Brewers Sunday Home Unis

Sec19Row53

I know...I've never understood what the deal was with 1989. They went 81-81 that year. If you want to do something besides 1982, why not 1987, when they won 13 games in a row and finished 91-71? Or 1992, when they went 92-70 and chased Toronto to the wire? 1989 is just dumb.

EDIT: On Brewerfan.net, people with connections to the team are saying "Think 1982" in regards to the new alts.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I don't get. The best I can figure is that they want different dates on different Cooperstown Collection caps.

The yellow adjustable one is 1978. That makes a certain amount of sense, since the logo was introduced in 1978.

pMLB2-1290765dt.jpg

The yellow fitted one is 1982. That also makes sense, since it was the year the club won the pennant.

3_640.jpg

The blue with yellow panel road version (for which I can't find a picture) also uses 1982. Makes sense.

Now it gets crazy. The all-blue home version, and the blue with white panel "batting helmet" version, use 1989. Why? Robin Yount's second MVP? Dan Plesac's third All-Star selection? I don't get it.

EDIT: On Brewerfan.net, people with connections to the team are saying "Think 1982" in regards to the new alts.

Well, we kinda knew that. The pinstripes, the colors, all were more or less confirmed.

If we can really believe that these people have connections to the team, perhaps that tells us that they will be using the old wordmark and block numbers. Maybe no names on the back?

The most traditional they could go is a direct replica of the classic, with buttons instead of a pull-over. Do you think they'll do that?

I still think we'll see the glove on the sleeve, but I don't know what other alterations they'll make. Wish I could watch the program....

Well, we kinda knew that. The pinstripes, the colors, all were more or less confirmed.

If we can really believe that these people have connections to the team, perhaps that tells us that they will be using the old wordmark and block numbers. Maybe no names on the back?

The most traditional they could go is a direct replica of the classic, with buttons instead of a pull-over. Do you think they'll do that?

I still think we'll see the glove on the sleeve, but I don't know what other alterations they'll make. Wish I could watch the program....

If you send me my tape of the Halloween game from 1994 (Packers-Bears MNF), I'll send you a tape of the show.

It's where I sit.

Here's an interesting question:

Will these uniforms have the block lettering, like THESE?

Or will they have the script lettering, like THESE?

The former was what they wore in 1982. I think the latter looks better myself, but that's just my opinion; yours may vary.

My "prediction"

Script, pinstripes, button up, solid blue cap.

aka...think 1992.

:D

The 1992 uniforms didn't have names on the home uniforms. Since this alt is a home uniform, even if they went 1992 they wouldn't have names on the back.

yount12.jpg

I'm almost positive that when the button-ups were introduced in 1991, neither had the name on it.

IIRC, the first Brewer uniform to have a name on the back was the 1992 road uniform, and in 1993 they were added to the home uniform as well. I can check that tonight.

Neither do I.

I expect that it'll depend on just how much a "throwback" they want these alternates to be.

I think they might be button-up versions of the throwbacks they wore in 2003:

rich709.jpg

star709.jpg

If that's the case, then likely no names. If, however, they do something different for the wordmark, then they'll probably have names.

Too many variables for me to be comfortable making a real prediction.

Gothamite, Re: the block numbers... I don't know if you've ever seen the jerseys that the Brewers minor leaguers wear during spring training but they are the current model navy blue with white block numbers trimmed in gold. At least they were in 2004, the last time I was in Maryvale. When I first saw them, I thought maybe the Brewers were tweeking with the minor league unis just to see how this or that would look. I really liked how the old block numbers looked on the current jersey. It was pretty sharp.

Gothamite, Re: the block numbers... I don't know if you've ever seen the jerseys that the Brewers minor leaguers wear during spring training but they are the current model navy blue with white block numbers trimmed in gold. At least they were in 2004, the last time I was in Maryvale. When I first saw them, I thought maybe the Brewers were tweeking with the minor league unis just to see how this or that would look. I really liked how the old block numbers looked on the current jersey. It was pretty sharp.

You can see these navy-with-block uniforms in the movie Mr. 3000, when the players are shown from afar warming up.

I'm a Reds fan, and we have our own uniform issues I think need solving, so I have no vested interest in the Brewers' unis, but I just think the retro ball in glove "mb" is one of the coolest logos in MLB. The current set, to me, looks too perfect, too clean, and doesn't make me think of anything. If I were the Brewers' owners, I would want people to think of Robin Yount when they took the field, and looking like him doesn't hurt. I for one hope this is a gradual going back to the old logo full time. It's just too cool to keep in mothballs. The current set says nothing. My biggest thing, though, is that I want the word "Milwaukee" on the road set. I think that should almost be a requirement.

Archived