it's going to be built on the original site of old Exhibition Stadium (former home of MLB's Blue Jays and CFL's Argonauts).

Approx the same area... they'll be tearing down the original hockey hall of fame to build it

Thanks. So where is the NEW Hockey Hall of Fame?

YOZXkBG.png?1

...Toronto.

...Toronto.

oh!

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived